Mailing List Archive: Python: Dev

GitHub mirror (Was: Bitbucket mirror?)

techtonik at gmail

Jul 4, 2012, 1:42 AM

GitHub mirror (Was: Bitbucket mirror?)

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Eli Bendersky <eliben [at] gmail> wrote:

> The devguide (http://docs.python.org/devguide/committing.html) says:
>
> Bitbucket also maintain an up to date clone of the main cpython repository
> that can be used as the basis for a new clone or patch queue.
>
> [the link goes to https://bitbucket.org/mirror/cpython/overview]

This one is better than Atlassian's (looks nice, shorter URL) and
worked long before Atlassian promotion as "makers of Bitbucket", which
is dead wrong BTW, because everybody knows they bought BB. I don't
remember if I commented on the Python Insider or if it was censored.
Whatever.. it hurts Atlassian, not me.

On the subject. Is there a mirror of CPython on GitHub?
I abandoned my efforts to create online editor for docs, which should
have been both web fronted independent, maintainable and clean. It
appeared much easier to just use GitHub - so far it is the only one
from open source code hosting services that directly commits online
changes to repository (and allows anonymous to do this). I've made
more than a dozen proposal for fixing docs, because as a matter of
fact - filling a bug AND explaining why docs are wrong, why they need
to be fixed, what should be added - all of this is a way *much easier*
(and less time consuming!) than just fixing them. Unfortunately.

petri at digip

Jul 5, 2012, 5:49 AM

Re: GitHub mirror (Was: Bitbucket mirror?) [In reply to]

https://github.com/akheron/cpython

> changes to repository (and allows anonymous to do this). I've made
> more than a dozen proposal for fixing docs, because as a matter of
> fact - filling a bug AND explaining why docs are wrong, why they need
> to be fixed, what should be added - all of this is a way *much easier*
> (and less time consuming!) than just fixing them. Unfortunately.

You won't get any changes in to CPython by creating pull requests. We
use http://bugs.python.org/ for that, sorry.

ctb at msu

Jul 5, 2012, 9:01 AM

Re: GitHub mirror (Was: Bitbucket mirror?) [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 03:49:52PM +0300, Petri Lehtinen wrote:
> anatoly techtonik wrote:
> > On the subject. Is there a mirror of CPython on GitHub?
>
> https://github.com/akheron/cpython
>
> > changes to repository (and allows anonymous to do this). I've made
> > more than a dozen proposal for fixing docs, because as a matter of
> > fact - filling a bug AND explaining why docs are wrong, why they need
> > to be fixed, what should be added - all of this is a way *much easier*
> > (and less time consuming!) than just fixing them. Unfortunately.
>
> You won't get any changes in to CPython by creating pull requests. We
> use http://bugs.python.org/ for that, sorry.

Question -- is there a reason to abide by this rule for docs? That is, if we
could get a sympathetic core dev to look at pull requests for docs as part of
a streamlined process, would it cause problems?

(What I'm really asking is whether or the bugs.python.org process is
considered critical for potentially minor doc changes and additions.)

thanks,
--titus
--
C. Titus Brown, ctb [at] msu

martin at v

Jul 5, 2012, 11:27 AM

Re: GitHub mirror (Was: Bitbucket mirror?) [In reply to]

>> You won't get any changes in to CPython by creating pull requests. We
>> use http://bugs.python.org/ for that, sorry.
>
> Question -- is there a reason to abide by this rule for docs? That is, if we
> could get a sympathetic core dev to look at pull requests for docs as part of
> a streamlined process, would it cause problems?

How do you communicate a "pull request"? On bitbucket, there is a
"pull request"
UI resulting in a tracker item being generated (and an email being sent), but
hg.python.org doesn't have a notion of pull requests. Of course, you could
use any communication means (email, telephone call, carrier pigeon) to request
a pull from a "sympathetic core dev".

> (What I'm really asking is whether or the bugs.python.org process is
> considered critical for potentially minor doc changes and additions.)

The sympathetic core dev is mostly free to bypass any submission process
initially; commits that bypass established procedures will likely be
questioned
only after the fact.

In the specific case, I'd be worried to verify that the submitter has provided
a contributor form. That's easy to do in the bug tracker, but difficult to do
in an offline pull request. Of course, for a really minor doc change
(e.g. typo
fixes), no contrib form is necessary.

Regards,
Martin

g.brandl at gmx

Jul 6, 2012, 12:27 PM

Re: GitHub mirror (Was: Bitbucket mirror?) [In reply to]

On 04.07.2012 10:42, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Eli Bendersky <eliben [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> The devguide (http://docs.python.org/devguide/committing.html) says:
>>
>> Bitbucket also maintain an up to date clone of the main cpython repository
>> that can be used as the basis for a new clone or patch queue.
>>
>> [the link goes to https://bitbucket.org/mirror/cpython/overview]
>
> This one is better than Atlassian's (looks nice, shorter URL) and
> worked long before Atlassian promotion as "makers of Bitbucket", which
> is dead wrong BTW, because everybody knows they bought BB. I don't
> remember if I commented on the Python Insider or if it was censored.
> Whatever.. it hurts Atlassian, not me.
>
> On the subject. Is there a mirror of CPython on GitHub?
> I abandoned my efforts to create online editor for docs, which should
> have been both web fronted independent, maintainable and clean. It
> appeared much easier to just use GitHub - so far it is the only one
> from open source code hosting services that directly commits online
> changes to repository (and allows anonymous to do this). I've made
> more than a dozen proposal for fixing docs, because as a matter of
> fact - filling a bug AND explaining why docs are wrong, why they need
> to be fixed, what should be added - all of this is a way *much easier*
> (and less time consuming!) than just fixing them. Unfortunately.

Then you didn't read http://docs.python.org/bugs -- an email to docs [at] python
is enough. If the bug/change is minor, it is usually taken care of right away,
if it is major, we (mostly Sandro -- thanks Sandro -- and I) create a tracker
item for you.

Georg