Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Netstack
Role of "nova-manage network" commands when using QuantumManager

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

Mandar.Vaze at nttdata

Role of "nova-manage network" commands when using QuantumManager

It is my understanding that in multi-node setup :

* nova-manage can be executed from any machine which may not be running nova-network process. (Or should nova-manage always be run on nova-network node ?)

* nova-manage does DB operations and delegates the actual networking calls to nova-network process ?

Is this understanding correct ?

I traced "nova-manage network create" and nova-manage network delete" using FlatDHCPManager (default for devstack/stack.sh)
Both these calls seem to be doing only DB operations.
BTW, nova-network process was shutdown during both "network create" and "network delete" - Still both operations were successful.

But when using QuantumManager as network manager - nova-manage seems to be doing networking operations like "iptables-save" (during network create) and "kill_dhcp" (during network delete)
(via linux-net L3 driver)

Since nova-manage command may be executed on a host which isn't running nova-network - network commands like "iptables" and "kill -9 <pid of dnsmasq>" on host running nova-manage seems incorrect.

For the first scenario (iptables-save during "network create" - there is already a defect in LP : https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/977738
and review : https://review.openstack.org/6451

I would like your comments and opinions which would help me understand "What nova-manage should and should NOT do"

Thanks,
-Mandar

Disclaimer:This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence for the sole use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged, confidential, and proprietary data. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender by replying promptly to this email and then delete and destroy this email and any attachments without any further use, copying or forwarding