Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Operators
Re: [Openstack] [Ops] OpenStack and Operations: Input from the Wild

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

Tim.Bell at cern

Re: [Openstack] [Ops] OpenStack and Operations: Input from the Wild [In reply to]

Availability metrics for me are ones that allow me to tell if the service is
up, degraded or down. Each of us as we start production monitoring need to
work out how many nova, glance and swift processes of which type should be
running. Furthermore, we need to add basic 'ping' style probes to see that
the services are responding as expected.

Performance metrics are for cases where we want to record how well the
system is running. Examples of number of REST calls/second, VMs
created/second etc. These are the kind of metrics which feed into capacity
planning, bottleneck identification, trending.

Building up an open, standard and consistent set will avoid duplicate effort
as sites deploy to production and allow us to keep the monitoring up to date
when the internals of OpenStack change.

Tim