Mailing List Archive: Python: Dev

SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed

stefan at bytereef

Aug 8, 2012, 3:30 AM

SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed

Hello,

currently the only cheap way for developers to test on SPARC that I'm
aware of is using this old Debian qemu image:

http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/qemu/sparc/

That image still uses linuxthreads and may contain any number of platform
bugs. It is currently impossible to run the test suite without bus errors,
see:

http://bugs.python.org/issue15589

Could someone with access to a SPARC machine (perhaps with a modern version
of Debian-sparc) grab a clone from http://hg.python.org/cpython/ and run
the test suite?

Also, it would be really nice if someone could donate a SPARC buildbot.

Stefan Krah

martin at v

Aug 8, 2012, 6:25 AM

Re: SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed [In reply to]

> Could someone with access to a SPARC machine (perhaps with a modern version
> of Debian-sparc) grab a clone from http://hg.python.org/cpython/ and run
> the test suite?

I'd invoke the "scratch your own itch" principle here. SPARC, these
days, is a "minority platform"; I wouldn't mind deleting all SPARC
support from Python in some upcoming release. In no way I feel obliged
to take efforts that Python 3.3 works on SPARC (and remember that it
was me who donated the first buildbot slave, and that was a SPARC
machine - which I now had to take down, ten years later).

Of course, when somebody has access to SPARC hardware, *and* they
have some interest that Python 3.3 works on it, they should test it.
But testing it as a favor to the community is IMO irrelevant now;
that particular community is shrinking rapidly.

What I personally really never cared about is SparcLinux;
if sparc, then it ought to be Solaris.

IOW: if it breaks, no big deal. Someone may or may not contribute
a patch.

Regards,
Martin

solipsis at pitrou

Aug 8, 2012, 10:56 AM

Re: SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed [In reply to]

Le 08/08/2012 15:25, "Martin v. LŲwis" a ťcrit :

> Of course, when somebody has access to SPARC hardware, *and* they
> have some interest that Python 3.3 works on it, they should test it.
> But testing it as a favor to the community is IMO irrelevant now;
> that particular community is shrinking rapidly.
>
> What I personally really never cared about is SparcLinux;
> if sparc, then it ought to be Solaris.

What Martin said; SPARC under Linux is probably a hobbyist platform.
Enterprise users of Solaris SPARC systems can still volunteer to provide
and maintain a buildslave.

Regards

Antoine.

flub at devork

Aug 8, 2012, 4:26 PM

Re: SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed [In reply to]

On 8 August 2012 18:56, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
> Le 08/08/2012 15:25, "Martin v. Löwis" a écrit :
>

>> Of course, when somebody has access to SPARC hardware, *and* they
>> have some interest that Python 3.3 works on it, they should test it.
>> But testing it as a favor to the community is IMO irrelevant now;
>> that particular community is shrinking rapidly.
>>
>> What I personally really never cared about is SparcLinux;
>> if sparc, then it ought to be Solaris.
>

> What Martin said; SPARC under Linux is probably a hobbyist platform.
> Enterprise users of Solaris SPARC systems can still volunteer to provide and
> maintain a buildslave.

Is http://wiki.python.org/moin/BuildBot the relevant documentation?
It still seems to refer to subversion, I presume that is no longer
needed and just mercurial will do? I've set up a blank solaris 10
zone on a sparc T1000 with the OpenCSW toolchain (gcc 4.6.3) on our
server and installed buildslave. According to the instructions this
is the point where I ask for a slave name and password.

Also, would it make sense to support OpenCSW more out of the box?
Currently we carry some patches for setup.py in order to pick up e.g.
sqlite from /opt/csw etc. Would there be an interest in supporting
this?

Regards,
Floris

solipsis at pitrou

Aug 9, 2012, 12:11 AM

Re: SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed [In reply to]

Le 09/08/2012 01:26, Floris Bruynooghe a écrit :

>> What Martin said; SPARC under Linux is probably a hobbyist platform.
>> Enterprise users of Solaris SPARC systems can still volunteer to provide and
>> maintain a buildslave.
>

> Is http://wiki.python.org/moin/BuildBot the relevant documentation?

Yes, it is, but parts of it may be out of date. Please amend the
instructions where necessary :-)

> It still seems to refer to subversion, I presume that is no longer
> needed and just mercurial will do?

True.

> I've set up a blank solaris 10
> zone on a sparc T1000 with the OpenCSW toolchain (gcc 4.6.3) on our
> server and installed buildslave. According to the instructions this
> is the point where I ask for a slave name and password.

Ok, I'll send you one in a couple of days (away from Paris right now).

> Also, would it make sense to support OpenCSW more out of the box?
> Currently we carry some patches for setup.py in order to pick up e.g.
> sqlite from /opt/csw etc. Would there be an interest in supporting
> this?

I don't know, what is OpenCSW?
I think the answer also depends on the complexity of said patches.

Regards

Antoine.

martin at v

Aug 9, 2012, 12:22 AM

Re: SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed [In reply to]

Am 09.08.12 01:26, schrieb Floris Bruynooghe:
> According to the instructions this
> is the point where I ask for a slave name and password.

Sent in a private message.

> Also, would it make sense to support OpenCSW more out of the box?
> Currently we carry some patches for setup.py in order to pick up e.g.
> sqlite from /opt/csw etc. Would there be an interest in supporting
> this?

If all that needs to be done is to add /opt/csw into search lists
where a search list already exists, I see no problem doing so - except
that this could be considered a new feature, so it might be only
possible to do it for 3.4.

If the patches are more involved, we would have to consider them
on a case-by-case basis.

Regards,
Martin

flub at devork

Aug 9, 2012, 7:02 AM

Re: SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed [In reply to]

On 9 August 2012 08:22, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin [at] v> wrote:
> Am 09.08.12 01:26, schrieb Floris Bruynooghe:
>
>> According to the instructions this
>> is the point where I ask for a slave name and password.
>

> Sent in a private message.

Thanks, it seems to be working fine. I triggered a build for 27 and
3.x. I'm assuming other builds will just be triggered automatically
when needed from now on?

>> Also, would it make sense to support OpenCSW more out of the box?
>> Currently we carry some patches for setup.py in order to pick up e.g.
>> sqlite from /opt/csw etc. Would there be an interest in supporting
>> this?
>
> If all that needs to be done is to add /opt/csw into search lists
> where a search list already exists, I see no problem doing so - except
> that this could be considered a new feature, so it might be only
> possible to do it for 3.4.

It is for 2.x, setup.py seems to have changed substantially in 3.x and
I haven't built that yet with OpenCSW but I presume I just need to
find the right place there too. I'll open an issue for it instead of
discussing it here.

Regards,
Floris

flub at devork

Aug 9, 2012, 7:11 AM

Re: SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed [In reply to]

On 9 August 2012 08:11, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis [at] pitrou> wrote:
> Le 09/08/2012 01:26, Floris Bruynooghe a écrit :
>> Also, would it make sense to support OpenCSW more out of the box?
>> Currently we carry some patches for setup.py in order to pick up e.g.
>> sqlite from /opt/csw etc. Would there be an interest in supporting
>> this?
>
> I don't know, what is OpenCSW?
> I think the answer also depends on the complexity of said patches.

OpenCSW is a community effort (CSW == Community SoftWare) to build a
repository of GNU/Linux userland binaries for Solaris. It makes
package management as simple as on GNU/Linux, e.g.: "pkgutil --install
wget gcc4core libsqlite3_dev" which would otherwise be a very long and
laborious exercise. It is very well maintained and I consider it a
must for any Solaris box which isn't tightly locked down.

As said in my other mail the patches are rather trivial but I will
open an issue to discuss there.

Regards,
Floris

flub at devork

Aug 9, 2012, 3:24 PM

Re: SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed [In reply to]

Hi,

On 8 August 2012 11:30, Stefan Krah <stefan [at] bytereef> wrote:
> Could someone with access to a SPARC machine (perhaps with a modern version
> of Debian-sparc) grab a clone from http://hg.python.org/cpython/ and run
> the test suite?

One more thing that might be interesting, the OpenCSW project provides
access to their build farm to upstream maintainers. They say
various/all versions of solaris are available and compilers etc are
already setup, but I have never tried this out. In case someone is
interested in this, see
http://www.opencsw.org/extend-it/signup/to-upstream-maintainers/

Regards,
Floris

martin at v

Aug 9, 2012, 10:38 PM

Re: SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed [In reply to]

> Thanks, it seems to be working fine. I triggered a build for 27 and
> 3.x. I'm assuming other builds will just be triggered automatically
> when needed from now on?

Indeed; you have probably seen it happening in the waterfall already.

Thanks for providing that slave.

Regards,
Martin

martin at v

Aug 9, 2012, 10:48 PM

Re: SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed [In reply to]

>> Sent in a private message.
>
> Thanks, it seems to be working fine.

Actually, there appears to be a glitch in the network setup: it appears
that connections to localhost are not possible in your zone. The tests
fail with an assertion

self.assertEqual(cm.exception.errno, errno.ECONNREFUSED)
AssertionError: 128 != 146

where 128 is ENETUNREACH. It would be good if localhost was reachable
on a build slave.

Also, if you haven't done so, please make sure that the build slave
restarts when the zone or the machine is restarted. Don't worry that
restarting will abort builds in progress - that happens from time
to time on any slave.

Regards,
Martin

stefan at bytereef

Aug 10, 2012, 5:05 AM

Re: SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed [In reply to]

Floris Bruynooghe <flub [at] devork> wrote:
> One more thing that might be interesting, the OpenCSW project provides
> access to their build farm to upstream maintainers. They say
> various/all versions of solaris are available and compilers etc are
> already setup, but I have never tried this out. In case someone is
> interested in this, see
> http://www.opencsw.org/extend-it/signup/to-upstream-maintainers/

Thanks for the link. Perhaps I'll try to get an account there.

Stefan Krah

flub at devork

Aug 10, 2012, 6:09 AM

Re: SPARC testers (and buildbot!) needed [In reply to]

On 10 August 2012 06:48, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin [at] v> wrote:
> Actually, there appears to be a glitch in the network setup: it appears
> that connections to localhost are not possible in your zone. The tests
> fail with an assertion
>
> self.assertEqual(cm.exception.errno, errno.ECONNREFUSED)
> AssertionError: 128 != 146
>
> where 128 is ENETUNREACH. It would be good if localhost was reachable
> on a build slave.

The localhost network seems fine, which is shown by the test_socket
test just before. I think the issue here is that
socket.create_connection iterates over the result of
socket.getaddrinfo('localhost', port, 0, SOCK_STREAM) which returns
[.(2, 2, 0, '', ('127.0.0.1', 0)), (26, 2, 0, '', ('::1', 0, 0, 0))] on
this host.

The first result is tried and returns ECONNREFUSED but then the second
address is tried and this returns ENETUNREACH because this host has
not IPv6 network configured. And create_connection() raises the last
exception it received.

If getaddrinfo() is called with the AI_ADDRCONFIG flag then it will
only return the IPv4 version of localhost.

I've created an issue to track this: http://bugs.python.org/issue15617

> Also, if you haven't done so, please make sure that the build slave
> restarts when the zone or the machine is restarted. Don't worry that
> restarting will abort builds in progress - that happens from time
> to time on any slave.

I'll check this, thanks for the reminder.

Regards,
Floris