Hunger allows no choice
To the citizen or the police;
We must love one another or die.

-- W.H. Auden, September 1, 1939

The Perl 5 development team is gratified to announce the release of
Perl 5.16.0!

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.16.0 from your favorite CPAN
mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/RJBS/perl-5.16.0/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

56fb8097ff3e472f7a057848b37cb9ede7662b74 perl-5.16.0.tar.bz2
d21de2b409d99440047a4e67a61f0a781ea2f66b perl-5.16.0.tar.gz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located in
the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web.

Perl 5.16.0 represents approximately 12 months of development since Perl
5.14.0 and contains approximately 590,000 lines of changes across 2,500
files from 139 authors.

Perl continues to flourish into its third decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to
have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.16.0:

Aaron Crane, Abhijit Menon-Sen, Abigail, Alan Haggai Alavi, Alberto
Simões, Alexandr Ciornii, Andreas König, Andy Dougherty, Aristotle
Pagaltzis, Bo Johansson, Bo Lindbergh, Breno G. de Oliveira, brian d
foy, Brian Fraser, Brian Greenfield, Carl Hayter, Chas. Owens,
Chia-liang Kao, Chip Salzenberg, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Christian
Hansen, Christopher J. Madsen, chromatic, Claes Jacobsson, Claudio
Ramirez, Craig A. Berry, Damian Conway, Daniel Kahn Gillmor, Darin
McBride, Dave Rolsky, David Cantrell, David Golden, David Leadbeater,
David Mitchell, Dee Newcum, Dennis Kaarsemaker, Dominic Hargreaves,
Douglas Christopher Wilson, Eric Brine, Father Chrysostomos, Florian
Ragwitz, Frederic Briere, George Greer, Gerard Goossen, Gisle Aas,
H.Merijn Brand, Hojung Youn, Ian Goodacre, James E Keenan, Jan Dubois,
Jerry D. Hedden, Jesse Luehrs, Jesse Vincent, Jilles Tjoelker, Jim
Cromie, Jim Meyering, Joel Berger, Johan Vromans, Johannes Plunien, John
Hawkinson, John P. Linderman, John Peacock, Joshua ben Jore, Juerd
Waalboer, Karl Williamson, Karthik Rajagopalan, Keith Thompson, Kevin J.
Woolley, Kevin Ryde, Laurent Dami, Leo Lapworth, Leon Brocard, Leon
Timmermans, Louis Strous, Lukas Mai, Marc Green, Marcel Grünauer, Mark
A. Stratman, Mark Dootson, Mark Jason Dominus, Martin Hasch, Matthew
Horsfall, Max Maischein, Michael G Schwern, Michael Witten, Mike
Sheldrake, Moritz Lenz, Nicholas Clark, Niko Tyni, Nuno Carvalho, Pau
Amma, Paul Evans, Paul Green, Paul Johnson, Perlover, Peter John Acklam,
Peter Martini, Peter Scott, Phil Monsen, Pino Toscano, Rafael
Garcia-Suarez, Rainer Tammer, Reini Urban, Ricardo Signes, Robin Barker,
Rodolfo Carvalho, Salvador Fandiño, Sam Kimbrel, Samuel Thibault, Shawn
M Moore, Shigeya Suzuki, Shirakata Kentaro, Shlomi Fish, Sisyphus,
Slaven Rezic, Spiros Denaxas, Steffen Müller, Steffen Schwigon, Stephen
Bennett, Stephen Oberholtzer, Stevan Little, Steve Hay, Steve Peters,
Thomas Sibley, Thorsten Glaser, Timothe Litt, Todd Rinaldo, Tom
Christiansen, Tom Hukins, Tony Cook, Vadim Konovalov, Vincent Pit,
Vladimir Timofeev, Walt Mankowski, Yves Orton, Zefram, Zsbán Ambrus,
Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not
include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
modules included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN
community for helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors,
please see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release Perl 5.16.1 on or around June 20, 2012, addressing
significant bugs found after this release. The 5.17 development branch
will open shortly, and a 5.17.0 release will follow within the month,
with regular monthly releases following on the 20th of each month. The
next major stable release of Perl 5, version 5.18.0, should appear in
May 2013.

--
rjbs
Attachments: signature.asc (0.48 KB)

sprout at cpan

Re: Perl 5.16.0 is now available! [In reply to]

Thank you!

jesse at fsck

Re: Perl 5.16.0 is now available! [In reply to]

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 06:54:47PM -0400, Ricardo Signes wrote:

> The Perl 5 development team is gratified to announce the release of
> Perl 5.16.0!

Thank you and congratulations!

-jesse

fawaka at gmail

Re: Perl 5.16.0 is now available! [In reply to]

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Ricardo Signes
<perl.p5p [at] rjbs> wrote:

> [...]
> generated from version control history.  In particular, it does not
> include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
> reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.
>
> Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
> modules included in Perl's core.  We're grateful to the entire CPAN
> community for helping Perl to flourish.
>
> For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors,
> please see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.
>
> We expect to release Perl 5.16.1 on or around June 20, 2012, addressing
> significant bugs found after this release.  The 5.17 development branch
> will open shortly, and a 5.17.0 release will follow within the month,
> with regular monthly releases following on the 20th of each month.  The
> next major stable release of Perl 5, version 5.18.0, should appear in

Congratulations :-)

Leon

shlomif at shlomifish

Re: Perl 5.16.0 is now available! [In reply to]

On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:54:47 -0400
Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p [at] rjbs> wrote:

> All I have is a voice
> To undo the folded lie,
> The romantic lie in the brain
> Of the sensual man-in-the-street
> And the lie of Authority
> Whose buildings grope the sky:
> There is no such thing as the State
> And no one exists alone;
> Hunger allows no choice
> To the citizen or the police;
> We must love one another or die.
>
> -- W.H. Auden, September 1, 1939
>
> The Perl 5 development team is gratified to announce the release of
> Perl 5.16.0!

Woot! That's great news. Congratulations to everybody for their hard work.

Now we need to spread the word.

(And now that the merge window is open we can dump more breaking changesets on
the pumpking… Poor pumpking. ;-) ).

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

pagaltzis at gmx

Re: Perl 5.16.0 is now available! [In reply to]

* Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p [at] rjbs> [2012-05-21 01:00]:
> The Perl 5 development team is gratified to announce the release of
> Perl 5.16.0!

*OSPN reporter shoves microphone into still panting Ricardo’s face*
“So, how does it feel to win your first stable release marathon?”

:-)

Congrats for getting it out the door.

david at kineticode

Re: Perl 5.16.0 is now available! [In reply to]

On May 20, 2012, at 3:54 PM, Ricardo Signes wrote:

> The Perl 5 development team is gratified to announce the release of
> Perl 5.16.0!

Wooo! Loving these annual releases, people. Many thanks!

David

jvromans at squirrel

Re: Perl 5.16.0 is now available! [In reply to]

Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p [at] rjbs> writes:

> You will soon be able to download Perl 5.16.0 from your favorite CPAN
> mirror or find it at:
>
> https://metacpan.org/release/RJBS/perl-5.16.0/
>
> SHA1 digests for this release are:
>
> 56fb8097ff3e472f7a057848b37cb9ede7662b74 perl-5.16.0.tar.bz2
> d21de2b409d99440047a4e67a61f0a781ea2f66b perl-5.16.0.tar.gz

Some/many/all CPAN mirrors do not have checksum files for 5.16.0.
There are, however, checksum files for stable.

-- Johan