Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

VirtualBox support on OpenStack

karim.allah.ahmed at gmail

Jul 11, 2011, 12:47 AM

VirtualBox support on OpenStack

Does OpenStack Currently supports VirtualBox ?

I've taken a look at the code and I can see that there's currently no
drivers for VirtualBox on the virt/ directory and the current libvirt driver
doesn't support VirtualBox as well.

I've searched the web a little bit and I can see this
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~justin-fathomdb/nova/virtualbox-support/view/head:/nova/virt/virtualbox.py,
though I think it's a little bit outdated.

Is there any ongoing work to support VirtualBox ? Is there any technical
difficulties in adding support for it ?

--
Karim Allah Ahmed.
LinkedIn <http://eg.linkedin.com/pub/karim-allah-ahmed/13/829/550/>

lorin at isi

Jul 11, 2011, 4:45 PM

Re: VirtualBox support on OpenStack [In reply to]

Karim:

I'm not aware of anybody currently working on this, other than that old branch that you linked to.

I don't know know too much about VirtualBox, but since a libvirt VirtualBox driver exists, I suspect it would be straightforward to add support, it's just that nobody happens to be working on it.

You might want to try following up with the opscode guys, since they are active with both Vagrant (which uses VirtualBox) and OpenStack.

Lorin
--
Lorin Hochstein, Computer Scientist
USC Information Sciences Institute