Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

[OpenStack][Nova] Question regarding multiple network interfaces

leanderbb at gmail

Aug 7, 2012, 8:18 AM

[OpenStack][Nova] Question regarding multiple network interfaces

Hello,

I have a question regarding the use of two network interfaces. According to
the official documentation, one of the interfaces is used for public access
and the other for internal access (inter-vm communication). What i'd like
to know is how does an instance connect to the outside world (internet
access)? Is it done through the switch connected to the private interface
or the public interface?

--
Cumprimentos / Regards,
Leander

han.sebastien at gmail

Aug 7, 2012, 12:26 PM

Re: [OpenStack][Nova] Question regarding multiple network interfaces [In reply to]

Hi,

If eth0 is connected to the public switch and if eth1 is connected to
the private switch you can enable the ipv4 forwarding on the compute
node. Thanks to this the VMs will have access to the outside world and
the packet will be routed from eth1 to eth0 :).

Cheers!

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Leander Bessa Beernaert
<leanderbb [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding the use of two network interfaces. According to
> the official documentation, one of the interfaces is used for public access
> and the other for internal access (inter-vm communication). What i'd like to
> know is how does an instance connect to the outside world (internet access)?
> Is it done through the switch connected to the private interface or the
> public interface?
>
> --
> Cumprimentos / Regards,
> Leander

leanderbb at gmail

Aug 7, 2012, 2:50 PM

Re: [OpenStack][Nova] Question regarding multiple network interfaces [In reply to]

Is there a flag in the nova.conf file or is this something that needs to be
done on the operating system?

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Sébastien Han <han.sebastien [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If eth0 is connected to the public switch and if eth1 is connected to
> the private switch you can enable the ipv4 forwarding on the compute
> node. Thanks to this the VMs will have access to the outside world and
> the packet will be routed from eth1 to eth0 :).
>
> Cheers!
>
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Leander Bessa Beernaert
> <leanderbb [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a question regarding the use of two network interfaces. According
> > the official documentation, one of the interfaces is used for public
> access
> > and the other for internal access (inter-vm communication). What i'd
> like to
> > know is how does an instance connect to the outside world (internet
> access)?
> > Is it done through the switch connected to the private interface or the
> > public interface?
> >
> > --
> > Cumprimentos / Regards,
> > Leander

Cumprimentos / Regards,
Leander

emilien.macchi at stackops

Aug 7, 2012, 3:23 PM

Re: [OpenStack][Nova] Question regarding multiple network interfaces [In reply to]

Hi,

If you run VlanManager [1] you have actually two important flags :

Private Switch :

vlan_interface=ethX

Public Switch :

public_interface=ethX

[1]
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-vlan-networking.html

Regards

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM, Leander Bessa Beernaert <
leanderbb [at] gmail> wrote:

> Is there a flag in the nova.conf file or is this something that needs to
> be done on the operating system?
>

> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Sébastien Han <han.sebastien [at] gmail>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If eth0 is connected to the public switch and if eth1 is connected to
>> the private switch you can enable the ipv4 forwarding on the compute
>> node. Thanks to this the VMs will have access to the outside world and
>> the packet will be routed from eth1 to eth0 :).
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Leander Bessa Beernaert
>> <leanderbb [at] gmail> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have a question regarding the use of two network interfaces.
>> According to
>> > the official documentation, one of the interfaces is used for public
>> access
>> > and the other for internal access (inter-vm communication). What i'd
>> like to
>> > know is how does an instance connect to the outside world (internet
>> access)?
>> > Is it done through the switch connected to the private interface or the
>> > public interface?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Cumprimentos / Regards,
>> > Leander

> Cumprimentos / Regards,
> Leander

Emilien Macchi
*System Engineer*
*www.stackops.com

| *emilien.macchi [at] stackops** *|* skype:emilien.macchi*
* <http://www.stackops.com>
*

*

******************** ADVERTENCIA LEGAL ********************
Le informamos, como destinatario de este mensaje, que el correo electrónico
y las comunicaciones por medio de Internet no permiten asegurar ni
garantizar la confidencialidad de los mensajes transmitidos, así como
tampoco su integridad o su correcta recepción, por lo que STACKOPS
TECHNOLOGIES S.L. no asume responsabilidad alguna por tales circunstancias.
Si no consintiese en la utilización del correo electrónico o de las
comunicaciones vía Internet le rogamos nos lo comunique y ponga en nuestro
conocimiento de manera inmediata. Este mensaje va dirigido, de manera
exclusiva, a su destinatario y contiene información confidencial y sujeta
al secreto profesional, cuya divulgación no está permitida por la ley. En
caso de haber recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que, de forma
inmediata, nos lo comunique mediante correo electrónico remitido a nuestra
atención y proceda a su eliminación, así como a la de cualquier documento
adjunto al mismo. Asimismo, le comunicamos que la distribución, copia o
utilización de este mensaje, o de cualquier documento adjunto al mismo,
cualquiera que fuera su finalidad, están prohibidas por la ley.

***************** PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL ****************
We hereby inform you, as addressee of this message, that e-mail and
Internet do not guarantee the confidentiality, nor the completeness or
proper reception of the messages sent and, thus, STACKOPS TECHNOLOGIES S.L.
does not assume any liability for those circumstances. Should you not agree
to the use of e-mail or to communications via Internet, you are kindly
requested to notify us immediately. This message is intended exclusively
for the person to whom it is addressed and contains privileged and
confidential information protected from disclosure by law. If you are not
the addressee indicated in this message, you should immediately delete it
and any attachments and notify the sender by reply e-mail. In such case,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or
use of this message or any attachments, for any purpose, is strictly
prohibited by law.

han.sebastien at gmail

Aug 7, 2012, 3:32 PM

Re: [OpenStack][Nova] Question regarding multiple network interfaces [In reply to]

It's part of the operating system

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Then edit your /etc/sysctl.conf and uncomment net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 to
make this persistent after reboot.

Finally run --> # sysctl -p

That's all, cheers!

<leanderbb [at] gmail> wrote:
> Is there a flag in the nova.conf file or is this something that needs to be
> done on the operating system?
>

> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Sébastien Han <han.sebastien [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If eth0 is connected to the public switch and if eth1 is connected to
>> the private switch you can enable the ipv4 forwarding on the compute
>> node. Thanks to this the VMs will have access to the outside world and
>> the packet will be routed from eth1 to eth0 :).
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Leander Bessa Beernaert
>> <leanderbb [at] gmail> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have a question regarding the use of two network interfaces. According
>> > the official documentation, one of the interfaces is used for public
>> > access
>> > and the other for internal access (inter-vm communication). What i'd
>> > like to
>> > know is how does an instance connect to the outside world (internet
>> > access)?
>> > Is it done through the switch connected to the private interface or the
>> > public interface?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Cumprimentos / Regards,
>> > Leander

> Cumprimentos / Regards,
> Leander

leanderbb at gmail

Aug 8, 2012, 3:05 AM

Re: [OpenStack][Nova] Question regarding multiple network interfaces [In reply to]

So i have set up a small proof of concept, one controller node and two
compute nodes. Since the switches do not support VLAN i'm using flat dhcp.
Each machine has two network interfaces. Eth0 is connected to the public
switch and eth1 to the private switch. The private switch has no access to
the internet.

Both compute nodes have the value of cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward set
to 1. However, i still can't make an instance connect to the outside.

Any thoughts?

--
Cumprimentos / Regards,
Leander

han.sebastien at gmail

Aug 9, 2012, 1:58 PM

Re: [OpenStack][Nova] Question regarding multiple network interfaces [In reply to]

If your eth0 (public interface) can access Internet, with the ip_forward
your instance should be able too...