Mailing List Archive: Perl: porters

perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available

perl.p5p at rjbs

Aug 3, 2012, 12:00 PM

perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available

I was busy rescuing the captured maiden when the dragon showed up.
Fifty feed of scaled terror glared down at us with smoldering red
eyes. Tendrils of smoke drifted out from between fangs larger than
daggers. The dragon blocked the only exit from the cave.

â‹®

I unwrapped the sword which the mysterious cleric had given me. The
sword was golden-tinted steel. Its hilt was set with a rainbow
collection of precious gems. I shouted my battle cry and charged

My charge caught the dragon by surprise. Its titanic jaws snapped
shut inches from my face. I swung the golden sword with both arms.
The swordblade bit into the dragon's neck and continued through to the
other side. With an earth-shaking crash, the dragon dropped dead at
my feet. The magic sword had saved my life and ended the reign of the
dragon-tyrant. The countryside was freed and I could return as a
hero.

-- Tom Moldvay, Foreward to the Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rulebook

We are relieved to announce Perl 5.16.1, the second stable release of
Perl 5.16.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.16.1 from your favorite CPAN
mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/RJBS/perl-5.16.1/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

03b5ecc72fb52ef0cc94736605d753aa7cc0518a perl-5.16.1-RC1.tar.gz
cc2b60d7deb85194dd96b4d00e3551979652340e perl-5.16.1-RC1.tar.bz2

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located in
the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web.

Perl 5.16.1 represents approximately 2 months of development since Perl
5.16.0 and contains approximately 14,000 lines of changes across 96
files from 8 authors.

Perl continues to flourish into its third decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to
have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.16.1:

Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Craig A. Berry, Father Chrysostomos, Karl
Williamson, Paul Johnson, Reini Urban, Ricardo Signes, Tony Cook.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not
include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
modules included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN
community for helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors,
please see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release Perl 5.16.2 around November 1, 2012.

--
rjbs
Attachments: signature.asc (0.48 KB)

perl.p5p at rjbs

Aug 3, 2012, 12:08 PM

Re: perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available [In reply to]

* Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p [at] rjbs> [2012-08-03T15:00:46]
> We are relieved to announce Perl 5.16.1, the second stable release of
> Perl 5.16.

Well, RC1. In all cases, in that email, remember that it was an RC. I was
just so excited I couldn't be bothered to add that enough times. Oops!

The real thing should drop next week unless there are showstoppers.

--
rjbs
Attachments: signature.asc (0.48 KB)

craig.a.berry at gmail

Aug 3, 2012, 3:57 PM

Re: perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Ricardo Signes
<perl.p5p [at] rjbs> wrote:
> * Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p [at] rjbs> [2012-08-03T15:00:46]
>> We are relieved to announce Perl 5.16.1, the second stable release of
>> Perl 5.16.
>
> Well, RC1. In all cases, in that email, remember that it was an RC. I was
> just so excited I couldn't be bothered to add that enough times. Oops!

And a URL that seems to actually work is :

<http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/R/RJ/RJBS/perl-5.16.1-RC1.tar.bz2>

paul at pjcj

Aug 4, 2012, 4:52 AM

Re: perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 05:57:52PM -0500, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Ricardo Signes
> <perl.p5p [at] rjbs> wrote:
> > * Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p [at] rjbs> [2012-08-03T15:00:46]
> >> We are relieved to announce Perl 5.16.1, the second stable release of
> >> Perl 5.16.
> >
> > Well, RC1. In all cases, in that email, remember that it was an RC. I was
> > just so excited I couldn't be bothered to add that enough times. Oops!
>
> And a URL that seems to actually work is :
>
> <http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/R/RJ/RJBS/perl-5.16.1-RC1.tar.bz2>

I've done a cpancover run with 5.16.1-RC1 - http://cpancover.com

It doesn't really mean much since I can't easily compare the results
against 5.16.0, but at least it shows that there isn't a catastrophic
failure.

--
Paul Johnson - paul [at] pjcj
http://www.pjcj.net

francois.perrad at gadz

Aug 5, 2012, 4:58 AM

Re: perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available [In reply to]

2012/8/3 Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p [at] rjbs>:
> * Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p [at] rjbs> [2012-08-03T15:00:46]
>> We are relieved to announce Perl 5.16.1, the second stable release of
>> Perl 5.16.
>
> Well, RC1. In all cases, in that email, remember that it was an RC. I was
> just so excited I couldn't be bothered to add that enough times. Oops!
>
> The real thing should drop next week unless there are showstoppers.

The build of microperl is broken in 5.16.0, but restored in blead
(since the 27 Jul 2012)
see http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/d40eae8f110fb9900e82648a2c44710def9f117d

Could you cherry-pick this commit ?

Thanks.

François Perrad

> --
> rjbs

explorer at joaquinferrero

Aug 5, 2012, 6:24 AM

Re: perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available [In reply to]

El 03/08/12 21:08, Ricardo Signes escribió:
> * Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p [at] rjbs> [2012-08-03T15:00:46]
>> We are relieved to announce Perl 5.16.1, the second stable release of
>> Perl 5.16.
>
> Well, RC1. In all cases, in that email, remember that it was an RC. I was
> just so excited I couldn't be bothered to add that enough times. Oops!
>
> The real thing should drop next week unless there are showstoppers.

The op/filetest.t is falling (same of v5.16.0), and the pod documentation is not pached (mainly perlcheat.pod).

JF

perl.p5p at rjbs

Aug 5, 2012, 7:21 AM

Re: perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available [In reply to]

* François Perrad <francois.perrad [at] gadz> [2012-08-05T07:58:27]
> The build of microperl is broken in 5.16.0, but restored in blead
> (since the 27 Jul 2012)
> see http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/d40eae8f110fb9900e82648a2c44710def9f117d
>
> Could you cherry-pick this commit ?

I will put this on the list for 5.16.2, expected around Nov 1.

--
rjbs
Attachments: signature.asc (0.48 KB)

perl.p5p at rjbs

Aug 8, 2012, 3:30 PM

perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available [In reply to]

Don't you know? You never split the party
Clerics in the back to keep those fighters hale and hearty
The wizard in the middle, where he can shed some light
And you never let that damn thief out of sight…

-- Emerald Rose, Never Split The Party

We are pleased to announce Perl 5.16.1, the second stable release of
Perl 5.16.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.16.1 from your favorite CPAN
mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/RJBS/perl-5.16.1/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

14955f9869eef5029fea7fcc48d0b2afabb16d1e perl-5.16.1.tar.bz2
60f2b81e3ffaff3030962ccbc02cd04f91f69ad5 perl-5.16.1.tar.gz

[...]

nick at ccl4

Aug 9, 2012, 12:26 AM

Re: perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 06:30:37PM -0400, Ricardo Signes wrote:

> Perl continues to flourish into its third decade thanks to a vibrant
> community of users and developers. The following people are known to
> have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.16.1:
>
> Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Craig A. Berry, Father Chrysostomos, Karl
> Williamson, Paul Johnson, Reini Urban, Ricardo Signes, Tony Cook.
>
> The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
> generated from version control history. In particular, it does not
> include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
> reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.

Rah, Good stuff. Thanks Ricardo, for cat herding this to the point of escape.

Nicholas Clark