perlbug-followup at perl
Apr 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #1 of 2
On Mon Sep 17 18:54:50 2001, don [at] resun wrote:
[perl #7698] Weird, underspecified, BSD error
> [Please enter your report here]
> I'm trying to run down a problem where a perl script is invoking
> a separate program, and is trying to interface via the stdio
> At this point, I'm not providing a test case, since I believe that
> one of the standard test cases may be relevant.
> The test case is included in pragma/warnings as test case #303
> (pp_hot.c). There is a note on the test that it fails on some BSD*
> systems, however, the same test also appears to be included in perl
> v5.004.04 and does not fail (at least under BSD v1.4.2).
> In other words, when using a higher version level of perl v5.6.1,
> the test fails, but when using perl v5.004.04, the test passes.
> Since it's two different versions of perl, running on the same OS,
> I'd suspect that something changed in perl that has caused the
> The program in question functions perfectly when using perl
> v5.004.04 under NetBSD v1.4.2. It is failing when using perl v5.6.1
> under NetBSD 1.5.2. (The problem that I fixed by using perl
> v5.004.04 under NetBSD v1.4.2 has reappeared since I reinstalled
> perl when I upgraded NetBSD to v1.5.2. I can't simply use the perl
> v5.004.04 code file, as the code file formats changed to ELF from
> a.out when the OS was changed, and also, the location of the
> libraries is different (libraries are under a different mount
> Ultimately, it would be nice to see perl v5.6.1 fixed so that it
> would correctly execute the program, and so that I wouldn't have to
> play games, trying to run two different version of perl at the same
> time (as I did under NetBSD v1.4.2).
> I'm willing to try and provide more information and/or run tests to
> try and determine what the problem is.
> [Please do not change anything below this line]
> Site configuration information for perl v5.6.1:
> Configured by don at Sun Sep 16 15:31:28 PDT 2001.
> Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 6 subversion 1)
> osname=netbsd, osvers=1.5.2, archname=i386-netbsd
> uname='netbsd pulsar.resun.com 1.5.2 netbsd 1.5.2 (resun) #0: mon
> sep 10 04:07:43 pdt 2001
> don [at] pulsar:usrsrcsysarchi386compileresun i386 '
> hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
> usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef
> useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
> use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
> cc='cc', ccflags ='-DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing
> optimize='-O2 -g',
> cppflags='-DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/pkg/include'
> ccversion='', gccversion='egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2
> release)', gccosandvers=''
> intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=1234
> d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define,
> ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t',
> alignbytes=4, usemymalloc=y, prototype=define
> Linker and Libraries:
> ld='cc', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib'
> libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/pkg/lib /usr/lib
> libs=-lm -lc -lposix -lcrypt -lutil
> perllibs=-lm -lc -lposix -lcrypt -lutil
> libc=/usr/lib/libc.so, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
> Dynamic Linking:
> dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-Wl,-E
> -Wl,-R/lib '
> cccdlflags='-DPIC -fPIC ', lddlflags='--whole-archive -shared
> -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib'
> Locally applied patches:
> @INC for perl v5.6.1:
> Environment for perl v5.6.1:
> LANG (unset)
> LANGUAGE (unset)
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH (unset)
> LOGDIR (unset)
> PERL_BADLANG (unset)
Since neither NetBSD 1.5.2 nor Perl 5.6 are supported, and newer Perls
install cleanly on NetBSD 5, I vote to close this.
via perlbug: queue: perl5 status: stalled