Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

A blueprint on dynamic consolidation of virtual machines

anton.beloglazov at gmail

Aug 17, 2012, 1:22 AM

A blueprint on dynamic consolidation of virtual machines

Hi All,

I've recently submitted a blueprint describing my project of a framework
for dynamic consolidation of virtual machines for OpenStack:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/dynamic-consolidation-of-virtual-mforachines<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/dynamic-consolidation-of-virtual-machines>

If anyone is interested in this topic, it would be great to get any
feedback or suggestions.

Thanks,
Anton Beloglazov

anton.beloglazov at gmail

Aug 17, 2012, 1:25 AM

Re: A blueprint on dynamic consolidation of virtual machines [In reply to]

Sorry, the link got corrupted, here is the correct one:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/dynamic-consolidation-of-virtual-machines

Best regards,
Anton Beloglazov

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Anton Beloglazov <
anton.beloglazov [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've recently submitted a blueprint describing my project of a framework
> for dynamic consolidation of virtual machines for OpenStack:
>

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/dynamic-consolidation-of-virtual-mforachines<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/dynamic-consolidation-of-virtual-machines>
>
> If anyone is interested in this topic, it would be great to get any
> feedback or suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
> Anton Beloglazov

anton.beloglazov at gmail

Aug 17, 2012, 3:58 AM

Re: A blueprint on dynamic consolidation of virtual machines [In reply to]

The development is still in its early stages, but the source code is
already available on github: https://github.com/beloglazov/openstack-neat

Best regards,
Anton

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Anton Beloglazov <
anton.beloglazov [at] gmail> wrote:

> Sorry, the link got corrupted, here is the correct one:
>

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/dynamic-consolidation-of-virtual-machines
>
> Best regards,
> Anton Beloglazov
>

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Anton Beloglazov <
> anton.beloglazov [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've recently submitted a blueprint describing my project of a framework
>> for dynamic consolidation of virtual machines for OpenStack:
>>

>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/dynamic-consolidation-of-virtual-mforachines<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/dynamic-consolidation-of-virtual-machines>
>>
>> If anyone is interested in this topic, it would be great to get any
>> feedback or suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anton Beloglazov

diego.parrilla.santamaria at gmail

Aug 17, 2012, 4:24 AM

Re: A blueprint on dynamic consolidation of virtual machines [In reply to]

Hi Anton,

really interesting stuff. We are also in very early stages in a research
project to automate VM consolidation.

Most of the studies focus on information taken from power supplies and
physical devices. We are more interested in looking for patterns of
applications usage (database hits, IOPs, files used...)

What inputs are you using in your algorithms?
Regards
Diego

--
Diego Parrilla
<http://www.stackops.com/>*CEO*

*

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Anton Beloglazov <
anton.beloglazov [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've recently submitted a blueprint describing my project of a framework
> for dynamic consolidation of virtual machines for OpenStack:
>

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/dynamic-consolidation-of-virtual-mforachines<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/dynamic-consolidation-of-virtual-machines>
>
> If anyone is interested in this topic, it would be great to get any
> feedback or suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
> Anton Beloglazov

reagul.2007 at gmail

Aug 17, 2012, 4:41 AM

Re: A blueprint on dynamic consolidation of virtual machines [In reply to]

Interesting stuff Diego. We have rolled out a local ( very basic
consolidation process ) in our internal cloud. We detect the load and move
it acorss data stores betwen high and low capacities and also so Load
balancing of new Vms vs Datastore when provisioning new systems.

Ravi.

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 7:24 AM, Diego Parrilla Santamarķa <
diego.parrilla.santamaria [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi Anton,
>
> really interesting stuff. We are also in very early stages in a research
> project to automate VM consolidation.
>
> Most of the studies focus on information taken from power supplies and
> physical devices. We are more interested in looking for patterns of
> applications usage (database hits, IOPs, files used...)
>
> What inputs are you using in your algorithms?
> Regards
> Diego
>
> --
> Diego Parrilla
> <http://www.stackops.com/>*CEO*
> *www.stackops.com | * diego.parrilla [at] stackops** | +34 649 94 43 29 |
> skype:diegoparrilla*
> * <http://www.stackops.com/>
> *
>
> *
>

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Anton Beloglazov <
> anton.beloglazov [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've recently submitted a blueprint describing my project of a framework
>> for dynamic consolidation of virtual machines for OpenStack:
>>

>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/dynamic-consolidation-of-virtual-mforachines<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/dynamic-consolidation-of-virtual-machines>
>>
>> If anyone is interested in this topic, it would be great to get any
>> feedback or suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anton Beloglazov

anton.beloglazov at gmail

Aug 17, 2012, 4:41 AM

Re: A blueprint on dynamic consolidation of virtual machines [In reply to]

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your interest! My algorithms are based on analyzing historical
data on the CPU utilization by VMs. The idea is to abstract from the
application-specific details and make the system applicable to any kinds of
workloads. The CPU utilization data are used to decide when VMs can be
consolidated, and also to deconsolidate VMs when there is a high risk of
performance degradation. If you are interested in the details of the
algorithms, they are given in the following two papers:

[1] Anton Beloglazov and Rajkumar Buyya, "Optimal Online Deterministic
Algorithms and Adaptive Heuristics for Energy and Performance Efficient
Dynamic Consolidation of Virtual Machines in Cloud Data Centers",
Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience (CCPE), Wiley Press,
New York, USA, 2012 (in press, accepted on September 2, 2011).
http://beloglazov.info/papers/2012-optimal-algorithms-ccpe.pdf

[2] Anton Beloglazov and Rajkumar Buyya, "Managing Overloaded Hosts for
Dynamic Consolidation of Virtual Machines in Cloud Data Centers Under
Quality of Service Constraints", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and
Distributed Systems (TPDS), IEEE CS Press, USA, 2012 (in press, accepted on
August 2, 2012).
http://beloglazov.info/papers/2012-host-overload-detection-tpds.pdf

Thanks,
Anton

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Diego Parrilla Santamarķa <