Mailing List Archive: Python: Python

2.6 windows install

tim.arnold at sas

Aug 20, 2009, 10:21 AM

2.6 windows install

Hi,
I installed python2.6 to a netapp device. I can use it from my local windows
machine (XP). But others cannot use it from their pcs.

They get this response
"The system cannot execute the specified program.".

If they double click on python.exe, they get a window

with: This application has failed to start because the application

configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this

problem.

When I installed it I didn't see any mention of an 'administrators' install,
it just installed. The permissions on the directories where it installed are
set wide-open for everyone.

Any ideas on what I'm missing here?

thanks,
--Tim Arnold

wuwei23 at gmail

Aug 20, 2009, 10:17 PM

Re: 2.6 windows install [In reply to]

"Tim Arnold" <tim.arn...@sas.com> wrote:
> Any ideas on what I'm missing here?

Most likely the required configuration of the local environments.

Did you install Python to the network device from your XP box? That
would explain why you can run it: the required registry settings &
environment variables are added by the installer, none of which is
occurring on any computer other than the one from which you installed.

To be honest, I've never seen a single-point-of-access network
installation of Python for a Windows environment. If it was possible,
I'd expect ActiveState's ActivePython to support it but there's no
mention of it in the list of acceptable installer switches[1].

[1]: http://docs.activestate.com/activepython/2.6/installnotes.html#msi

martin at v

Aug 21, 2009, 8:39 AM

Re: 2.6 windows install [In reply to]

> Did you install Python to the network device from your XP box? That
> would explain why you can run it: the required registry settings &
> environment variables are added by the installer, none of which is
> occurring on any computer other than the one from which you installed.

In principle, Python doesn't need any registry settings or environment
variables in order to run.

Regards,
Martin

Kevin.Smith at sixquickrun

Aug 21, 2009, 9:43 AM

Re: 2.6 windows install [In reply to]

On 2009-08-21 10:39:09 -0500, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin [at] v> said:

>> Did you install Python to the network device from your XP box? That
>> would explain why you can run it: the required registry settings &
>> environment variables are added by the installer, none of which is
>> occurring on any computer other than the one from which you installed.
>
> In principle, Python doesn't need any registry settings or environment
> variables in order to run.

That may be true, but it doesn't explain why python won't run. I'm
guessing that it has something to do with the msvc*90.dll files not
getting installed. If those dlls haven't been previously installed,
they won't be on the client machine in order for python to use them.
However, I haven't had any luck installing these files manually and
getting python to work that way.

--
Kevin D. Smith

Kevin.Smith at sixquickrun

Aug 21, 2009, 12:58 PM

Re: 2.6 windows install [In reply to]

On 2009-08-21 11:43:31 -0500, Kevin D. Smith
<Kevin.Smith [at] sixquickrun> said:

> On 2009-08-21 10:39:09 -0500, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin [at] v> said:
>
>>> Did you install Python to the network device from your XP box? That
>>> would explain why you can run it: the required registry settings &
>>> environment variables are added by the installer, none of which is
>>> occurring on any computer other than the one from which you installed.
>>
>> In principle, Python doesn't need any registry settings or environment
>> variables in order to run.
>
> That may be true, but it doesn't explain why python won't run. I'm
> guessing that it has something to do with the msvc*90.dll files not
> getting installed. If those dlls haven't been previously installed,
> they won't be on the client machine in order for python to use them.
> However, I haven't had any luck installing these files manually and
> getting python to work that way.

Installing those files from
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en>
does seem to help, but python still gives an error of "The application
failed to initialize properly (0xc00000022)." I'm not really sure
where to go from here.

--
Kevin D. Smith

mccredie at gmail

Aug 21, 2009, 1:20 PM

Re: 2.6 windows install [In reply to]

On Aug 20, 10:21 am, "Tim Arnold" <tim.arn...@sas.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I installed python2.6 to a netapp device. I can use it from my local windows
> machine (XP). But others cannot use it from their pcs.
>
> They get this response
> "The system cannot execute the specified program.".
>
> If they double click on python.exe, they get a window
>
> with: This application has failed to start because the application
>
> configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this
>
> problem.
>
> When I installed it I didn't see any mention of an 'administrators' install,
> it just installed. The permissions on the directories where it installed are
> set wide-open for everyone.
>
> Any ideas on what I'm missing here?
>
> thanks,
> --Tim Arnold

The default windows install puts Python26.dll in \windows\system32. I
haven't tried this, but you could probably fix your install by moving
Python26.dll into the Python26 directory.

That being said, the usual thing to do would be to install it on each
machine.

Matt

martin at v

Aug 21, 2009, 1:45 PM

Re: 2.6 windows install [In reply to]

> The default windows install puts Python26.dll in \windows\system32. I
> haven't tried this, but you could probably fix your install by moving
> Python26.dll into the Python26 directory.

Only the admin installation should do that (for all users). The "just
for me" installation won't.

Regards,
Martin