Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

Virtual machines are not getting ip

tagliapietra.alessandro at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 12:25 AM

Virtual machines are not getting ip

Hello,

please help, this thing is getting me crazy. The vm starts fine but i get:

> cloud-init-nonet waiting 120 seconds for a network device.
> cloud-init-nonet gave up waiting for a network device.
> ci-info: lo : 1 127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 .
> ci-info: eth0 : 1 . . fa:16:3e:56:2c:9c
> route_info failed
> * Stopping Handle applying cloud-config[74G[ OK ]
> Waiting for network configuration...
> Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration...
> Booting system without full network configuration…

so no dhcp, but using tcpdump i see this output:

http://pastie.org/4369949

and it seems ok to me.
What else can be?

Best

wolfgang.hennerbichler at risc-software

Aug 1, 2012, 12:47 AM

Re: Virtual machines are not getting ip [In reply to]

On 08/01/2012 09:25 AM, Alessandro Tagliapietra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> please help, this thing is getting me crazy. The vm starts fine but i get:
>
>> cloud-init-nonet waiting 120 seconds for a network device.
>> cloud-init-nonet gave up waiting for a network device.
>> ci-info: lo : 1 127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 .
>> ci-info: eth0 : 1 . . fa:16:3e:56:2c:9c
>> route_info failed
>> * Stopping Handle applying cloud-config[74G[ OK ]
>> Waiting for network configuration...
>> Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration...
>> Booting system without full network configuration…
>

> so no dhcp, but using tcpdump i see this output:
>
> http://pastie.org/4369949
>
> and it seems ok to me.
> What else can be?

it's usually dnsmasq refusing about something. check /var/log/syslog on
ubuntu if that happens to be your host-OS.

> Best

DI (FH) Wolfgang Hennerbichler
Software Development
Unit Advanced Computing Technologies
RISC Software GmbH
A company of the Johannes Kepler University Linz

IT-Center
Softwarepark 35
4232 Hagenberg
Austria

Phone: +43 7236 3343 245
Fax: +43 7236 3343 250
wolfgang.hennerbichler [at] risc-software
http://www.risc-software.at

han.sebastien at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 1:01 AM

Re: Virtual machines are not getting ip [In reply to]

Are you using multi_host option?

What is your nova network manager?

More info about your setup could be useful...

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Alessandro Tagliapietra <
tagliapietra.alessandro [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> please help, this thing is getting me crazy. The vm starts fine but i get:
>
> > cloud-init-nonet waiting 120 seconds for a network device.
> > cloud-init-nonet gave up waiting for a network device.
> > ci-info: lo : 1 127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 .
> > ci-info: eth0 : 1 . . fa:16:3e:56:2c:9c
> > route_info failed
> > * Stopping Handle applying cloud-config[74G[ OK ]
> > Waiting for network configuration...
> > Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration...
> > Booting system without full network configuration…
>

> so no dhcp, but using tcpdump i see this output:
>
> http://pastie.org/4369949
>
> and it seems ok to me.
> What else can be?
>
> Best

tagliapietra.alessandro at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 2:20 AM

Re: Virtual machines are not getting ip [In reply to]

Il giorno 01/ago/2012, alle ore 10:01, Sébastien Han <han.sebastien [at] gmail> ha scritto:

> Are you using multi_host option?

Yes, on both nova.conf and network created with nova-manage

> What is your nova network manager?

I'm using nova.network.manager.FlatDHCPManager

> More info about your setup could be useful…

This is my nova.conf: http://pastie.org/4370363

Eth2 is a tun/tap device, bridged this way:

bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
br100 8000.ea5bece85e4e no eth2
vnet0
virbr0 8000.000000000000 yes

Btw, i've found the solution, this problem happens when using kernel > 3.2, i've updated to 3.4 and 3.5 from ubuntu ppa to get O_DIRECT in fuse and after the update the vm wasn't able to get the ip, switching back to mainline 3.2.0 kernel the vm is able to get the ip again.
Wondering what happens when ubuntu will update the kernel.

Best