Mailing List Archive: Perl: porters

[perl #114278] Dual life install location

perlbug-followup at perl

Jul 26, 2012, 7:17 AM

[perl #114278] Dual life install location

# New Ticket Created by Leon Timmermans
# Please include the string: [perl #114278]

Historically, dual-life modules have upgraded to the "perl"/"core"
installdirs (as opposed to site, where most modules go). This kind of
made sense before 5.12, when we made sense out of our default loading
order, but really doesn't anymore right now. We should make all dual
life modules install to site when installed from CPAN on 5.12+.

Currently, It seems at least these modules fail to do that:

Storable
Module-CoreList
lib
ExtUtils-CBuilder
IO
Encode
List-Util
Digest-SHA
Module-Plugable
CPANPLUS
Math-Complex
Time-Piece
Unicode-Normalize
Unicode-Collate
IPC-SysV
Compress-Raw-Bzip2
Win32API-File
DB_File
IO-Compress
Compress-Raw-Zlib
Mime-Base64
Time-HiRes
Devel-PPPort
Win32
ExtUtils-MakeMaker
Module-Build

The last two didn't show up when grepping (since they don't have a
Makefile.PL in core), I may have missed some more.

Leon

xdaveg at gmail

Jul 26, 2012, 7:48 AM

Re: [perl #114278] Dual life install location [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Leon Timmermans
<perlbug-followup [at] perl> wrote:
> Historically, dual-life modules have upgraded to the "perl"/"core"
> installdirs (as opposed to site, where most modules go). This kind of
> made sense before 5.12, when we made sense out of our default loading
> order, but really doesn't anymore right now. We should make all dual
> life modules install to site when installed from CPAN on 5.12+.

I wonder if we should patch EU::MM and M::B to detect dual-life
modules from Module::CoreList and override the install location if
incorrect for a given version of Perl.

That might be too draconian, as someone might have reasons to install
in the wrong place -- but they could prompt first.

-- David

fawaka at gmail

Jul 26, 2012, 8:02 AM

Re: [perl #114278] Dual life install location [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Leon Timmermans
<perlbug-followup [at] perl> wrote:
> The last two didn't show up when grepping (since they don't have a
> Makefile.PL in core), I may have missed some more.

That indeed seems to be the case. PathTools, AutoLoader, SelfLoader,
parent, Archive::Tar, Filter::Simple, Text::Balanced,
Package-Constants, NEXT, base, Text-ParseWords, File-Fetch, Net-Ping.
And that's just from the first page of grep.cpan.me.

Leon

fawaka at gmail

Jul 29, 2012, 5:38 AM

Re: [perl #114278] Dual life install location [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Leon Timmermans <fawaka [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Leon Timmermans
> <perlbug-followup [at] perl> wrote:
>> The last two didn't show up when grepping (since they don't have a
>> Makefile.PL in core), I may have missed some more.
>
> That indeed seems to be the case. PathTools, AutoLoader, SelfLoader,
> parent, Archive::Tar, Filter::Simple, Text::Balanced,
> Package-Constants, NEXT, base, Text-ParseWords, File-Fetch, Net-Ping.
> And that's just from the first page of grep.cpan.me.

See http://grep.cpan.me/?q=INSTALLDIRS\s*%3D%3E.*perl and
http://grep.cpan.me/?q=installdirs\s*%3D%3E.*core for more. Quite
frankly, it seems we should assume any dual-life module is always
installing to 'perl' unless prove otherwise is given.

Leon

fawaka at gmail

Jul 23, 2013, 6:21 PM

Re: [perl #114278] Dual life install location [In reply to]

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 3:17 AM, James E Keenan via RT
<perlbug-followup [at] perl> wrote:
> Leon,
>
> Is this the same problem as is being tracked in
> https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=116479?
>
> Thank you very much.
> Jim Keenan

Yes it is.