Mailing List Archive: Python: Dev

Re: cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font.

solipsis at pitrou

Re: cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font.

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 11:41:48 +0200
andrew.svetlov <python-checkins [at] python> wrote:
> http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/774c2afa6665
> changeset: 76115:774c2afa6665
> user: Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svetlov [at] gmail>
> date: Thu Apr 05 12:41:20 2012 +0300
> summary:
> Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font.
> Patch by Guilherme Polo.

Aren't there any docs?

Regards

Antoine.

andrew.svetlov at gmail

Re: cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font. [In reply to]

Maybe you will be surprised, but tkinter.rst has no comprehensive docs
for any tkinter class.
I like to get it fixed but definitely cannot do it myself. My very
poor English is the main objection for writing narrative
documentation.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 11:41:48 +0200
> andrew.svetlov <python-checkins [at] python> wrote:
>> http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/774c2afa6665
>> changeset:   76115:774c2afa6665
>> user:        Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svetlov [at] gmail>
>> date:        Thu Apr 05 12:41:20 2012 +0300
>> summary:
>>   Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font.
>> Patch by Guilherme Polo.
>
> Aren't there any docs?
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

Andrew Svetlov

rdmurray at bitdance

Re: cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font. [In reply to]

(reformatted to remove topposting)

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 14:52:56 +0300, Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svetlov [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
> > On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 11:41:48 +0200
> > andrew.svetlov <python-checkins [at] python> wrote:
> >> http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/774c2afa6665
> >> changeset:   76115:774c2afa6665
> >> user:        Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svetlov [at] gmail>
> >> date:        Thu Apr 05 12:41:20 2012 +0300
> >> summary:
> >>   Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font.
> >> Patch by Guilherme Polo.
> >
> > Aren't there any docs?
>
> Maybe you will be surprised, but tkinter.rst has no comprehensive docs
> for any tkinter class.
> I like to get it fixed but definitely cannot do it myself. My very
> poor English is the main objection for writing narrative
> documentation.

One way to approach this problem would be to draft some rough docs that
try to capture the functionality without worrying about English content
or style. Then you could post the rough draft somewhere, and ask for
someone from the docs mailing list to edit it. My thought would be that
whoever took on the task would then do a rewrite, asking you questions
to fill in any details that aren't clear from the rough draft.

Thank, you, by the way, for all the work you are doing.

--David

andrew.svetlov at gmail

Re: cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font. [In reply to]

Thank you, David.
Is separate repo clone located at hg.python.org good enough? Or maybe
there are better way to do it?

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 5:06 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray [at] bitdance> wrote:
> (reformatted to remove topposting)
>
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 14:52:56 +0300, Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svetlov [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
>> >
>> > Aren't there any docs?
>>
>> Maybe you will be surprised, but tkinter.rst has no comprehensive docs
>> for any tkinter class.
>> I like to get it fixed but definitely cannot do it myself. My very
>> poor English is the main objection for writing narrative
>> documentation.
>
> One way to approach this problem would be to draft some rough docs that
> try to capture the functionality without worrying about English content
> or style.  Then you could post the rough draft somewhere, and ask for
> someone from the docs mailing list to edit it.  My thought would be that
> whoever took on the task would then do a rewrite, asking you questions
> to fill in any details that aren't clear from the rough draft.
>
> Thank, you, by the way, for all the work you are doing.
>
> --David

Andrew Svetlov

rdmurray at bitdance

Re: cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font. [In reply to]

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:34:07 +0300, Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svetlov [at] gmail> wrote:
> Thank you, David.
> Is separate repo clone located at hg.python.org good enough? Or maybe
> there are better way to do it?

That sounds like a good plan to me.

--David

tjreedy at udel

Re: cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font. [In reply to]

On 4/5/2012 10:06 AM, R. David Murray wrote:
> (reformatted to remove topposting)
>
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 14:52:56 +0300, Andrew Svetlov<andrew.svetlov [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Antoine Pitrou<solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:

>>> Aren't there any docs?
>>
>> Maybe you will be surprised, but tkinter.rst has no comprehensive docs
>> for any tkinter class.

There are doc strings to be updated. See below.

>> I like to get it fixed but definitely cannot do it myself. My very
>> poor English is the main objection for writing narrative
>> documentation.
>
> One way to approach this problem would be to draft some rough docs that
> try to capture the functionality without worrying about English content
> or style. Then you could post the rough draft somewhere, and ask for
> someone from the docs mailing list to edit it. My thought would be that
> whoever took on the task would then do a rewrite, asking you questions
> to fill in any details that aren't clear from the rough draft.
>
> Thank, you, by the way, for all the work you are doing.

I have been hoping to work on a proper tkinter doc. I discovered some
time ago through the pydoc server (not currently working for me, see
http://bugs.python.org/issue14512)
that their are doc strings for (most) everything. I have been meaning to
ask whether there is a way to build a draft doc from the doc strings.
The first major editing job, given output like I saw in the browser,
would be to remove the constant duplication of entries for inherited
methods. Some widgets inherit perhaps a hundred methods and only add or
override a couple. I guess the next question is whether a draft doc
could be built *without* pulling in inherited methods.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

andrew.svetlov at gmail

Re: cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font. [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy [at] udel> wrote:

> I have been hoping to work on a proper tkinter doc. I discovered some time
> ago through the pydoc server (not currently working for me, see
> http://bugs.python.org/issue14512)
> that their are doc strings for (most) everything. I have been meaning to ask
> whether there is a way to build a draft doc from the doc strings.

I'll do it. Frankly speaking I don't like to do, 'hate' is better word
to describe my opinion.
But somebody need to make tkinter docs consistent.
I doubt if that work can be done by some script well enough —
docstrings should to be reformatted according
to Sphinx markup.

Please after I will finish initial transform help me to make this part
of documentation as good as Python Docs should be.
I think the excellent narrative Python documentation makes a big deal
in python wide spreading.
I remember docs for 1.5. Not so bad, but it's incompatible to docs for now.

Also, please help me to make hg clone for tk documentation located in
hg.python.org.
I tried to:
andrew [at] tiktaalik ~/projects> hg clone ssh://hg [at] hg/cpython
ssh://hg [at] hg/sandbox/tkdocs
repo created, public URL is http://hg.python.org/sandbox/tkdocs
abort: clone from remote to remote not supported
http://hg.python.org/sandbox/tkdocs is empty.

Looks like I don't know Mercurial well enough to to it.
When I'll get online clone of cpython available to myself as well as
visible to everyone and write accessible to python committers
(I hope you will push updates as well) — I will start to do.

Andrew Svetlov

senthil at uthcode

Re: cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font. [In reply to]

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 11:16:54PM +0300, Andrew Svetlov wrote:
> I tried to:
> andrew [at] tiktaalik ~/projects> hg clone ssh://hg [at] hg/cpython
> ssh://hg [at] hg/sandbox/tkdocs
> repo created, public URL is http://hg.python.org/sandbox/tkdocs
> abort: clone from remote to remote not supported

You could do the server side clone using the web form here -
http://hg.python.org/cpython/

Then you could you that repo to work on your stuff.

Thanks,
Senthil

andrew.svetlov at gmail

Re: cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font. [In reply to]

Thank you. That works. Is there way to delete unused repo?

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Senthil Kumaran <senthil [at] uthcode> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 11:16:54PM +0300, Andrew Svetlov wrote:
>> I tried to:
>> andrew [at] tiktaalik ~/projects> hg clone ssh://hg [at] hg/cpython
>> ssh://hg [at] hg/sandbox/tkdocs
>> repo created, public URL is http://hg.python.org/sandbox/tkdocs
>> abort: clone from remote to remote not supported
>
> You could do the server side clone using the web form here -
> http://hg.python.org/cpython/
>
> Then you could you that repo to work on your stuff.
>
> Thanks,
> Senthil

Andrew Svetlov

rdmurray at bitdance

Re: cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font. [In reply to]

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:15:00 +0300, Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svetlov [at] gmail> wrote:
> Thank you. That works. Is there way to delete unused repo?

This is what I've heard:

If a repo isn't used (at all) it eventually gets deleted automatically.
Otherwise, you have to ask. Probably python-committers is the best
place for a delete request. If this becomes a burden at some point,
someone will figure out a secure way to automate it...security is the
reason it isn't automated now.

--David

storchaka at gmail

Re: cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font. [In reply to]

Andrew, when you prepare the tkinter documentation, I advise you to
include a link to www.tkdocs.com -- probably the best resource in this
way (at least it was very useful for me).

Maybe even should offer these guys do official documentation, if they
agree and if there would be no conflict of interests (they offer
commercial e-book).

andrew.svetlov at gmail

Re: cpython: Issue #3033: Add displayof parameter to tkinter font. [In reply to]

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka [at] gmail> wrote:
> Andrew, when you prepare the tkinter documentation, I advise you to include
> a link to www.tkdocs.com -- probably the best resource in this way (at least
> it was very useful for me).

Done in sanbox/tkdoc repo.

Andrew Svetlov