Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

[Quantum] Removing quantum-rootwrap

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All OpenStack dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jrd at redhat

Aug 14, 2012, 5:23 PM

Re: [Quantum] Removing quantum-rootwrap [In reply to]

> From: Dan Wendlandt <dan [at] nicira>
> Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:22:31 -0700
>
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry [at] openstack> wrote:
>
> Dan Wendlandt wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya
> > <vishvananda [at] gmail <mailto:vishvananda [at] gmail>> wrote:
> >
> >     This is up to dan, I suppose, but the rootwrap stuff seems like
> >     something worth granting a ffe to…
> >

> > I wasn't going to mention it, as the urgency of a nearby deadline can be
> > helpful :)
> >
> > But yes, I'd grant an ffe to something this important, especially
> > because it applies across all uses of quantum.
>
> On one hand it's a change that impacts almost all use cases, so
> definitely not something that is simple or self-contained. On the other,
> it's quite easy to trace back issues to this. In summary, if it's the
> only exception in Quantum, it's not really a problem :)
>
> [warning: a trick is included in the last paragraph]
>
> ttx, I caught it.... I'm on to your project management jedi mind tricks :)
>
> jrd, my feeling is that we'd need a patch for this under review this week to understand the
> magnitude of the changes if we want to consider if for a feature-freeze exception.  Thanks.

Got it.

I apologise that this is taking longer than I hoped. I'm still
spending more time on learning curve than getting real productive
stuff done. I suppose some of that's to be expected, but still.

I spent most of today getting my test env up to snuff, getting more
unit test infra written, and then trying to work out how to debug the
unit tests. My python-debugging techniques are rusty, so I have to
feel my way through.

I'll work with the local RH contingent tomorrow. If I can get my new
unit tests to behave, I *hope* to be able to run the rest of the suite
through in relatively short time. <cross fingers> If you (Dan and
ttx) start feeling like we're just too tight, please say so, and we'll
work out plan B. Until then, I'm going to keep banging on this to
pull it together.

jrd at redhat

Aug 16, 2012, 11:37 AM

Re: [Quantum] Removing quantum-rootwrap [In reply to]

> From: jrd [at] redhat
> Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:23:52 -0400
>
> > From: Dan Wendlandt <dan [at] nicira>
> > Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:22:31 -0700
> >

> > jrd, my feeling is that we'd need a patch for this under review this week to understand the
> > magnitude of the changes if we want to consider if for a feature-freeze exception. Thanks.
>
> Got it.

Update: Dan and ttx, Gary has uploaded a patch set addressing the fix
of quantum-rootwrap for me, until I finish getting my credentials
sorted out so that I can push them myself.

See https://review.openstack.org/11472

There's a couple of review comments, which I will address. What's
your inclination? Have we come close enough to the deadline to
justify getting this in for f-3, or should we hold off and treat it
as a bug later?

thierry at openstack

Aug 16, 2012, 11:44 AM

Re: [Quantum] Removing quantum-rootwrap [In reply to]

jrd [at] redhat wrote:
> Update: Dan and ttx, Gary has uploaded a patch set addressing the fix
> of quantum-rootwrap for me, until I finish getting my credentials
> sorted out so that I can push them myself.
>
> See https://review.openstack.org/11472
>
> There's a couple of review comments, which I will address. What's
> your inclination? Have we come close enough to the deadline to
> justify getting this in for f-3, or should we hold off and treat it
> as a bug later?

F3 branch was cut, so it's too late for that... But if you're close then
we should consider it a bug and fix it before RC1.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack