Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Foundation
Foundation Structure: An Alternative

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

b at renski

Mar 9, 2012, 7:29 PM

Foundation Structure: An Alternative [In reply to]

I currently don?t see a meaningful path around selling board seats in some shape of form.

Having a single, structured body dedicated to project evangelism has been key to OpenStack success so far. It is important that the foundation is able to raise meaningful amounts of money to fund its operations, staff and PR activities. On the other hand, expecting companies to commit $50K - $500K / year to the foundation without offering the credibility and nominal influence that comes with the board seat is not likely to work IMHO.

Selling board seats is like saying ?thank you for your donation, we publically acknowledge your goodwill and commitment to the foundation ? here is a board seat so you can supervise?

Selling rights to trademarks, training licenses and event sponsorships is like saying ?bitch, we are important, if you want to benefit from OpenStack ? pay us money?

One is about motivating donations?i.e. giving organizations a way to publically demonstrate their commitment to the good cause that is OpenStack; the other - about selling assets and milking the momentum of the brand. One has the ?goodwill donation mentality?, the other ? ?extortion mentality.? I feel that fewer will favor the latter.

-Boris