Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Operators

Mail list thoughts

OpenStack operators RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

duncan at dreamhost

Mail list thoughts

Hey everyone,

The openstack@ mail list will be splitting in two, with
development-heaving conversations moving over to openstack-dev@ (once
this gets set up).

There has been discussion around eventually shutting down
openstack-operators@, with the intent of cultivating openstack@ as the
ops/devops mail list. I've been asking that we not do anything too
sudden, so that no one gets caught off-guard.

I wanted to mention this here so that everyone was aware, and this
could be discussed (if folks are inclined to do so).

jaypipes at gmail

Re: Mail list thoughts [In reply to]

On 05/01/2012 04:32 PM, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> The openstack@ mail list will be splitting in two, with
> development-heaving conversations moving over to openstack-dev@ (once
> this gets set up).
>
> There has been discussion around eventually shutting down
> openstack-operators@, with the intent of cultivating openstack@ as the
> ops/devops mail list. I've been asking that we not do anything too
> sudden, so that no one gets caught off-guard.
>
> I wanted to mention this here so that everyone was aware, and this
> could be discussed (if folks are inclined to do so).

Thanks for the update, Duncan. I'm 100% in favor of this. :)

-jay

duncan at dreamhost

Re: Mail list thoughts [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 05/01/2012 04:32 PM, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
>>
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> The openstack@ mail list will be splitting in two, with
>> development-heaving conversations moving over to openstack-dev@ (once
>> this gets set up).
>>
>> There has been discussion around eventually shutting down
>> openstack-operators@, with the intent of cultivating openstack@ as the
>> ops/devops mail list. I've been asking that we not do anything too
>> sudden, so that no one gets caught off-guard.
>>
>> I wanted to mention this here so that everyone was aware, and this
>> could be discussed (if folks are inclined to do so).
>

> Thanks for the update, Duncan. I'm 100% in favor of this. :)
>
> -jay

Cool, man.

Yeah, in light of the last few emails to the operators list where
folks where needing help from the devs, it looks like a fairly natural
move at this point :-)

stefano at openstack

Re: Mail list thoughts [In reply to]

On 05/01/2012 01:32 PM, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
> There has been discussion around eventually shutting down
> openstack-operators@, with the intent of cultivating openstack@ as the
> ops/devops mail list. I've been asking that we not do anything too
> sudden, so that no one gets caught off-guard.

I'd rather consolidate all the OpenStack lists in *one* place. If we're
getting rid of one list, I'd sacrifice the one hosted on Launchpad with
all its problems, and focus on making lists.openstack.org better.

/stef

matt at nycresistor

Re: Mail list thoughts [In reply to]

I agree with using a traditional list manager. It will make it easier
to mirror if we need to in the future. Also it's a defacto standard
in the tech community.

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano [at] openstack> wrote:
> On 05/01/2012 01:32 PM, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
>> There has been discussion around eventually shutting down
>> openstack-operators@, with the intent of cultivating openstack@ as the
>> ops/devops mail list. I've been asking that we not do anything too
>> sudden, so that no one gets caught off-guard.
>
> I'd rather consolidate all the OpenStack lists in *one* place. If we're
> getting rid of one list, I'd sacrifice the one hosted on Launchpad with
> all its problems, and focus on making lists.openstack.org better.
>
> /stef

duncan at dreamhost

Re: Mail list thoughts [In reply to]

+1

Mailman is good stuff. Been using it for years.

(do note, however, that the LP lists are mailman under the covers...
it's just a lot of covers, and they don't peel back...)

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Matt Joyce <matt [at] nycresistor> wrote:
> I agree with using a traditional list manager.  It will make it easier
> to mirror if we need to in the future.  Also it's a defacto standard
> in the tech community.
>
> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano [at] openstack> wrote:
>> On 05/01/2012 01:32 PM, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
>>> There has been discussion around eventually shutting down
>>> openstack-operators@, with the intent of cultivating openstack@ as the
>>> ops/devops mail list. I've been asking that we not do anything too
>>> sudden, so that no one gets caught off-guard.
>>
>> I'd rather consolidate all the OpenStack lists in *one* place. If we're
>> getting rid of one list, I'd sacrifice the one hosted on Launchpad with
>> all its problems, and focus on making lists.openstack.org better.
>>
>> /stef

vivekraghuwanshi at gmail

Re: Mail list thoughts [In reply to]

+1 for gnu

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Duncan McGreggor <duncan [at] dreamhost>wrote:

> +1
>
> Mailman is good stuff. Been using it for years.
>
> (do note, however, that the LP lists are mailman under the covers...
> it's just a lot of covers, and they don't peel back...)

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Matt Joyce <matt [at] nycresistor> wrote:
> > I agree with using a traditional list manager. It will make it easier
> > to mirror if we need to in the future. Also it's a defacto standard
> > in the tech community.
> >
> > On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano [at] openstack>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd rather consolidate all the OpenStack lists in *one* place. If we're
> >> getting rid of one list, I'd sacrifice the one hosted on Launchpad with
> >> all its problems, and focus on making lists.openstack.org better.
> >>
> >> /stef

ViVek Raghuwanshi
Mobile -+91-09595950504

Skype - vivek_raghuwanshi

stefano at openstack

Re: Mail list thoughts [In reply to]

On 05/04/2012 10:02 AM, Matt Joyce wrote:
> I agree with using a traditional list manager.

Just for the records, I don't necessarily advocate for using a
'traditional list manager'. Far from it. I'm simply advocating using one
system to have discussions among all members of the community.

Unfortunately there is no system out there that allows email interaction
*and* has a decent web interface that serves as an archive + allows
replying, start discussions etc (integrating classic email list with
forums). The few systems that I've seen are suboptimal in one way or
another (I published some notes on
http://maffulli.net/2012/05/03/in-search-of-a-modern-way-to-hold-discussions-online/.
I'd be much happier if we could have something like stackexchange or
even vanillaforums that would allow seameless email interaction but I
haven't found anything like that. If you are aware of such thing let me
know. Meanwhile, I think we should make do with what's available and known.

Cheers,
stef