Mailing List Archive: Perl: porters

information on limits of shm segments v. large mem segs on x86_64...

perl-diddler at tlinx

Aug 4, 2012, 4:50 PM

information on limits of shm segments v. large mem segs on x86_64...

I was trying to see if shm_get/read/write could use the HUGE page
support builtin to my kernel. (up to 1GB).

But shm get/read pooped out at 8193.. (4097 worked) -- was doubling
write size.

Seems like something is limiting it to the 8k page size.

Wouldn't the kernel be the only place this should be checked, as
it would be the only place that would really know it's maximum
page size... or are there limit checks in ...??? perl? gnu-lib's
implementation
of the shm-ipc? Or maybe the kernel call just doesn't know to try
large page support?

Was trying to shortcut to the right "Queue", since
submitting a bug against Perl core ipc, is no good if it
doesn't do limit checks...

FWIW... the perl-ipc call fails to use available HUGE page support...
;-)...(though why is the Q?)

perl-diddler at tlinx

Aug 4, 2012, 4:58 PM

Re: information on limits of shm segments v. large mem segs on x86_64... [In reply to]

This makes it look like a perl bug:

> cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
33554432