Mailing List Archive: Perl: porters

Re: Older RTs on AIX (anyone with gcc on AIX?)

dmcbride at cpan

On Saturday April 21 2012 7:03:23 PM James E Keenan wrote:
> https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=35132
>
> This is a META ticket with which we keep track of older RT tickets
> concerning the AIX operating system.
>
> Many of the individual tickets pertain to build/test/install issues on
> older versions of Perl, e.g., 5.6 and 5.8.
>
> Is there anyone with access to, and knowledge of, this OS who could
> triage these tickets?

Is there anyone with gcc on AIX that can help triage the others? For
political reasons, I'm not likely to get gcc on AIX when we have a corporate
license for xlC.

I've done most of the ones that either explicitly state xlC (I look for its
parameters in the flags) or don't state any compiler. Anyone who can take a
look just at the gcc ones would be helpful here.

I will likely not be able to go through them as much over the next few days,
but plan on doing another sweep later. One in particular will take a bit more
effort to set up (they're blaming NFS issues). Otherwise, I've got most of the
lower-hanging fruit here.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

h.m.brand at xs4all

Re: Older RTs on AIX (anyone with gcc on AIX?) [In reply to]

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 13:33:29 -0600, Darin McBride <dmcbride [at] cpan>
wrote:

> On Saturday April 21 2012 7:03:23 PM James E Keenan wrote:
> > https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=35132
> >
> > This is a META ticket with which we keep track of older RT tickets
> > concerning the AIX operating system.
> >
> > Many of the individual tickets pertain to build/test/install issues on
> > older versions of Perl, e.g., 5.6 and 5.8.
> >
> > Is there anyone with access to, and knowledge of, this OS who could
> > triage these tickets?
>
> Is there anyone with gcc on AIX that can help triage the others? For
> political reasons, I'm not likely to get gcc on AIX when we have a corporate
> license for xlC.
>
> I've done most of the ones that either explicitly state xlC (I look for its
> parameters in the flags) or don't state any compiler. Anyone who can take a
> look just at the gcc ones would be helpful here.
>
> I will likely not be able to go through them as much over the next few days,
> but plan on doing another sweep later. One in particular will take a bit more
> effort to set up (they're blaming NFS issues). Otherwise, I've got most of the
> lower-hanging fruit here.

On my only AIX (5.3) box left - gosh I hope we can ditch that too - I
have blead smoking continuously with alternating xlc and gcc. See the
two locations for full detail:

http://perl5.test-smoke.org/ <= look at AIX 5.3.0.0/ML12 host i3
http://doc.procura.nl/smoke/index.html <= look at AIX 5.3.0

Current state is very healthy

I hate AIX, but when you have a very specific question, you could try
to convince me into testing it

--
H.Merijn Brand http://tux.nl Perl Monger http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.14 porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE

nick at ccl4

Re: Older RTs on AIX (anyone with gcc on AIX?) [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 09:33:33AM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:

> On my only AIX (5.3) box left - gosh I hope we can ditch that too - I
> have blead smoking continuously with alternating xlc and gcc. See the
> two locations for full detail:
>
> http://perl5.test-smoke.org/ <= look at AIX 5.3.0.0/ML12 host i3
> http://doc.procura.nl/smoke/index.html <= look at AIX 5.3.0
>
> Current state is very healthy
>
> I hate AIX, but when you have a very specific question, you could try
> to convince me into testing it

I like AIX better than HP-UX*, but sadly the AIX machine that I've been given
access to doesn't have a working gcc.

(I like AIX partly because xlc is such a fussy compiler. If it works on
xlc there's a good chance that the code is clean enough to work most anywhere
else)

Nicholas Clark

* I don't think that this is the only opinion we differ on :-)

tammer at tammer

Re: Older RTs on AIX (anyone with gcc on AIX?) [In reply to]

Hello,
this is no problem I can install gcc.
Do you need a special gcc release or is gcc (GCC) 4.2.4 OK?

Bye
Rainer

Re: Older RTs on AIX (anyone with gcc on AIX?) [In reply to]

On Sunday April 29 2012 3:06:49 PM Rainer Tammer wrote:
> Hello,
> this is no problem I can install gcc.
> Do you need a special gcc release or is gcc (GCC) 4.2.4 OK?

I don't know what anyone else is expecting, but what I've been doing is using
a currently-supported version of both the OS and the compiler. With open
source, it becomes a bit murkier if only because we know that there will be
many users out there with slightly outdated versions even if those working on
the software no longer support that version, e.g., the perl 5.10.1 that comes
with AIX 7.

Yes, there are also many users using AIX 5.1/5.2 which are out of support, and
there will be many users of AIX 5.3 for some time to come, despite it going
out of support as of Tuesday. But, for some reason, my gut says that it's
easier to justify perl's focus on current versions of AIX and xlC than the
latest version of gcc and however far back they go. Maybe that's wrong, it
may just be my impression that commercial vendors offer longer-term support
than open-source teams, so someone who got AIX 6.1 the month it came out and
put gcc on it may find that their OS is supported with regular fixes plus
security fixes, but not their compiler.

So, if it's reasonably modern, IMO, it should be okay. Of course, if
something does go wrong with an old gcc release, eliminating that old gcc as
the problem may become necessary, despite MJD's maxim #11907.

Personally, I'd use what you had available and only upgrade if there becomes a
reason to. I'm more or less expecting it to just work, and then you save
yourself a bunch of extra hassle.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)