Mailing List Archive: Python: Python

[ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in a hacker friendly way.

kroger at pedrokroger

Jul 30, 2012, 11:01 AM

[ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in a hacker friendly way.

Pyknon is a simple music library for Python hackers. With Pyknon you
can generate Midi files quickly and reason about musical proprieties.
It works with Python 2.7 and 3.2.

Pyknon is very simple to use, here's a basic example to create 4 notes
and save into a MIDI file::

from pyknon.genmidi import Midi
from pyknon.music import NoteSeq

notes1 = NoteSeq("D4 F#8 A Bb4")
midi = Midi(1, tempo=90)
midi.seq_notes(notes1, track=0)
midi.write("demo.mid")

It's available on PyPI and its homepage is
http://kroger.github.com/pyknon/

Best regards,

Pedro
-----
http://pedrokroger.net
http://musicforgeeksandnerds.com

ethan at stoneleaf

Jul 30, 2012, 11:33 AM

Re: [ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in a hacker friendly way. [In reply to]

Pedro Kroger wrote:
> Pyknon is a simple music library for Python hackers.

Sounds cool. How is 'Pyknon' pronounced?

> It's available on PyPI and its homepage is
> http://kroger.github.com/pyknon/

I would suggest you change the theme -- using Firefox 3.6 the page is
very difficult to read.

~Ethan~

kroger at pedrokroger

Jul 30, 2012, 11:37 AM

Re: [ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in a hacker friendly way. [In reply to]

On Jul 30, 2012, at 3:33 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan [at] stoneleaf> wrote:

> Pedro Kroger wrote:
>> Pyknon is a simple music library for Python hackers.
>
> Sounds cool. How is 'Pyknon' pronounced?

I pronounce it similarly as google translate does:

http://translate.google.com/#English|English|Pyknon

It's a musical Greek term, but since it's a Python package, I think it's acceptable
to pronounce the Py part as "pie" ;-)

>> It's available on PyPI and its homepage is
>> http://kroger.github.com/pyknon/
>
> I would suggest you change the theme -- using Firefox 3.6 the page is very difficult to read.

Thanks for the report. Do you mind if I ask why you are using such an old version?
(It looks fine with Firefox 14.0.1)

Cheers,

Pedro
-----
http://pedrokroger.net
http://musicforgeeksandnerds.com

ethan at stoneleaf

Jul 30, 2012, 11:58 AM

Re: [ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in a hacker friendly way. [In reply to]

Pedro Kroger wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2012, at 3:33 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan [at] stoneleaf
> <mailto:ethan [at] stoneleaf>> wrote:
>
>> Pedro Kroger wrote:
>>> Pyknon is a simple music library for Python hackers.
>>
>> Sounds cool. How is 'Pyknon' pronounced?
>
> I pronounce it similarly as google translate does:

So the 'k' is pronounced. Okay.

>> I would suggest you change the theme -- using Firefox 3.6 the page is
>> very difficult to read.
>
> Thanks for the report. Do you mind if I ask why you are using such an
> old version?
> (It looks fine with Firefox 14.0.1)

That version works for me -- I don't like upgrading to a new version of
bugs if I don't have to. ;)

I checked the page on a coworker's machine who does have a recent
version, and it is a little better, but it is still very faint (thin
grey letters on a white background is hard to read). With version 3 the
thin grey letters are also broken, making it even worse.

~Ethan~

ramit.prasad at jpmorgan

Jul 30, 2012, 12:32 PM

RE: [ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in a hacker friendly way. [In reply to]

> >> I would suggest you change the theme -- using Firefox 3.6 the page is
> >> very difficult to read.
> >
> > Thanks for the report. Do you mind if I ask why you are using such an
> > old version?
> > (It looks fine with Firefox 14.0.1)
>

> That version works for me -- I don't like upgrading to a new version of
> bugs if I don't have to. ;)

Why do you prefer to keep your old security holes?

Ramit

steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood

Jul 30, 2012, 7:25 PM

Re: [ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in a hacker friendly way. [In reply to]

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:32:47 +0000, Prasad, Ramit wrote:

>> > Thanks for the report. Do you mind if I ask why you are using such an
>> > old version?
>> > (It looks fine with Firefox 14.0.1)

Firefox 3.6 is not "such an old version". It is the currently supported
version in RHEL and Centos, and under the rebranded name Iceweasel,
Debian Squeeze.

>> That version works for me -- I don't like upgrading to a new version of
>> bugs if I don't have to. ;)
>
> Why do you prefer to keep your old security holes?

I don't. But in my experience, the risk of security breaches is *much*
less than the chance that the new version will break functionality,
introduce bugs, have a worse user interface, and generally be a step
backwards rather than forward.

Security fixes are orthogonal to new features and UI changes. Any
software which forces you to take unwanted new features and accept UI
degradation in order to get security fixes is doing the wrong thing, and
almost certainly adding new security holes as fast as they remove them.

When it comes to browsers, I would rather rely on dedicated security
features like NoScript that has a stable UI and continual functional
improvements, than to get on the Firefox upgrade treadmill. When I
upgrade my OS, I'll get a new major release of Firefox. With luck, all
the kinks will be ironed out by then. Until then, Firefox 3.6 is stable
and works.

Besides, it is amazing what a better browsing experience you get by
disabling 99% of all Flash and 95% of all Javascript.

Python is one of the few cases where I can implicitly trust that each
upgrade is an actual *upgrade*, not a downgrade with a higher version
number like KDE 3 -> KDE 4, or a sidegrade, like Firefox.

--
Steven

peter at www

Jul 31, 2012, 8:19 PM

Re: [ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in a hacker friendly way. [In reply to]

On 2012-07-30, Pedro Kroger <kroger [at] pedrokroger> wrote:
> Pyknon is a simple music library for Python hackers. With Pyknon
> you can generate Midi files quickly and reason about musical
> proprieties. It works with Python 2.7 and 3.2.
> ... a basic example to create 4 notes and save into a MIDI file:
> from pyknon.genmidi import Midi
> from pyknon.music import NoteSeq
> notes1 = NoteSeq("D4 F#8 A Bb4")
> midi = Midi(1, tempo=90)
> midi.seq_notes(notes1, track=0)
> midi.write("demo.mid")
> It's available on PyPI and its homepage is
> http://kroger.github.com/pyknon/
> Pedro
> http://pedrokroger.net http://musicforgeeksandnerds.com

I'll check it out. It probably fits into a whole software
ecosystem that you're putting together ...

It's a crowded area, e.g. my midi stuff is at:
http://www.pjb.com.au/midi/index.html
and I'd probably do the above example by:
~> muscript -midi <<EOT >demo.mid
| 3/4 2.0
=1 treble 4 D 8 [F# A] 4 Bb
EOT
see:
http://www.pjb.com.au/muscript/index.html
but also relevant would be my MIDI.py, see:
http://www.pjb.com.au/midi/MIDI.html
which is also available in call-compatible Lua version:
http://www.pjb.com.au/comp/lua/MIDI.html
and is closely related to the Perl CPAN module.

You could consider posting Pyknon to comp.music.midi ;
it's very low traffic, but some real gurus lurk there.

All the best with your music,
Peter

--
Peter Billam www.pjb.com.au www.pjb.com.au/comp/contact.html

kroger at pedrokroger

Jul 31, 2012, 9:31 PM

Re: [ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in a hacker friendly way. [In reply to]

On Aug 1, 2012, at 12:19 AM, Peter Billam <peter [at] www> wrote:

> I'll check it out. It probably fits into a whole software
> ecosystem that you're putting together

yes, I use it for my book, Music for Geeks and Nerds and for teaching.

> It's a crowded area, e.g. my midi stuff is at:
> http://www.pjb.com.au/midi/index.html

You have very interesting stuff, I'll check them out.

> and I'd probably do the above example by:
> ~> muscript -midi <<EOT >demo.mid
> | 3/4 2.0
> =1 treble 4 D 8 [F# A] 4 Bb
> EOT

Nice. This reminded me to include a less simple example. After all,
the whole point of pyknon is to be able to generate music programmatically
using Python:

http://kroger.github.com/pyknon/

> You could consider posting Pyknon to comp.music.midi ;
> it's very low traffic, but some real gurus lurk there.

Good idea, thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Pedro
-----
http://pedrokroger.net
http://musicforgeeksandnerds.com

sanjaybwaj at gmail

Re: [ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in a hacker friendly way. [In reply to]

Thanks a lot, Sir. Just what I was looking for. This is a fantastic library for python.