Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Operators

Re: [Openstack-academia] Configuring for Research and Production

OpenStack operators RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

lorin at nimbisservices

Aug 1, 2012, 12:02 PM

On Jul 30, 2012, at 10:01 AM, Jonathan Proulx <jon [at] jonproulx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm rolling out OpenStack at MIT Computer Science and Artificial
> Intelligence Lab and I'm wondering how others have balanced supporting
> "normal" use of OpenStack's cloud platform for getting work done -vs-
> doing research on the platform itself?
>
> For example most of my users want a stable platform but some are
> interested in testing performance and stability of experimental
> pieces. Do people typically set this up as separate production and
> experimental clouds or use availability zones (or something else).
> Particularly on the research side I'm interested in provisioning a
> variety of storage backends (particularly for the volume server but
> possibly for instance storage as well). It' s unclear to me how or if
> I can configure multiple volume storage zones which would be my
> preferred implantation so volumes from different backends could be
> attached to the same instance and tested under the same conditions.
>
> Thanks,
> -Jon

Cross-posting this to the openstack-operators list, may get some additional insights there.

Take care,

Lorin
--
Lorin Hochstein
Lead Architect - Cloud Services

OpenStack operators RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded