Mailing List Archive: Perl: porters

Perl 5 and MS Internet Server on NT

sliaw at usc

Perl 5 and MS Internet Server on NT

Hi,

I need help getting started with my web site. I
have Microsoft Internet Server installed on Windows
NT. I also have Perl 5 and PerIIS.dll installed on
the system, "C:\perl5".

But I am lost at this point. I have read
references to "cgi-bin" directory, but MS Internet
Server uses the directory "c:\inetsrv\scripts".

When I use Netscape browser to view the file, the
file shows up as text and all the perl switches are
ignore. The "/n" and "print" statments show up in
the browser.

Can someone help?

Thanks.

Sam

jay at cnmags

Re: Perl 5 and MS Internet Server on NT [In reply to]

terry william ogletree wrote:

> Samuel S. Liaw wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need help getting started with my web site. I
> > have Microsoft Internet Server installed on Windows
> > NT. I also have Perl 5 and PerIIS.dll installed on
> > the system, "C:\perl5".
> >
> > But I am lost at this point. I have read
> > references to "cgi-bin" directory, but MS Internet
> > Server uses the directory "c:\inetsrv\scripts".
> >
> > When I use Netscape browser to view the file, the
> > file shows up as text and all the perl switches are
> > ignore. The "/n" and "print" statments show up in
> > the browser.

I assume pearl.exe is already installed.

If you want to use the pearl scripts in your web server (cgi), it depends on the server you are using but
generally you use the regedit (run regedit.exe) the win NT registry.
2. open Hkey_local\system\currentcontrol\sewrvices\....
3.type the file name extention used for your scripts.
4.In the string editor, type the full path to the interpreter used with that scripts.
5. restart the WWW services.

That should do it.

You dont have to put all your cgi files in the scripts dir. you can put them anywhere as long as you tell the
server about it in the WWW service properties for you server. (Derectotory ). Map you other new cgi-bin
directory to /scripts.

Please let me know how you get on.

Regards
Jay Quadri
--

******************* Regards ****************************************
o""o"" ""oo' Email: jay [at] smartnet

twoinc at nando

Re: Perl 5 and MS Internet Server on NT [In reply to]

Samuel S. Liaw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need help getting started with my web site. I
> have Microsoft Internet Server installed on Windows
> NT. I also have Perl 5 and PerIIS.dll installed on
> the system, "C:\perl5".
>
> But I am lost at this point. I have read
> references to "cgi-bin" directory, but MS Internet
> Server uses the directory "c:\inetsrv\scripts".
>
> When I use Netscape browser to view the file, the
> file shows up as text and all the perl switches are
> ignore. The "/n" and "print" statments show up in
> the browser.
>
> Can someone help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sam

Sam -

Can you give us a sample of the beginning of the script?

t.w.ogletree
http://www.twoinc.com ! NT, VMS links.
two [at] twoinc
twoinc [at] nando
terry.ogletree [at] cplc

Evangelo.Prodromou at siemensrolm

RE: Perl 5 and MS Internet Server on NT [In reply to]

Hi,

Did you try using the File/Associate... menu item in File Manager to
associate "*.pl" files with perl?

You can tell that the ".pl" extension is associated by double-clicking on
your script in the File Manager. It should run, if it's associated
correctly.

~E.