Mailing List Archive: Python: Dev

outdated info on download pages for older versions

carl at oddbird

outdated info on download pages for older versions

Hi all,

Are the download pages for older Python versions supposed to be kept up
to date at all? I just noticed that the 2.4.6 download page
(http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.6/) says things like
"Python 2.4 is now in security-fix-only mode" (whereas in fact it no
longer gets even security fixes), and "Python 2.6 is the latest release
of Python."

While checking to see if there was a SIG that would be more appropriate
for this question, I also noticed that if one clicks on Community |
Mailing Lists in the left sidebar of python.org, there's a "Special
Interest Groups" link under "Mailing Lists" which is a 404 (not to
mention redundant, as there's also one parallel to "Mailing Lists" that
works).

(Please do let me know if there is a more appropriate forum for website
issues/questions).

Carl

tjreedy at udel

Re: outdated info on download pages for older versions [In reply to]

On 5/2/2012 10:16 AM, Carl Meyer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are the download pages for older Python versions supposed to be kept up
> to date at all? I just noticed that the 2.4.6 download page
> (http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.6/) says things like
> "Python 2.4 is now in security-fix-only mode" (whereas in fact it no
> longer gets even security fixes), and "Python 2.6 is the latest release
> of Python."
>
> While checking to see if there was a SIG that would be more appropriate
> for this question, I also noticed that if one clicks on Community |
> Mailing Lists in the left sidebar of python.org, there's a "Special
> Interest Groups" link under "Mailing Lists" which is a 404 (not to
> mention redundant, as there's also one parallel to "Mailing Lists" that
> works).
>
> (Please do let me know if there is a more appropriate forum for website
> issues/questions).

I would send the above to webmaster [at] python (should be at the bottom
of pages). We develop CPython but do not directly manage the website.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

fuzzyman at voidspace

Re: outdated info on download pages for older versions [In reply to]

On 2 May 2012, at 16:55, Terry Reedy wrote:

> On 5/2/2012 10:16 AM, Carl Meyer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Are the download pages for older Python versions supposed to be kept up
>> to date at all? I just noticed that the 2.4.6 download page
>> (http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.6/) says things like
>> "Python 2.4 is now in security-fix-only mode" (whereas in fact it no
>> longer gets even security fixes), and "Python 2.6 is the latest release
>> of Python."
>>
>> While checking to see if there was a SIG that would be more appropriate
>> for this question, I also noticed that if one clicks on Community |
>> Mailing Lists in the left sidebar of python.org, there's a "Special
>> Interest Groups" link under "Mailing Lists" which is a 404 (not to
>> mention redundant, as there's also one parallel to "Mailing Lists" that
>> works).
>>
>> (Please do let me know if there is a more appropriate forum for website
>> issues/questions).
>
> I would send the above to webmaster [at] python (should be at the bottom of pages). We develop CPython but do not directly manage the website.

Not true. The download pages are administered by the release managers not the web team.

For the record, the best way of contacting the web team (such as it is) is the pydotorg-www mailing list. There are precious few people (even fewer than there are in the web team...) responding to emails on the webmaster alias. :-)

Michael

> --
> Terry Jan Reedy

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil
-- the sqlite blessing
http://www.sqlite.org/different.html

ezio.melotti at gmail

Re: outdated info on download pages for older versions [In reply to]

On 02/05/2012 19.33, Michael Foord wrote:
> On 2 May 2012, at 16:55, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> I would send the above to webmaster [at] python (should be at the bottom of pages). We develop CPython but do not directly manage the website.
> Not true. The download pages are administered by the release managers not the web team.
>
> For the record, the best way of contacting the web team (such as it is) is the pydotorg-www mailing list. There are precious few people (even fewer than there are in the web team...) responding to emails on the webmaster alias. :-)
>
> Michael

I'm pretty sure that several core devs are able (and possibly willing)
to help out with the website, but AFAIU they have to request commit
right for a separate repo where the website lives or report issues via
mail. Is there any practical reason why the repo for the website is not
on hg with all the other repos (cpython/devguide/peps/etc.) except that
no one ported it yet?

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti

brian at python

Re: outdated info on download pages for older versions [In reply to]

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 02/05/2012 19.33, Michael Foord wrote:
>>
>> On 2 May 2012, at 16:55, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>>
>>> I would send the above to webmaster [at] python (should be at the bottom
>>> of pages). We develop CPython but do not directly manage the website.
>>
>> Not true. The download pages are administered by the release managers not
>> the web team.
>>
>> For the record, the best way of contacting the web team (such as it is) is
>> the pydotorg-www mailing list. There are precious few people (even fewer
>> than there are in the web team...) responding to emails on the webmaster
>> alias. :-)
>>
>> Michael
>

> I'm pretty sure that several core devs are able (and possibly willing) to
> help out with the website, but AFAIU they have to request commit right for a
> separate repo where the website lives or report issues via mail.  Is there
> any practical reason why the repo for the website is not on hg with all the
> other repos (cpython/devguide/peps/etc.) except that no one ported it yet?

I don't know if there's a practical reason, but given that the website
will eventually be changing anyway, I think it's a waste of time to
port it to hg. You'd also have to port the build chain to hg, since it
rebuilds the site when svn is updated.

Then by the time you're done, there's zero net gain and it all gets thrown away.

martin at v

Re: outdated info on download pages for older versions [In reply to]

On 02.05.2012 17:55, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 5/2/2012 10:16 AM, Carl Meyer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Are the download pages for older Python versions supposed to be kept up
>> to date at all? I just noticed that the 2.4.6 download page
>> (http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.6/) says things like
>> "Python 2.4 is now in security-fix-only mode" (whereas in fact it no
>> longer gets even security fixes), and "Python 2.6 is the latest release
>> of Python."
>>
>> While checking to see if there was a SIG that would be more appropriate
>> for this question, I also noticed that if one clicks on Community |
>> Mailing Lists in the left sidebar of python.org, there's a "Special
>> Interest Groups" link under "Mailing Lists" which is a 404 (not to
>> mention redundant, as there's also one parallel to "Mailing Lists" that
>> works).
>>
>> (Please do let me know if there is a more appropriate forum for website
>> issues/questions).
>
> I would send the above to webmaster [at] python (should be at the bottom
> of pages).

Please don't (unless you want your message ignored).

Regards,
Martin

martin at v

Re: outdated info on download pages for older versions [In reply to]

> Are the download pages for older Python versions supposed to be kept up
> to date at all?

I occasionally update them when I see issues with them. Your specific
issue, I missed so far.

If you would like to make this kind of update, please let me know.

Regards,
Martin

fuzzyman at voidspace

Re: outdated info on download pages for older versions [In reply to]

On 2 May 2012, at 18:06, Ezio Melotti wrote:

> On 02/05/2012 19.33, Michael Foord wrote:
>> On 2 May 2012, at 16:55, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>> I would send the above to webmaster [at] python (should be at the bottom of pages). We develop CPython but do not directly manage the website.
>> Not true. The download pages are administered by the release managers not the web team.
>>
>> For the record, the best way of contacting the web team (such as it is) is the pydotorg-www mailing list. There are precious few people (even fewer than there are in the web team...) responding to emails on the webmaster alias. :-)
>>
>> Michael
>
> I'm pretty sure that several core devs are able (and possibly willing) to help out with the website, but AFAIU they have to request commit right for a separate repo where the website lives or report issues via mail. Is there any practical reason why the repo for the website is not on hg with all the other repos (cpython/devguide/peps/etc.) except that no one ported it yet?

Anyone willing to assist with website maintenance (even occasional typo fixes) should email their ssh keys to the pydotorg [at] python mailing list (no need to join) and send an intro to the pydotorg-www mailing list (preferable to join).

Michael