Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Netstack

Common Database Interface

OpenStack netstack RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

gkotton at redhat

Common Database Interface

Hi,
I have posted the blueprint -
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/database-common
If anyone has any comments can you please let me know. I'd be happy to
start to work on this.
In nova there is a similar treatment - ../nova/nova/db/sqlalchemy. What
is the process when it comes to common code?
Thanks
Gary

mnewby at internap

Re: Common Database Interface [In reply to]

Hi Gary,

The blueprint looks like a good start for standardizing how plugins and agents communicate with a database.

It may also be helpful to think about how and why the database is used as a means for both storing and propagating state. An abstraction resulting from such consideration would likely allow integration with a different state propagation mechanism (amqp, zeromq, etc).

Thanks,

Maru

On 2012-04-28, at 10:51 AM, Gary Kotton wrote:

> Hi,
> I have posted the blueprint - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/database-common
> If anyone has any comments can you please let me know. I'd be happy to start to work on this.
> In nova there is a similar treatment - ../nova/nova/db/sqlalchemy. What is the process when it comes to common code?
> Thanks
> Gary

dan at nicira

Re: Common Database Interface [In reply to]

Hi Gary,

Great that you're working on this. Looks like some of this is stuff you're
already tackling in in the DB-HA branch on gerrit, which is great.

A couple other things to note:
- we already have a basic shared database python API and shared sqlalchemy
models in the quantum/db directory. These were originally written for the
OVS plugin, but we put them here because we figured they might be useful to
other plugins. The current assumption is that this module will be
installed both on the main quantum server and for any agents (if needed),
so models can be used by both.
- when doing the consolidation, remember that not all plugins have a
database of this form, so putting it in the general plugins.ini or
quantum.conf might not make sense. Currently, DB config goes in the
plugin-specific config file. Another option would be to shift quantum.conf
to be able to have sections that are plugin specific, to reduce the total
number of config files needed (We've been planning on eliminating
plugins.ini).
- "Name of database log file" Is this referring to logging on the
agent-side or on the main quantum server? I've noticed that agents
currently do not accept on option for logfiles, which is a definite
oversight. Would be great to clean that up.

Dan

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Gary Kotton <gkotton [at] redhat> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have posted the blueprint - https://blueprints.launchpad.**
> net/quantum/+spec/database-**common<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/database-common>
> If anyone has any comments can you please let me know. I'd be happy to
> start to work on this.
> In nova there is a similar treatment - ../nova/nova/db/sqlalchemy. What is
> the process when it comes to common code?
> Thanks
> Gary

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com