Mailing List Archive: Python: Dev

Python 3.3 on Windows 2000

martin at v

Jun 3, 2012, 8:32 AM

Python 3.3 on Windows 2000

It seems that by moving to VS 2010, we have killed Windows 2000 support,
for the same reason VS 2012 would kill XP support: Windows 2000
apparently won't recognize the .exe files as executables anymore.
I haven't actually tested this: can somebody please confirm?

A year ago, Brian put a statement into PEP 11 that 3.3 would support
Windows 2000 still, but with a warning. Under my recent PEP change,
Windows 2000 does not need to be supported anymore since 13.07.2010,
when Microsoft's extended support expired.

So I propose to just remove the claim from the PEP that 3.3 would
still be supported, and not go through any notification period.

Objections?

As a consequence, we could then change some of the deferred-loading
stuff for "new" (i.e. XP+) API into proper linking.

Regards,
Martin

larry at hastings

Jun 3, 2012, 9:18 AM

Re: Python 3.3 on Windows 2000 [In reply to]

On 06/03/2012 08:32 AM, "Martin v. L÷wis" wrote:
> So I propose to just remove the claim from the PEP that 3.3 would
> still be supported, and not go through any notification period.

Did you mean

s/3.3/Windows 2000/

?

//arry/

martin at v

Jun 3, 2012, 12:31 PM

Re: Python 3.3 on Windows 2000 [In reply to]

On 03.06.2012 18:18, Larry Hastings wrote:
> On 06/03/2012 08:32 AM, "Martin v. L÷wis" wrote:
>> So I propose to just remove the claim from the PEP that 3.3 would
>> still be supported, and not go through any notification period.
>
> Did you mean
>
> s/3.3/Windows 2000/
>
> ?

I meant "that 3.3 would support Windows 2000".

Regards,
Martin