Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

Can't update the metadata via nova cli

han.sebastien at gmail

Aug 9, 2012, 1:56 PM

Can't update the metadata via nova cli

Hi everyone,

I tried a little today.

$ nova meta my_instance set hostname=new_hostname

I didn't get any errors.

Nothing in the instance (curl
http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data/hostname) even after reboot and
nothing in the instance db record.

Here are the nova-api trace, seems to be ok:

2012-08-07 15:18:58 INFO nova.api.openstack.wsgi
[req-c8bf2011-933b-4d6a-b28c-48063252fbf1 359076e3189b4658a4dd1b83d6313cc9
5172f50226f647ebb03ca4e4e82d056d] POST
http://172.17.1.2:8774/v2/5172f50226f647ebb03ca4e4e82d056d/servers/4e1c4652-199c-4160-9a73-2eddcf4cd21f/action
2012-08-07 15:18:59 INFO nova.api.openstack.wsgi
[req-c8bf2011-933b-4d6a-b28c-48063252fbf1 359076e3189b4658a4dd1b83d6313cc9
5172f50226f647ebb03ca4e4e82d056d]
http://172.17.1.2:8774/v2/5172f50226f647ebb03ca4e4e82d056d/servers/4e1c4652-199c-4160-9a73-2eddcf4cd21f/actionreturned
with HTTP 200

Did I miss something?

Last question, is there a way to update the metadata of a running instance.
I mean instead of updating the db record... For example re-injecting a SSH
key?

Cheers!

vishvananda at gmail

Aug 9, 2012, 3:31 PM

Re: Can't update the metadata via nova cli [In reply to]

On Aug 9, 2012, at 1:56 PM, Sébastien Han <han.sebastien [at] gmail> wrote:

> Did I miss something?

Unfortunately this is confusing because the term metadata is used for two different things.

the metadata visible to the instance is a replication of the aws metadata server. it is constructed from the database (mostly the instances table)

The metadata you were setting with your command are sets of keys and values that are visible in the compute api:

http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/developer/openstack-compute-api-1.1/content/MetadataSection.html

which is stored in the instance_metadata table

> Last question, is there a way to update the metadata of a running instance. I mean instead of updating the db record... For example re-injecting a SSH key?

no, there is currently no way of doing this through the api.

Vish

han.sebastien at gmail

Aug 9, 2012, 4:48 PM

Re: Can't update the metadata via nova cli [In reply to]

Thank you very much for those clarifications :D