Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Foundation

Hello...

OpenStack foundation RSS feed   Index | Previous | View Threaded

jaypipes at gmail

Oct 12, 2011, 6:55 AM

Hello...

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:31 AM, <mark at openstack.org> wrote:
> I think this is a good list of questions Jay. ?I expect it will take some time to figure them all out. ?Agree with Thierry we need to separate them.

Oh, absolutely, I'm not trying to pressure anyone, just putting
questions out there to identify the scope of the discussions and
decisions to be made.

:)

-jay

jan_drake at hotmail

Oct 11, 2011, 8:07 PM

Hello... [In reply to]

...glad to see this formed. First salvos anyone. ;)

jaypipes at gmail

Oct 12, 2011, 5:52 AM

Hello... [In reply to]

Hi Jan!

I'd like to see some discussion regarding what initial functions will
move to a foundation first? Legal and trademark policy stuff,
copyright and patent management sound like good beginning efforts.

How are participating organizations going to join the foundation, and
what dollar amounts grant the donor organization what rights? Is it a
good idea to look at separating the (currently singular) Project
Policy Board into at least two boards, one focused on technical
matters and another focused on legal, copyright, and trademark issues?

What, if any, technical roles should be placed into the foundation?
Release management? Community management? Infrastructure development
like Jenkins and source control, list management, etc?

Should openstack.org and the maintenance of that site be moved under
control of foundation employees?

Should the foundation even have employees, or should foundation roles
simply be employees of donor organizations, with their salaries
composing some part of foundation membership dues?

All questions that I've personally been wondering about and questions
I heard voiced last week by numerous individuals.

Cheers,
-jay

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Jan Drake <jan_drake at hotmail.com> wrote:
> ...glad to see this formed. ?First salvos anyone. ?;)

thierry at openstack

Oct 12, 2011, 6:03 AM

Hello... [In reply to]

Jay Pipes wrote:
> I'd like to see some discussion regarding what initial functions will
> move to a foundation first? Legal and trademark policy stuff,
> copyright and patent management sound like good beginning efforts.

Ideally we should split those questions into separate threads, otherwise
all the discussion will end up on one thread ;)

Let me try to do that, before I answer you.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack

rbergero at redhat

Oct 12, 2011, 6:23 AM

Hello... [In reply to]

On 10/12/2011 06:03 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Jay Pipes wrote:
>> I'd like to see some discussion regarding what initial functions will
>> move to a foundation first? Legal and trademark policy stuff,
>> copyright and patent management sound like good beginning efforts.
> Ideally we should split those questions into separate threads, otherwise
> all the discussion will end up on one thread ;)
Is the plan to keep legal "stuff" on the Foundation list, or to actually
have a separate mailing list?

It feels as though there is going to be a huge list of questions/topics
- I think Jay has hit on a number of points, and it's probably just the
beginning. Maybe it would be a good idea to take a week or so and just
gather questions / concerns on-list - and then get a volunteer (yeah, I
just did that) to group those that are similar into discussion topics?
If there is a solid list, topics could be handled week-by-week, or at
least in an organized fashion on a mailing list (ie: [GroupingNameHere]
in subject).

I hate to say, "We need to discuss how to organize the discussion" - but
it seems like a bit of up-front organization will help, especially when
I have a sneaking suspicion that this list may have a high volume of
input. A schedule, a plan, and some lightweight organization can really
help avoid governance discussions becoming endless mailing-list threads
with nothing actionable going on, and instead provides everyone with a
bit accountability, and generally helps in Getting Things Done.

Just throwing in my $.02 in the name of saving everyone from things I've
seen before :)

-Robyn

> Let me try to do that, before I answer you.

mark at openstack

Oct 12, 2011, 6:31 AM

Hello... [In reply to]

I think this is a good list of questions Jay. I expect it will take some time to figure them all out. Agree with Thierry we need to separate them.

I think it would be good to give a few more days for people to join the list before diving in too deep. I'll put up a blog post today to help spread the word about the list.

As far as what to tackle first, I think it would make sense to start at a high level, recapping the discussion at the conference (video of it should be available next week to post) and address some of the initial questions about Mission & Scope before getting into structure, funding, and all that fun stuff :)

Scott Sanchez was kind enough to play court stenographer for last week's session. If anyone wants to clean it up, feel free: http://etherpad.openstack.org/BsUGmhl7QA

I'd like to see some discussion regarding what initial functions will
move to a foundation first? Legal and trademark policy stuff,
copyright and patent management sound like good beginning efforts.

How are participating organizations going to join the foundation, and
what dollar amounts grant the donor organization what rights? Is it a
good idea to look at separating the (currently singular) Project
Policy Board into at least two boards, one focused on technical
matters and another focused on legal, copyright, and trademark issues?

What, if any, technical roles should be placed into the foundation?
Release management? Community management? Infrastructure development
like Jenkins and source control, list management, etc?

Should openstack.org and the maintenance of that site be moved under
control of foundation employees?

Should the foundation even have employees, or should foundation roles
simply be employees of donor organizations, with their salaries
composing some part of foundation membership dues?

All questions that I've personally been wondering about and questions
I heard voiced last week by numerous individuals.

Cheers,
-jay

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Jan Drake <jan_drake at hotmail.com> wrote:
> ...glad to see this formed. ?First salvos anyone. ?;)

thierry at openstack

Oct 12, 2011, 6:42 AM

Hello... [In reply to]

mark at openstack.org wrote:
> I think this is a good list of questions Jay. I expect it will take some time to figure them all out. Agree with Thierry we need to separate them.

Split of topics done -- please follow-up on those specific threads. If
you have a new topic please start a new thread, will help in keeping the
discussion readable.

> I think it would be good to give a few more days for people to join the list before diving in too deep. I'll put up a blog post today to help spread the word about the list.

I agree. In the mean time, please quote liberally and use archives :)

> As far as what to tackle first, I think it would make sense to start at a high level, recapping the discussion at the conference (video of it should be available next week to post) and address some of the initial questions about Mission & Scope before getting into structure, funding, and all that fun stuff :)

Indeed, the most pressing thread of the three I just split is certainly
the "scope of the foundation" one. We could certainly use a "mission
statement" one or a "what is openstack" one. We could also use threads
presenting the advantages and drawbacks of other open source foundations
models, possibly inviting people from those foundations to comment.

--
Thierry