Mailing List Archive: Python: Dev

.{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo

mcepl at redhat

Mar 30, 2012, 8:00 AM

.{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo

Why does HG cpython repo contains .{bzr,git}ignore at all?
IMHO, all .*ignore files should be strictly repository dependent and
they should not be mixed together.

It is even worse, that (understandingly) .{bzr,git}ignore are apparently
poorly maintained, so in order to get an equivalent of .hgignore in
.gitignore, one has to apply the attached patch.

Best,

Matěj

We understand our competition isn't with Caldera or SuSE--our
competition is with Microsoft.
-- Bob Young of Red Hat
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3553
Attachments: _gitignore.patch (0.85 KB)

brian at python

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:00, Matěj Cepl <mcepl [at] redhat> wrote:
> Why does HG cpython repo contains .{bzr,git}ignore at all?
> IMHO, all .*ignore files should be strictly repository dependent and they
> should not be mixed together.

For what reason? Are the git or bzr files causing issues on HG?

mcepl at redhat

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On 1.4.2012 23:46, Brian Curtin wrote:
> For what reason? Are the git or bzr files causing issues on HG?

No, but wrong .gitignore causes issues with git repo obtained via
hg-fast-import. If it is meant as an intentional sabotage of using git
(and bzr) for cpython, then that's the only explanation I can
understand, otherwise it doesn't make sense to me why these files are in
HG repository at all.

Matěj

Somewhere at the edge of the Bell curve was the girl for me.
-- Based on http://xkcd.com/314/

guido at python

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Matěj Cepl <mcepl [at] redhat> wrote:
> Why does HG cpython repo contains .{bzr,git}ignore at all?

So that when people switch between repo software the set of ignored
files remains constant. While the "official" repo isn't going to
switch any time soon, various developers for various reasons prefer
different repo software and the tools for copying repos work well
enough that people actually do this, for various workflow purposes. As
long as patches eventually find their way back into the central Hg
repo I have no problem in it.

> IMHO, all .*ignore files should be strictly repository dependent and they
> should not be mixed together.

No, because then everybody who copies a repo to a different tool would
have to start over from scratch.

> It is even worse, that (understandingly) .{bzr,git}ignore are apparently
> poorly maintained, so in order to get an equivalent of .hgignore in
> .gitignore, one has to apply the attached patch.

Please file a bug to get this reviewed and checked in.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)

tseaver at palladion

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

brian at python

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 17:31, Matěj Cepl <mcepl [at] redhat> wrote:
> On 1.4.2012 23:46, Brian Curtin wrote:
>>
>> For what reason? Are the git or bzr files causing issues on HG?
>

> No, but wrong .gitignore causes issues with git repo obtained via
> hg-fast-import. If it is meant as an intentional sabotage of using git (and
> bzr) for cpython, then that's the only explanation I can understand,
> otherwise it doesn't make sense to me why these files are in HG repository
> at all.

Then you won't understand. Sometimes things get out of date when they
aren't used or maintained.

You're welcome to fix the problem if you're a Git user, as suggested earlier.

ncoghlan at gmail

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Matěj Cepl <mcepl [at] redhat> wrote:
> On 1.4.2012 23:46, Brian Curtin wrote:
>>
>> For what reason? Are the git or bzr files causing issues on HG?
>

> No, but wrong .gitignore causes issues with git repo obtained via
> hg-fast-import. If it is meant as an intentional sabotage of using git (and
> bzr) for cpython, then that's the only explanation I can understand,
> otherwise it doesn't make sense to me why these files are in HG repository
> at all.

As Guido explained, the bzr and git ignore files are there to allow
Git and Bzr users to collaborate on them, updating a standard copy
when the .hgignore entries change (which doesn't happen very often).

If they get outdated (or otherwise contain erroneous entries), then
the appropriate response is to either update them directly (core
developers that use a different DVCS for their local workflow), or
raise a tracker issue pointing out they they have become stale
(everyone else that uses a different DVCS for their local workflow).

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   ncoghlan [at] gmail   |   Brisbane, Australia

scott+python-dev at scottdial

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On 3/30/2012 11:00 AM, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> It is even worse, that (understandingly) .{bzr,git}ignore are apparently
> poorly maintained, so in order to get an equivalent of .hgignore in
> .gitignore, one has to apply the attached patch.

Create an issue on the bug tracker. In the meantime, you can either
commit the change to your clone, or you can put your ignores into
.git/info/exclude. No reason to be so sore about it, since Git lets you
have your own ignore file without requiring it be a tracked file.

--
Scott Dial
scott [at] scottdial

martin at v

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

Am 02.04.2012 00:31, schrieb Matěj Cepl:
> On 1.4.2012 23:46, Brian Curtin wrote:
>> For what reason? Are the git or bzr files causing issues on HG?
>
> No, but wrong .gitignore causes issues with git repo obtained via
> hg-fast-import. If it is meant as an intentional sabotage of using git
> (and bzr) for cpython, then that's the only explanation I can
> understand, otherwise it doesn't make sense to me why these files are in
> HG repository at all.

Sabotage, most certainly.

Regards,
Martin

mail at timgolden

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On 02/04/2012 07:03, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Am 02.04.2012 00:31, schrieb Matěj Cepl:
>> On 1.4.2012 23:46, Brian Curtin wrote:
>>> For what reason? Are the git or bzr files causing issues on HG?
>>
>> No, but wrong .gitignore causes issues with git repo obtained via
>> hg-fast-import. If it is meant as an intentional sabotage of using git
>> (and bzr) for cpython, then that's the only explanation I can
>> understand, otherwise it doesn't make sense to me why these files are in
>> HG repository at all.
>>

> Sabotage, most certainly.

I had to laugh. It's the deadpan delivery.

TJG

mcepl at redhat

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On 2.4.2012 05:26, Scott Dial wrote:
> Create an issue on the bug tracker. In the meantime, you can either
> commit the change to your clone, or you can put your ignores into
> .git/info/exclude. No reason to be so sore about it, since Git lets you
> have your own ignore file without requiring it be a tracked file.

And yes, I am sorry for the tone of my original post. The fact I didn't
understand the reason, doesn't excuse me.

Matěj

mcepl at redhat

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On 2.4.2012 00:52, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Please file a bug to get this reviewed and checked in.

OK, I don't agree with the reasoning, but I willingly submit to BDFL ;)

http://bugs.python.org/issue14472

Matěj

solipsis at pitrou

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 19:44:00 -0500
Brian Curtin <brian [at] python> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 17:31, Matěj Cepl <mcepl [at] redhat> wrote:
> > On 1.4.2012 23:46, Brian Curtin wrote:
> >>
> >> For what reason? Are the git or bzr files causing issues on HG?
> >

> > No, but wrong .gitignore causes issues with git repo obtained via
> > hg-fast-import. If it is meant as an intentional sabotage of using git (and
> > bzr) for cpython, then that's the only explanation I can understand,
> > otherwise it doesn't make sense to me why these files are in HG repository
> > at all.
>
> Then you won't understand. Sometimes things get out of date when they
> aren't used or maintained.
>
> You're welcome to fix the problem if you're a Git user, as suggested earlier.

That said, these files will always be outdated, so we might as well
remove them so that at least git / bzr users don't get confused.

Regards

Antoine.

stefan_ml at behnel

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

Antoine Pitrou, 02.04.2012 13:50:
> On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 19:44:00 -0500
> Brian Curtin wrote:
>>>

>>> No, but wrong .gitignore causes issues with git repo obtained via
>>> hg-fast-import. If it is meant as an intentional sabotage of using git (and
>>> bzr) for cpython, then that's the only explanation I can understand,
>>> otherwise it doesn't make sense to me why these files are in HG repository
>>> at all.
>>
>> Then you won't understand. Sometimes things get out of date when they
>> aren't used or maintained.
>>
>> You're welcome to fix the problem if you're a Git user, as suggested earlier.
>
> That said, these files will always be outdated, so we might as well
> remove them so that at least git / bzr users don't get confused.

How often is anything added to the .hgignore file? I doubt that these files
will "sufficiently always" be outdated to be unhelpful.

Stefan

thomas.spura at googlemail

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml [at] behnel> wrote:
> Antoine Pitrou, 02.04.2012 13:50:
>> On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 19:44:00 -0500
>> Brian Curtin wrote:

>>> Then you won't understand. Sometimes things get out of date when they
>>> aren't used or maintained.
>>>
>>> You're welcome to fix the problem if you're a Git user, as suggested earlier.
>>
>> That said, these files will always be outdated, so we might as well
>> remove them so that at least git / bzr users don't get confused.
>
> How often is anything added to the .hgignore file? I doubt that these files
> will "sufficiently always" be outdated to be unhelpful.

How about using symlinks and only using a common syntax in .hgignore
that git also understands?

Greetings,
Tom

rosuav at gmail

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
> That said, these files will always be outdated, so we might as well
> remove them so that at least git / bzr users don't get confused.

Apologies for what may be a stupid suggestion, but is it possible to
write a script that generates .gitignore and .bzrignore from
.hgignore? That ought to solve the problem - take the former two out
of the repository, and everyone who wants to use git or bzr can simply
generate them on requirement.

Chris Angelico

rdmurray at bitdance

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 00:44:32 +0200, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 07:43:20 +1000
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
> > > That said, these files will always be outdated, so we might as well
> > > remove them so that at least git / bzr users don't get confused.
> >
> > Given that they were originally *added* by core devs that are (or
> > were) using git/bzr for their own local development, I don't think
> > it's quite that simple.
>
> Wasn't it back when SVN was still our official VCS, though?
> I don't think Barry still uses bzr, and who ever used git to manage
> their patches against the CPython repo?

That's my memory, too.

I have to laugh at the claim that Barry doesn't use bzr. (But yeah,
I know what you mean, I think he does use hg now for cpython development.)

I think Benjamin was the one who used git, but I'm probably
misremembering.

--David

scott+python-dev at scottdial

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On 4/2/2012 11:03 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
>> That said, these files will always be outdated, so we might as well
>> remove them so that at least git / bzr users don't get confused.
>
> Apologies for what may be a stupid suggestion, but is it possible to
> write a script that generates .gitignore and .bzrignore from
> .hgignore? That ought to solve the problem - take the former two out
> of the repository, and everyone who wants to use git or bzr can simply
> generate them on requirement.

In general, Hg's ignore files are more expressive (regex and globbing)
than Git's ignore files (globbing only). Our .hgignore file has regex
rules, but if someone was so inclined, they could expand those rules
based on their current HEAD.

I do not know if such a tool already exists in the wild.

--
Scott Dial
scott [at] scottdial

ncoghlan at gmail

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
> That said, these files will always be outdated, so we might as well
> remove them so that at least git / bzr users don't get confused.

Given that they were originally *added* by core devs that are (or
were) using git/bzr for their own local development, I don't think
it's quite that simple.

Cheers,
Nick.

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 07:43:20 +1000
Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
> > That said, these files will always be outdated, so we might as well
> > remove them so that at least git / bzr users don't get confused.
>
> Given that they were originally *added* by core devs that are (or
> were) using git/bzr for their own local development, I don't think
> it's quite that simple.

Wasn't it back when SVN was still our official VCS, though?
I don't think Barry still uses bzr, and who ever used git to manage
their patches against the CPython repo?

cheers

Antoine.

barry at python

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On Apr 03, 2012, at 12:44 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>I don't think Barry still uses bzr, and who ever used git to manage their
>patches against the CPython repo?

I still use bzr, but not currently for Python development. I just use the
standard hg repo. I'd like to go back to it though once the bzr-hg plugin can
handle multiple branches in a single repo.

-Barry

brett at python

Re: .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 08:58, Thomas Spura <thomas.spura [at] googlemail>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml [at] behnel> wrote:
> > Antoine Pitrou, 02.04.2012 13:50:

> git (and
> repository

> earlier.
> >>
> >> That said, these files will always be outdated, so we might as well
> >> remove them so that at least git / bzr users don't get confused.
> >
> > How often is anything added to the .hgignore file? I doubt that these
> files
> > will "sufficiently always" be outdated to be unhelpful.
>
> How about using symlinks and only using a common syntax in .hgignore
> that git also understands?

Because .hgignore has a more expressive syntax. We shouldn't hobble or make
messy our hg repo just for the sake of git.