Mailing List Archive: Python: Dev

Fwd: Re: Add os.path.resolve to simplify the use of os.readlink

ironfroggy at gmail

Jun 21, 2012, 4:34 AM

Fwd: Re: Add os.path.resolve to simplify the use of os.readlink

---------- Forwarded message ---------- (whoops from my phone)

On Jun 21, 2012 6:32 AM, "Armin Ronacher" <armin.ronacher [at] active-4>
wrote:

> Due to an user error on my part I was not using os.readlink correctly.
> Since links can be relative to their location I think it would make sense
> to provide an os.path.resolve helper that automatically returns the
> absolute path:
>
> def resolve(filename):
> try:
> target = os.readlink(filename)
> except OSError as e:
> if e.errno == errno.EINVAL:
> return abspath(filename)
> raise
> return normpath(join(dirname(filename), target))
>
> The above implementation also does not fail if an entity exists but is not
> a link and just returns the absolute path of the given filename in that
> case.

Does it need to be an absolute path, and what if the advantage of that? Can
it returned absolute if that's what you gave it, and relative otherwise?