Mailing List Archive: Perl: porters

blead (Zlib) no longer compiles in gcc's C++ mode

public at khwilliamson

Aug 9, 2012, 5:07 PM

blead (Zlib) no longer compiles in gcc's C++ mode

Commit 9d90bd60fec830834e56dfd4cc1aaf499c322831 broke this.
The attached patch adds the missing casts that are required in C++ mode.
But I'm not sure what to do with it, since cpan is upstream
Attachments: 0001-Fix-broken-C-compile-of-Zlib.xs.patch (1.84 KB)

steve.m.hay at googlemail

Aug 9, 2012, 5:20 PM

Re: blead (Zlib) no longer compiles in gcc's C++ mode [In reply to]

On 10 August 2012 01:07, Karl Williamson <public [at] khwilliamson> wrote:
> Commit 9d90bd60fec830834e56dfd4cc1aaf499c322831 broke this.
> The attached patch adds the missing casts that are required in C++ mode.
> But I'm not sure what to do with it, since cpan is upstream

Sorry about that. I'm Cc'ing Paul Marquess and hoping that he might be
able to roll a new release incorporating your patch in time for 5.17.3
on 20th?...

Paul.Marquess at btinternet

Aug 10, 2012, 6:24 AM

RE: blead (Zlib) no longer compiles in gcc's C++ mode [In reply to]

Steve Hay [mailto:steve.m.hay [at] googlemail]

> On 10 August 2012 01:07, Karl Williamson <public [at] khwilliamson> wrote:
> > Commit 9d90bd60fec830834e56dfd4cc1aaf499c322831 broke this.
> > The attached patch adds the missing casts that are required in C++ mode.

Thanks Karl.

I assume there isn't a casting issue in Bzip.xs where I made a very similar change recently?

> > But I'm not sure what to do with it, since cpan is upstream
>
> Sorry about that. I'm Cc'ing Paul Marquess and hoping that he might be
> able to roll a new release incorporating your patch in time for 5.17.3
> on 20th?...

That won't be a problem. I'll try to get it onto CPAN over the weekend.

Paul

public at khwilliamson

Aug 10, 2012, 6:47 AM

Re: blead (Zlib) no longer compiles in gcc's C++ mode [In reply to]

On 08/10/2012 07:24 AM, Paul Marquess wrote:
> Steve Hay [mailto:steve.m.hay [at] googlemail]
>>
>> On 10 August 2012 01:07, Karl Williamson <public [at] khwilliamson> wrote:
>>> Commit 9d90bd60fec830834e56dfd4cc1aaf499c322831 broke this.
>>> The attached patch adds the missing casts that are required in C++ mode.
>
> Thanks Karl.
>
> I assume there isn't a casting issue in Bzip.xs where I made a very similar change recently?

The patch I wrote causes blead to compile again under C++. Since there
was no failure in Bzip2.xs, I didn't look at it until now. In looking
at it now, it appears to me to have the correct casts, and more
importantly, the compiler thinks it's ok.

>>> But I'm not sure what to do with it, since cpan is upstream
>>
>> Sorry about that. I'm Cc'ing Paul Marquess and hoping that he might be
>> able to roll a new release incorporating your patch in time for 5.17.3
>> on 20th?...
>
> That won't be a problem. I'll try to get it onto CPAN over the weekend.
>
> Paul

Paul.Marquess at btinternet

Aug 10, 2012, 3:25 PM

RE: blead (Zlib) no longer compiles in gcc's C++ mode [In reply to]

Karl Williamson [mailto:public [at] khwilliamson]

> On 08/10/2012 07:24 AM, Paul Marquess wrote:
> > Steve Hay [mailto:steve.m.hay [at] googlemail]

> > Thanks Karl.
> >
> > I assume there isn't a casting issue in Bzip.xs where I made a very similar
> > change recently?
>
> The patch I wrote causes blead to compile again under C++. Since there was no
> failure in Bzip2.xs, I didn't look at it until now. In looking at it now, it
> appears to me to have the correct casts, and more importantly, the compiler
> thinks it's ok.

Thanks Karl.

New version of Compress-Raw-Zlib just uploaded to CPAN with the patch included.

Paul

steve.m.hay at googlemail

Aug 11, 2012, 4:46 AM

Re: blead (Zlib) no longer compiles in gcc's C++ mode [In reply to]

On 10 August 2012 23:25, Paul Marquess <Paul.Marquess [at] btinternet> wrote:
> Karl Williamson [mailto:public [at] khwilliamson]
>
>> On 08/10/2012 07:24 AM, Paul Marquess wrote:
>> > Steve Hay [mailto:steve.m.hay [at] googlemail]

>> > Thanks Karl.
>> >
>> > I assume there isn't a casting issue in Bzip.xs where I made a very similar
>> > change recently?
>>
>> The patch I wrote causes blead to compile again under C++. Since there was no
>> failure in Bzip2.xs, I didn't look at it until now. In looking at it now, it
>> appears to me to have the correct casts, and more importantly, the compiler
>> thinks it's ok.
>

> Thanks Karl.
>
> New version of Compress-Raw-Zlib just uploaded to CPAN with the patch included.

Thanks for the quick response on this. New version committed to blead
in 9ffe0f2ee3.