Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

Bugs for Client libraries back to their own projects

thierry at openstack

Jun 29, 2012, 6:44 AM

Bugs for Client libraries back to their own projects

Hello everyone,

Once upon a time, each OpenStack client library was independent and had
its own project in Launchpad. Then when Core projects came to rely on
them, we pulled them in as "official projects" but since we didn't want
to create "Core projects" for each of them, we considered them "separate
deliverables for the parent core project". When we released "Nova" we
would release two tarballs. This resulted in client library tarballs
following the same versioning as the parent (server-side) project, the
same download pages in Launchpad, and by extension, the same Bugs pages.

So we transfered client bugs from their project ("python-novaclient") to
the parent project ("Nova") and used a tag to identify them. And we
taught people to use that. But we couldn't get rid of the client
projects in Launchpad, because Launchpad likes to have a project to link
specific source packages to. Confusion ensued.

The PPB decided recently to create a new category of projects, separate
from Core, called the Library projects. Client libraries are no longer
forced to follow versions and milestones from the corresponding server
project. And they are no longer forced to live in someone else's
apartment... so we can revert back to using their own project for bugs
and end the confusion.

So unless someone explains why we shouldn't do it, next week I'll start
the process of migrating back all bugs tagged "python-*client" from
their "parent" project to their own project.

Cheers and sorry again for this historical confusion, which I certainly
played a role in creating.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack

thierry at openstack

Jul 4, 2012, 3:46 AM

Re: Bugs for Client libraries back to their own projects [In reply to]

Thierry Carrez wrote:
> So unless someone explains why we shouldn't do it, next week I'll start
> the process of migrating back all bugs tagged "python-*client" from
> their "parent" project to their own project.

Bugs for client libraries are now available at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-novaclient
https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-glanceclient
https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-keystoneclient
https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-swiftclient
https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-quantumclient

You should no longer file them in the parent PROJECT with the
python-PROJECTclient tag.

Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack

chmouel at chmouel

Jul 4, 2012, 4:36 AM

Re: Bugs for Client libraries back to their own projects [In reply to]

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Thierry Carrez <thierry [at] openstack> wrote:
> Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> So unless someone explains why we shouldn't do it, next week I'll start
>> the process of migrating back all bugs tagged "python-*client" from
>> their "parent" project to their own project.
> Bugs for client libraries are now available at:

Any chances to move the blueprints as well?

Chmoue.

thierry at openstack

Jul 4, 2012, 5:46 AM

Re: Bugs for Client libraries back to their own projects [In reply to]

Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Thierry Carrez <thierry [at] openstack> wrote:
>> Thierry Carrez wrote:
>>> So unless someone explains why we shouldn't do it, next week I'll start
>>> the process of migrating back all bugs tagged "python-*client" from
>>> their "parent" project to their own project.
>> Bugs for client libraries are now available at:
>
> Any chances to move the blueprints as well?

Blueprints can (and should) be moved as well.. but there is no way to do
automatically identify the blueprints that are pure client stuff, so it
will be manual:

When you're on a blueprint you want to move, click "Re-target blueprint"
on the top right and select the python-PROJECTclient project.

Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack

chmouel at chmouel

Jul 4, 2012, 6:09 AM

Re: Bugs for Client libraries back to their own projects [In reply to]

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Thierry Carrez <thierry [at] openstack>wrote:

> Blueprints can (and should) be moved as well.. but there is no way to do
> automatically identify the blueprints that are pure client stuff, so it
> will be manual:
> When you're on a blueprint you want to move, click "Re-target blueprint"
> on the top right and select the python-PROJECTclient project.

That's only a PTL job right? any chances people from Core are able to do it
as well? There is much cleanup needed in Swift blueprint.

Chmouel.

thierry at openstack

Jul 4, 2012, 6:25 AM

Re: Bugs for Client libraries back to their own projects [In reply to]

Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Thierry Carrez <thierry [at] openstack
> <mailto:thierry [at] openstack>> wrote:
>
> Blueprints can (and should) be moved as well.. but there is no way to do
> automatically identify the blueprints that are pure client stuff, so it
> will be manual:
> When you're on a blueprint you want to move, click "Re-target blueprint"
> on the top right and select the python-PROJECTclient project.
>

> That's only a PTL job right? any chances people from Core are able to do
> it as well? There is much cleanup needed in Swift blueprint.

Owners of blueprints (creator, assignee, drafter) also can.
And anyone in the PROJECT-drivers group can.

Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack