Mailing List Archive: Python: Dev

2.7 releases

theller at ctypes

Jul 26, 2012, 10:56 AM

2.7 releases

Will there be more 2.7 bugfix releases, and when the next one?

In other words; if I submit a patch and it is accepted, can I
expect that patch be committed also to the 2.7 branch?

Thanks,
Thomas

Been a long time that I've been here - but still using Python (2.7 now)
more and more...

senthil at uthcode

Jul 26, 2012, 11:15 AM

Re: 2.7 releases [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Thomas Heller <theller [at] ctypes> wrote:

> Will there be more 2.7 bugfix releases, and when the next one?
>
> In other words; if I submit a patch and it is accepted, can I
> expect that patch be committed also to the 2.7 branch?

We are still back-porting bug fixes to 2.7 branch. Which means that yes, we
may definitely see a release.
Benjamin might be right person to answer the question on when.

Thanks,
Senthil

martin at v

Jul 26, 2012, 11:16 AM

Re: 2.7 releases [In reply to]

> Will there be more 2.7 bugfix releases

Yes.

> and when the next one?

That's up for Benjamin to decide. My view is that one bugfix
release every year is more than enough.

> In other words; if I submit a patch and it is accepted, can I
> expect that patch be committed also to the 2.7 branch?

Don't you have commit rights still?

Regards,
Martin

theller at ctypes

Jul 26, 2012, 11:50 AM

Re: 2.7 releases [In reply to]

Am 26.07.2012 20:16, schrieb martin [at] v:
>> Will there be more 2.7 bugfix releases
>
> Yes.
>
>> and when the next one?
>
> That's up for Benjamin to decide. My view is that one bugfix
> release every year is more than enough.

Ok. I expect we will still be using 2.7 next year in my company.

>> In other words; if I submit a patch and it is accepted, can I
>> expect that patch be committed also to the 2.7 branch?
>
> Don't you have commit rights still?

I dont't know. IIRC, I have asked for them to be retracted some years
ago. Anyway, I do know nearly nothing about hg and don't have time to
learn it.

So, I have uploaded a patch and asked for review (since I'm not 1000%
sure that it is absolutely correct):

http://bugs.python.org/issue15459

Thomas

tjreedy at udel

Jul 26, 2012, 12:47 PM

Re: 2.7 releases [In reply to]

On 7/26/2012 2:50 PM, Thomas Heller wrote:
> Am 26.07.2012 20:16, schrieb martin [at] v:

>> Don't you have commit rights still?
>
> I dont't know.

The tracker thinks you do. That is what the Python logo next to your
name means.

> Anyway, I do know nearly nothing about hg and don't have time to
> learn it.

I started from nothing too. TortoiseHG and its GUI Workbench makes the
basics pretty easy.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

meadori at gmail

Jul 27, 2012, 11:12 AM

Re: 2.7 releases [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Thomas Heller <theller [at] ctypes> wrote:

> So, I have uploaded a patch and asked for review (since I'm not 1000%
> sure that it is absolutely correct):
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue15459

I'll take a look at this in the next few days.

-- Meador

benjamin at python

Jul 27, 2012, 12:12 PM

Re: 2.7 releases [In reply to]

2012/7/26 Thomas Heller <theller [at] ctypes>:
> Will there be more 2.7 bugfix releases, and when the next one?

Probably late fall or early 2013.

Benjamin

python at mrabarnett

Jul 27, 2012, 12:45 PM

Re: 2.7 releases [In reply to]

On 27/07/2012 20:12, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> 2012/7/26 Thomas Heller <theller [at] ctypes>:
>> Will there be more 2.7 bugfix releases, and when the next one?
>
> Probably late fall or early 2013.

Or, for those in the southern hemisphere, late spring or early 2013.