Mailing List Archive: Python: Dev

Another buildslave - Ubuntu again

senthil at uthcode

Another buildslave - Ubuntu again

Hello,

I just got a Ubuntu Server running at my disposal, which could be
connected 24/7 for at least next 3 months. I am not sure how helpful
it would be to have another buildbot on Ubuntu, but i wanted to play
with it for a while (as I have more comfort with Ubuntu than any other
Unix flavor) before I could change it to cover as OS which is not
already covered by the buildbots.

As instructed here - http://wiki.python.org/moin/BuildBot could
someone please help create a slavename/slavepasswd on
dinsdale.python.org.
Also, I think the instructions in the wiki could be improved. I was
not able to su - buildbot after installing through package manager. I
shall edit it once I have set it up and running.

Thanks,
Senthil

rosuav at gmail

Re: Another buildslave - Ubuntu again [In reply to]

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Senthil Kumaran <senthil [at] uthcode> wrote:
> Also, I think the instructions in the wiki could be improved. I was
> not able to su - buildbot after installing through package manager. I
> shall edit it once I have set it up and running.

The page does say: """... create a new user "buildbot" if it doesn't
exist (your package manager might have done it for you)""", but it'd
be nice if it could clarify which are known to do it and which are
known not to, eg "(the Debian and Red Hat package managers will do
this for you)". Or is that too much of a moving target to be worth
trying to specify?

ChrisA

martin at v

Re: Another buildslave - Ubuntu again [In reply to]

On 02.05.2012 05:13, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Senthil Kumaran<senthil [at] uthcode> wrote:
>> Also, I think the instructions in the wiki could be improved. I was
>> not able to su - buildbot after installing through package manager. I
>> shall edit it once I have set it up and running.
>
> The page does say: """... create a new user "buildbot" if it doesn't
> exist (your package manager might have done it for you)""", but it'd
> be nice if it could clarify which are known to do it and which are
> known not to, eg "(the Debian and Red Hat package managers will do
> this for you)". Or is that too much of a moving target to be worth
> trying to specify?

I think a buildbot admin should be able to figure out what user the
buildbot to run under himself; if that already is a challenge, it might
be better if he don't run a build slave.

Regards,
Martin

martin at v

Re: Another buildslave - Ubuntu again [In reply to]

> I just got a Ubuntu Server running at my disposal, which could be
> connected 24/7 for at least next 3 months. I am not sure how helpful
> it would be to have another buildbot on Ubuntu, but i wanted to play
> with it for a while (as I have more comfort with Ubuntu than any other
> Unix flavor) before I could change it to cover as OS which is not
> already covered by the buildbots.

I'm not sure how useful it is to have a build slave which you can't
commit to having for more than 3 months. So I'm -0 on adding this
slave, but it is up to Antoine to decide.

Regards,
Martin

senthil at uthcode

Re: Another buildslave - Ubuntu again [In reply to]

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin [at] v> wrote:
> I'm not sure how useful it is to have a build slave which you can't
> commit to having for more than 3 months. So I'm -0 on adding this
> slave, but it is up to Antoine to decide.

I am likely switch to places within 3 months, but I am hoping that
having a 24/7 connected system could provide some experience for
running a dedicated system in the longer run.

Thanks,
Senthil

martin at v

Re: Another buildslave - Ubuntu again [In reply to]

On 02.05.2012 08:07, Senthil Kumaran wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM, "Martin v. Löwis"<martin [at] v> wrote:
>> I'm not sure how useful it is to have a build slave which you can't
>> commit to having for more than 3 months. So I'm -0 on adding this
>> slave, but it is up to Antoine to decide.
>
> I am likely switch to places within 3 months, but I am hoping that
> having a 24/7 connected system could provide some experience for
> running a dedicated system in the longer run.

You are talking about experience that you gain, right? Some of the build
slaves have been connected for many years by now, so "we"
(the buildbot admins) already have plenty experience, which can
be summarized as "Unix good, Windows bad".

I suggest that you can still gain the experience when you are able to
provide a longer-term slave. You are then still free to drop out of
this at any time, so you don't really need to commit to supporting
this for years - but knowing that it likely is only for 3 months
might be too much effort for too little gain.

If you want to learn more about buildbot, I suggest that you also
setup a master on your system. You will have to find one of the hg
pollers as a change source, or additionally setup a local clone with
a post-receive hook which pulls cpython every five minutes or so
through a cron job, and posts changes to the local master.

Regards,
Martin

solipsis at pitrou

Re: Another buildslave - Ubuntu again [In reply to]

On Wed, 2 May 2012 14:07:09 +0800
Senthil Kumaran <senthil [at] uthcode> wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM, "Martin v. Lwis" <martin [at] v> wrote:
> > I'm not sure how useful it is to have a build slave which you can't
> > commit to having for more than 3 months. So I'm -0 on adding this
> > slave, but it is up to Antoine to decide.
>
> I am likely switch to places within 3 months, but I am hoping that
> having a 24/7 connected system could provide some experience for
> running a dedicated system in the longer run.

What are the characteristics of your machine? We already have several
Linux x86/x86-64 buildbots... That said, we could also toy with other
build options if someone has a request about that.

Regards

Antoine.

solipsis at pitrou

Re: Another buildslave - Ubuntu again [In reply to]

On Wed, 2 May 2012 13:13:15 +1000
Chris Angelico <rosuav [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Senthil Kumaran <senthil [at] uthcode> wrote:
> > Also, I think the instructions in the wiki could be improved. I was
> > not able to su - buildbot after installing through package manager. I
> > shall edit it once I have set it up and running.
>
> The page does say: """... create a new user "buildbot" if it doesn't
> exist (your package manager might have done it for you)""", but it'd
> be nice if it could clarify which are known to do it and which are
> known not to, eg "(the Debian and Red Hat package managers will do
> this for you)". Or is that too much of a moving target to be worth
> trying to specify?

That page would probably like a good cleanup. I don't even think
creating an user is required - it's just good practice, and you
probably want that user to have as few privileges as possible.

Regards

Antoine.

senthil at uthcode

Re: Another buildslave - Ubuntu again [In reply to]

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:

> What are the characteristics of your machine? We already have several
> Linux x86/x86-64 buildbots... That said, we could also toy with other
> build options if someone has a request about that.

It is not very unique. It is Intel x86 (32 bit) and 1 GB ram. It is
running Ubuntu Server edition. Yeah if additional build options (or
additional software configuration options) or some alternative
coverage could be thought off with current config itself, I could do
that.

Thanks,
Senthil

solipsis at pitrou

Re: Another buildslave - Ubuntu again [In reply to]

On Thu, 3 May 2012 00:25:05 +0800
Senthil Kumaran <senthil [at] uthcode> wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
>
> > What are the characteristics of your machine? We already have several
> > Linux x86/x86-64 buildbots... That said, we could also toy with other
> > build options if someone has a request about that.
>
> It is not very unique. It is Intel x86 (32 bit) and 1 GB ram. It is
> running Ubuntu Server edition. Yeah if additional build options (or
> additional software configuration options) or some alternative
> coverage could be thought off with current config itself, I could do
> that.

Daily code coverage builds would be nice, but that's probably beyond
what the current infrastructure can offer. It would be nice if someone
wants to investigate that.

Regards

Antoine.

senthil at uthcode

Re: Another buildslave - Ubuntu again [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
> Daily code coverage builds would be nice, but that's probably beyond
> what the current infrastructure can offer. It would be nice if someone
> wants to investigate that.

Code coverage buildbots would indeed be good. I could give a try on
this. What kind of infra changes would be required? I presume, it is
the server side that you are referring to.

Thank you,
Senthil

martin at v

Re: Another buildslave - Ubuntu again [In reply to]

> That page would probably like a good cleanup. I don't even think
> creating an user is required - it's just good practice, and you
> probably want that user to have as few privileges as possible.

That's indeed the motivation. Buildbot slave operators need to
recognize that they are opening their machines to execution of
arbitrary code, even though this could only be abused by committers.

But suppose a committer loses the laptop, which has his SSH key
on it, then anybody getting the key could commit malicious code,
which then gets executed by all build slaves. Of course, it would
be possible to find out whose key has been used (although *not*
from the commit message), and revoke that, but the damage might
already be done.

Regards,
Martin

P.S. Another attack vector is through the master: if somebody
hacks into the machine running the master, they can also compromise
all slaves. Of course, we are trying to make it really hard to
break into python.org.

martin at v

Re: Another buildslave - Ubuntu again [In reply to]

On 04.05.2012 07:21, Senthil Kumaran wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Antoine Pitrou<solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
>> Daily code coverage builds would be nice, but that's probably beyond
>> what the current infrastructure can offer. It would be nice if someone
>> wants to investigate that.
>
> Code coverage buildbots would indeed be good. I could give a try on
> this. What kind of infra changes would be required? I presume, it is
> the server side that you are referring to.

I think the setup could be similar to the daily DMG builder. If the
slave generates a set of HTML files (say), those can be uploaded just
fine. However, we don't have any "make coverage" target currently in
the makefile. So if you contribute that, we could then have it run
daily.

Regards,
Martin

solipsis at pitrou

Re: Another buildslave - Ubuntu again [In reply to]

On Fri, 4 May 2012 13:21:17 +0800
Senthil Kumaran <senthil [at] uthcode> wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
> > Daily code coverage builds would be nice, but that's probably beyond
> > what the current infrastructure can offer. It would be nice if someone
> > wants to investigate that.
>
> Code coverage buildbots would indeed be good. I could give a try on
> this. What kind of infra changes would be required? I presume, it is
> the server side that you are referring to.

It doesn't *need* to be a buildbot. Just have a cron script somewhere to
run coverage on the test suite every day and published the results
somewhere in a readable format.

Regards

Antoine.