Mailing List Archive: Python: Dev

Windows 8 support

ausfdes at gmail

Sep 14, 2011, 4:13 AM

Windows 8 support

Hi,

Which versions of python will be compatible with windows8. I am using
currently 2.7.2 version.

Thanks,
Austin

nyamatongwe at gmail

Sep 14, 2011, 4:38 AM

Re: Windows 8 support [In reply to]

Austin Fernandes:

> Which versions of python will be compatible with windows8. I am using
> currently 2.7.2 version.

Current releases of both Python 2.7 and Python 3.2 appear to run
fine on the Windows 8 Developer Preview. You should download and
install the preview to ensure that your own code is compatible.

Neil

jdhardy at gmail

Sep 14, 2011, 9:23 AM

Re: Windows 8 support [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Neil Hodgson <nyamatongwe [at] gmail> wrote:
> Austin Fernandes:
>
>> Which versions of python will be compatible with windows8. I am using
>> currently 2.7.2 version.
>
>   Current releases of both Python 2.7 and Python 3.2 appear to run
> fine on the Windows 8 Developer Preview. You should download and
> install the preview to ensure that your own code is compatible.

Another question is whether Python can take advantage of WinRT (the
new UI framework). It should be possible, as the new APIs were
designed to be used from dynamic languages, but I haven't decided if
I'm crazy enough to try it.

- Jeff

martin at v

Sep 14, 2011, 1:41 PM

Re: Windows 8 support [In reply to]

> Another question is whether Python can take advantage of WinRT (the
> new UI framework). It should be possible, as the new APIs were
> designed to be used from dynamic languages, but I haven't decided if
> I'm crazy enough to try it.

Python doesn't do GUI on its own, so the direct answer to this question
is "no, it can't take advantage of WinRT".

Of course, people might start writing Python wrappers for WinRT,
possibly leading to a PyRT package. Alternatively, wxWindows might
start using WinRT, which would automatically expose it to wxPython
applications. Likewise, Tk might integrate support for WinRT, in
which case IDLE might make use of it out of the box.

Regards,
Martin

martin at v

Sep 14, 2011, 1:53 PM

Re: Windows 8 support [In reply to]

> Which versions of python will be compatible with windows8. I am using
> currently 2.7.2 version.

Most likely, all versions back to Python 1.1 or so will be compatible
with Windows 8 (when 32-bit Windows support was first added to Python).

Python uses very little of the Windows API (compared to, say, a game).
Microsoft isn't going to break any of this for the next decade. Support
for 16-bit applications is being dropped, but Python didn't really
support 16-bit Windows all that well (although there was a DOS port).

Regards,
Martin

greg.ewing at canterbury

Sep 14, 2011, 3:52 PM

Re: Windows 8 support [In reply to]

Jeff Hardy wrote:

> Another question is whether Python can take advantage of WinRT (the
> new UI framework). It should be possible, as the new APIs were
> designed to be used from dynamic languages, but I haven't decided if
> I'm crazy enough to try it.

WinRT certainly sounds like the way to go in the future.
I'm glad to hear that .NET isn't going to take over the
world after all!

--
Greg

eliben at gmail

Sep 14, 2011, 11:53 PM

Re: Windows 8 support [In reply to]

> Another question is whether Python can take advantage of WinRT (the
>> new UI framework). It should be possible, as the new APIs were
>> designed to be used from dynamic languages, but I haven't decided if
>> I'm crazy enough to try it.
>>

> WinRT certainly sounds like the way to go in the future.
> I'm glad to hear that .NET isn't going to take over the
> world after all!

I'm not sure whether I prefer Javascript doing that, though :)
Eli