Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

Router as a VM

neelugaddam at gmail

Jun 19, 2012, 8:58 PM

Router as a VM

Hi All,

I am trying multi node setup using openstack and quantum using devstack. My
understanding is that for every tenant, there is a gateway interface
created in the physical host and these will act as gateways for the
tenants. Is it possible to configure a VM as a gateway/router for a tenant
and how can we do this ?

Thanks in advance.

--
Thanks & Regards
Neelakantam Gaddam

dan at nicira

Jun 20, 2012, 6:21 AM

Re: Router as a VM [In reply to]

Hi Neelakantam,

The essex model for implementing gateway/router is that nova-network
creates these interfaces. It would be possible to run nova-network in a
VM, but that would be a single VM acting as a router for all tenants,
whereas my guess is that you want a per-tenant VM acting as a router.
There's no automated mechanism for doing that now, though in Folsom we
will be introducing a plugin model that would support a model where a
per-tenant router is created to be the gateway for each tenant. No one has
volunteered to do this work though, but I'd love it if someone was
interested.

Dan

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Neelakantam Gaddam
<neelugaddam [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying multi node setup using openstack and quantum using devstack.
> My understanding is that for every tenant, there is a gateway interface
> created in the physical host and these will act as gateways for the
> tenants. Is it possible to configure a VM as a gateway/router for a tenant
> and how can we do this ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> Thanks & Regards
> Neelakantam Gaddam

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com
twitter: danwendlandt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

neelugaddam at gmail

Jun 20, 2012, 9:18 PM

Re: Router as a VM [In reply to]

Hi Dan,

Can you point me to the brief instructions on how to run nova-network on a
VM and make it as a router?

Thanks
Neelakantam

--
Thanks & Regards
Neelakantam Gaddam

dan at nicira

Jun 21, 2012, 4:20 PM

Re: Router as a VM [In reply to]

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 6:18 AM, Neelakantam Gaddam
<neelugaddam [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Can you point me to the brief instructions on how to run nova-network on a
> VM and make it as a router?

Hi Neelakantam,

I was just referring to running nova-network in a linux VM using the same
instructions as installing nova-network on a bare-metal linux server. This
isn't very flexible though, and may not meet you needs depending on use
case (e.g., you can have different VMs being routers for different tenants).

In the Folsom-3 iteration, we will be working on an improved L3 model for
quantum that will be more flexible, enabling a model where all tenants use
a single linux device as their gateway, or a model where each tenant get
their own VM acting as a router (as well as other use cases).

Dan

--
Dan Wendlandt