Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

Why Image upload functionality is not there in Horizon ?

sajhak at gmail

Aug 8, 2012, 11:35 PM

Why Image upload functionality is not there in Horizon ?

Hi all,

After playing around with Openstack Mangement Console, Horizon, I realize
that the image upload functionality is not provided there.

Is there any special reason for that? Is it because there are no Rest
services available at the moment? or else is it felt that providing image
upload via the UI is not practically important?

--
Best Regards
Sajith

jaypipes at gmail

Aug 9, 2012, 10:42 AM

Re: Why Image upload functionality is not there in Horizon ? [In reply to]

On 08/09/2012 02:35 AM, Sajith Kariyawasam wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After playing around with Openstack Mangement Console, Horizon, I
> realize that the image upload functionality is not provided there.
>
> Is there any special reason for that? Is it because there are no Rest
> services available at the moment? or else is it felt that providing
> image upload via the UI is not practically important?

Probably because sending 20G Windows image files through a web form
interface isn't very efficient ;)

It's also not something a "regular user" of Glance/Nova would do -- and
system administrators won't do it very often, and when they do, they'll
use the glance CLI tool to do it.

Best,
-jay

Gabriel.Hurley at nebula

Aug 9, 2012, 11:05 AM

Re: Why Image upload functionality is not there in Horizon ? [In reply to]

Indeed, uploading large files with the Horizon webserver as an intermediate relay is a nasty business which we want to discourage. We are looking at ways to send files directly from the Horizon client-side UI to swift/glance for large file upload in the future.

All the best,

- Gabriel

sajhak at gmail

Aug 10, 2012, 2:16 AM

Re: Why Image upload functionality is not there in Horizon ? [In reply to]

Hi Gabriel,

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Gabriel Hurley
<Gabriel.Hurley [at] nebula>wrote:

> Indeed, uploading large files with the Horizon webserver as an
> intermediate relay is a nasty business which we want to discourage. We are
> looking at ways to send files directly from the Horizon client-side UI to
> swift/glance for large file upload in the future.

I'm also trying a same kind of an approach, my question was also based on
that. I was thinking of invoking Glance API s directly from the UI, not
going through Horizon webserver. Earlier by "Horizon" I was referring to
the "UI" only.

Therefore, there is a practical usage of this kind of a feature, isn't it?

> All the best,
>
> - Gabriel

Best Regards
Sajith

bcwaldon at gmail

Aug 10, 2012, 7:34 AM

Re: Why Image upload functionality is not there in Horizon ? [In reply to]

Even being able to add images while providing an external location would be useful. You could depend on your user to put it in swift or s3 and just provide a uri that references it.

On Aug 9, 2012, at 11:05 AM, Gabriel Hurley wrote:

> Indeed, uploading large files with the Horizon webserver as an intermediate relay is a nasty business which we want to discourage. We are looking at ways to send files directly from the Horizon client-side UI to swift/glance for large file upload in the future.
>
> All the best,
>
> - Gabriel

Gabriel.Hurley at nebula

Aug 10, 2012, 10:45 AM

Re: Why Image upload functionality is not there in Horizon ? [In reply to]

Horizon already has what you just described. You can load images into glance by providing a URI. It's the "Create Image" button on the Images table.

- Gabriel

sajhak at gmail

Aug 12, 2012, 11:12 PM

Re: Why Image upload functionality is not there in Horizon ? [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Gabriel Hurley
<Gabriel.Hurley [at] nebula>wrote:

> Horizon already has what you just described. You can load images into
> glance by providing a URI. It's the "Create Image" button on the Images
> table.

What is the version you are referring to ? I have installed Openstack
"Essex" version, but in Openstack Dashboard, Images and Snapshots section I
cannot find a "Create Image" button as you have mentioned. :(

Best Regards
Sajith

john.postlethwait at nebula

Aug 19, 2012, 12:51 PM

Re: Why Image upload functionality is not there in orizon ? [In reply to]

Brian, Everyone Else,

I added that in Folsom. You can create images if the actual image file is hosted elsewhere (not a local upload through the UI.) Here is a screenshot for the functionality: http://i.imgur.com/mYYV0.png

John Postlethwait
Nebula, Inc.
206-999-4492

On Friday, August 10, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Brian Waldon wrote:

> Even being able to add images while providing an external location would be useful. You could depend on your user to put it in swift or s3 and just provide a uri that references it.
>
> On Aug 9, 2012, at 11:05 AM, Gabriel Hurley wrote:
>
> > Indeed, uploading large files with the Horizon webserver as an intermediate relay is a nasty business which we want to discourage. We are looking at ways to send files directly from the Horizon client-side UI to swift/glance for large file upload in the future.
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > - Gabriel

Aug 19, 2012, 12:55 PM

Re: Why Image upload functionality is not there in Horizon ? [In reply to]

Sajith,

I added that functionality in Folsom, you will not see it in Essex...

John Postlethwait
Nebula, Inc.
206-999-4492