Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

Question about Flat DHCP networking

ekirpichov at gmail

Aug 17, 2012, 2:58 PM

Question about Flat DHCP networking

Hi,

The documentation
http://docs.openstack.org/diablo/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-flat-dhcp-networking.html
has the passage: "The nova-network service will track leases and
releases in the database so it knows if a VM instance has stopped
properly configuring via DHCP"

Can someone briefly explain me what this means, if possible with rough
pointers to code?
I don't recall nova noticing when my VM actually stopped properly
configuring via DHCP.

--
Eugene Kirpichov
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekirpichov

arosen at nicira

Aug 18, 2012, 12:43 AM

Re: Question about Flat DHCP networking [In reply to]

Hi Eugene,

This means that if a VM stops it's DHCP client that nova-network will be
aware of this since the VM will not attempt to renew it's DHCP lease.

Aaron

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Eugene Kirpichov <ekirpichov [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The documentation
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/diablo/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-flat-dhcp-networking.html
> has the passage: "The nova-network service will track leases and
> releases in the database so it knows if a VM instance has stopped
> properly configuring via DHCP"
>
> Can someone briefly explain me what this means, if possible with rough
> pointers to code?
> I don't recall nova noticing when my VM actually stopped properly
> configuring via DHCP.
>
> --
> Eugene Kirpichov
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekirpichov

ekirpichov at gmail

Aug 18, 2012, 12:48 AM

Re: Question about Flat DHCP networking [In reply to]

Thanks. And how will n-net react?

18.08.2012, 0:43, Aaron Rosen <arosen [at] nicira> ():

> Hi Eugene,
>
> This means that if a VM stops it's DHCP client that nova-network will be aware of this since the VM will not attempt to renew it's DHCP lease.
>
> Aaron
>
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Eugene Kirpichov <ekirpichov [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The documentation
> http://docs.openstack.org/diablo/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-flat-dhcp-networking.html
> has the passage: "The nova-network service will track leases and
> releases in the database so it knows if a VM instance has stopped
> properly configuring via DHCP"
>
> Can someone briefly explain me what this means, if possible with rough
> pointers to code?
> I don't recall nova noticing when my VM actually stopped properly
> configuring via DHCP.
>
> --
> Eugene Kirpichov
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekirpichov

arosen at nicira

Aug 18, 2012, 1:01 AM

Re: Question about Flat DHCP networking [In reply to]

Hi Eugene,

I'm not sure I have not looked at the code (I'm guessing that it probably
keeps the lease around since it knows the VM is still active instead of
recycling the ip address). Though this is just a guess. You should look at
the implementation details if you are curious.

Aaron

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 3:48 AM, Eugene Kirpichov <ekirpichov [at] gmail>wrote:

> Thanks. And how will n-net react?
>

> 18.08.2012, в 0:43, Aaron Rosen <arosen [at] nicira> написал(а):
>
> Hi Eugene,
>
> This means that if a VM stops it's DHCP client that nova-network will be
> aware of this since the VM will not attempt to renew it's DHCP lease.
>
> Aaron
>
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Eugene Kirpichov <ekirpichov [at] gmail>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The documentation
>>
>> http://docs.openstack.org/diablo/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-flat-dhcp-networking.html
>> has the passage: "The nova-network service will track leases and
>> releases in the database so it knows if a VM instance has stopped
>> properly configuring via DHCP"
>>
>> Can someone briefly explain me what this means, if possible with rough
>> pointers to code?
>> I don't recall nova noticing when my VM actually stopped properly
>> configuring via DHCP.
>>
>> --
>> Eugene Kirpichov
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekirpichov

ekirpichov at gmail

Aug 20, 2012, 2:46 PM

Re: Question about Flat DHCP networking [In reply to]

Hi,

I found the code. It's a dnsmasq dhcp-script called by dnsmasq for
various events, it resides in nova/bin/nova-dhcpbridge and it, among
other things, calls release_fixed_ip when the lease expires.

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Aaron Rosen <arosen [at] nicira> wrote:
> Hi Eugene,
>
> I'm not sure I have not looked at the code (I'm guessing that it probably
> keeps the lease around since it knows the VM is still active instead of
> recycling the ip address). Though this is just a guess. You should look at
> the implementation details if you are curious.
>
> Aaron
>

> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 3:48 AM, Eugene Kirpichov <ekirpichov [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks. And how will n-net react?
>>

>> 18.08.2012, в 0:43, Aaron Rosen <arosen [at] nicira> написал(а):
>>
>> Hi Eugene,
>>
>> This means that if a VM stops it's DHCP client that nova-network will be
>> aware of this since the VM will not attempt to renew it's DHCP lease.
>>
>> Aaron
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Eugene Kirpichov <ekirpichov [at] gmail>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The documentation
>>>
>>> http://docs.openstack.org/diablo/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-flat-dhcp-networking.html
>>> has the passage: "The nova-network service will track leases and
>>> releases in the database so it knows if a VM instance has stopped
>>> properly configuring via DHCP"
>>>
>>> Can someone briefly explain me what this means, if possible with rough
>>> pointers to code?
>>> I don't recall nova noticing when my VM actually stopped properly
>>> configuring via DHCP.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Eugene Kirpichov
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekirpichov

Eugene Kirpichov
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekirpichov

hitesh.wadekar at gmail

Aug 20, 2012, 10:21 PM

Re: Question about Flat DHCP networking [In reply to]

May be this article will help.

http://www.mirantis.com/blog/openstack-networking-flatmanager-and-flatdhcpmanager/

Thanks,
Hitesh

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Eugene Kirpichov <ekirpichov [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found the code. It's a dnsmasq dhcp-script called by dnsmasq for
> various events, it resides in nova/bin/nova-dhcpbridge and it, among
> other things, calls release_fixed_ip when the lease expires.
>
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Aaron Rosen <arosen [at] nicira> wrote:
> > Hi Eugene,
> >
> > I'm not sure I have not looked at the code (I'm guessing that it probably
> > keeps the lease around since it knows the VM is still active instead of
> > recycling the ip address). Though this is just a guess. You should look
> at
> > the implementation details if you are curious.
> >
> > Aaron
> >

> > On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 3:48 AM, Eugene Kirpichov <ekirpichov [at] gmail>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks. And how will n-net react?
> >>

> >> 18.08.2012, в 0:43, Aaron Rosen <arosen [at] nicira> написал(а):
> >>
> >> Hi Eugene,
> >>
> >> This means that if a VM stops it's DHCP client that nova-network will be
> >> aware of this since the VM will not attempt to renew it's DHCP lease.
> >>
> >> Aaron

> http://docs.openstack.org/diablo/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-flat-dhcp-networking.html

> Eugene Kirpichov
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekirpichov

ekirpichov at gmail

Aug 20, 2012, 10:57 PM

Re: Question about Flat DHCP networking [In reply to]

Heh, that's an article by my colleague Piotr Siwczak, which I already
read very thouroughly during the review process - but thanks ;)

Actually I already found the answer to my question and added it to the
documentation (when the codereview is completed) - it was related to
nova-dhcpbridge script.

Aug 20, 2012, 11:00 PM

Re: Question about Flat DHCP networking [In reply to]

Oh..I see.

I look forward to see your code for it :)

Thanks,
Hitesh