Thanks!

jason

leandro.reox at gmail

Re: centos 6 images [In reply to]

Maybe this would help you:

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=87599

Regards

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:07 AM, Jason Ford <jason [at] chatinara> wrote:

> I am trying to put together an image for centos 6 that works like
> cloud-init on ubuntu does. Currently I have ssh keys getting imported but
> having some problems getting the disk to dynamically resize to the flavor
> template as well as the hostname set in horizon to be pushed into the
> image. Does anyone have any howtos or suggestions on how to get this done?
> Is there cloud-init for centos just like ubuntu? I would also be interested
> in how to do this with debian as well.
>
> Thanks!
>
> jason

P at draigBrady

Re: centos 6 images [In reply to]

On 05/22/2012 04:07 AM, Jason Ford wrote:
> I am trying to put together an image for centos 6 that works like cloud-init on ubuntu does. Currently I have ssh keys getting imported but having some problems getting the disk to dynamically resize to the flavor template as well as the hostname set in horizon to be pushed into the image. Does anyone have any howtos or suggestions on how to get this done? Is there cloud-init for centos just like ubuntu? I would also be interested in how to do this with debian as well.

Well I notice there is no cloud-init package for EPEL.
I took a quick stab at it here:
http://pbrady.fedorapeople.org/cloud-init-el6/

cheers,
Pádraig.

P at draigBrady

Re: centos 6 images [In reply to]

On 05/22/2012 03:39 PM, Andy Grimm wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Pádraig Brady <P [at] draigbrady> wrote:
>> On 05/22/2012 04:07 AM, Jason Ford wrote:
>>> I am trying to put together an image for centos 6 that works like cloud-init on ubuntu does. Currently I have ssh keys getting imported but having some problems getting the disk to dynamically resize to the flavor template as well as the hostname set in horizon to be pushed into the image. Does anyone have any howtos or suggestions on how to get this done? Is there cloud-init for centos just like ubuntu? I would also be interested in how to do this with debian as well.
>>
>> Well I notice there is no cloud-init package for EPEL.
>> I took a quick stab at it here:
>> http://pbrady.fedorapeople.org/cloud-init-el6/
>
> I've already responded in IRC, but it wouldn't hurt to have a response
> in the mail archive. In short, the reason there isn't already a
> cloud-init for EL6 (or EL5, for that matter) is that upstream has been
> using python 2.7-only calls for a while now. In particular, a couple
> of calls to subprocess.check_output need to be replaced, and I think
> there are a few other issues as well. I don't think it's a huge
> amount of work to make it functional, but it hasn't been high on
> anyone's list. It would be cool if you have time to fix / test it,
> though.

Ok I've fixed the check_output calls at the above URL.

cheers,
Pádraig.

smoser at ubuntu

Re: centos 6 images [In reply to]

On Tue, 22 May 2012, Pádraig Brady wrote:

> On 05/22/2012 03:39 PM, Andy Grimm wrote:
> >>
> >> Well I notice there is no cloud-init package for EPEL.
> >> I took a quick stab at it here:
> >> http://pbrady.fedorapeople.org/cloud-init-el6/
> >
> > I've already responded in IRC, but it wouldn't hurt to have a response
> > in the mail archive. In short, the reason there isn't already a
> > cloud-init for EL6 (or EL5, for that matter) is that upstream has been
> > using python 2.7-only calls for a while now. In particular, a couple
> > of calls to subprocess.check_output need to be replaced, and I think
> > there are a few other issues as well. I don't think it's a huge

It would help if you'd bring that up with upstream :)
I'm interested in cloud-init working in the most places it can. I'll try
to pull in the sysvinit scripts that Pádraig added and grab other changes
that are there.

> > amount of work to make it functional, but it hasn't been high on
> > anyone's list. It would be cool if you have time to fix / test it,
> > though.
>
> Ok I've fixed the check_output calls at the above URL.

If anyone has features / issues they'd like addressed in cloud-init,
please feel free to ping me (smoser). I'll most likely ask you to open a
bug at http://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-init , and may even invite you to
submit a patch. One way or another, though, I'm interested in making
cloud-init better, so comments/concerns/participation is welcome and
encouraged.

jason at chatinara

Re: centos 6 images [In reply to]

I will give these a shot later today and reply with feedback.

Thanks for looking into this!

Jason

On May 22, 2012, at 11:44 AM, Pádraig Brady <P [at] draigBrady> wrote:

> On 05/22/2012 03:39 PM, Andy Grimm wrote:
>>>
>>> Well I notice there is no cloud-init package for EPEL.
>>> I took a quick stab at it here:
>>> http://pbrady.fedorapeople.org/cloud-init-el6/
>>
>> I've already responded in IRC, but it wouldn't hurt to have a response
>> in the mail archive. In short, the reason there isn't already a
>> cloud-init for EL6 (or EL5, for that matter) is that upstream has been
>> using python 2.7-only calls for a while now. In particular, a couple
>> of calls to subprocess.check_output need to be replaced, and I think
>> there are a few other issues as well. I don't think it's a huge
>> amount of work to make it functional, but it hasn't been high on
>> anyone's list. It would be cool if you have time to fix / test it,
>> though.
>
> Ok I've fixed the check_output calls at the above URL.
>
> cheers,
> Pádraig.

P at draigBrady

Re: centos 6 images [In reply to]

On 05/22/2012 05:51 PM, Scott Moser wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2012, Pádraig Brady wrote:

>>> I've already responded in IRC, but it wouldn't hurt to have a response
>>> in the mail archive. In short, the reason there isn't already a
>>> cloud-init for EL6 (or EL5, for that matter) is that upstream has been
>>> using python 2.7-only calls for a while now. In particular, a couple
>>> of calls to subprocess.check_output need to be replaced, and I think
>>> there are a few other issues as well. I don't think it's a huge
>
> It would help if you'd bring that up with upstream :)
> I'm interested in cloud-init working in the most places it can. I'll try
> to pull in the sysvinit scripts that Pádraig added and grab other changes
> that are there.

Excellent.
I'll submit as much as I can upstream anyway after some more testing.

cheers,
Pádraig.

harlowja at yahoo-inc

Re: centos 6 images [In reply to]

U might want to check out,

https://github.com/yahoo/Openstack-Condense

Its a stripped down/cleaned up/... version of cloud-init that I know works on RHEL6.

I tried to improve the following:

1. Code cleanliness (constants being uppercase, paths using os.path.join and so-on)
2. Stripping out some of the odd handlers (byobu, right-scale and such)
3. Improving logging by a lot (so that u can debug this thing)
4. Making what handlers I left work on RH and ubuntu...

Might be useful if u want to try it.

I know just from doing the above work that the cloud-init for ubuntu, requires some work to get it to work on RH, but not tons, eventually I hope that I can merge this back, but for now its forked so that I could focus on getting it working and cleaned up, rather than pushing code through some review process via launchpad and such (ie the slow as molasses approach).

I will give these a shot later today and reply with feedback.

Thanks for looking into this!

Jason

On May 22, 2012, at 11:44 AM, Pádraig Brady <P [at] draigBrady> wrote:

> On 05/22/2012 03:39 PM, Andy Grimm wrote:
>>>
>>> Well I notice there is no cloud-init package for EPEL.
>>> I took a quick stab at it here:
>>> http://pbrady.fedorapeople.org/cloud-init-el6/
>>
>> I've already responded in IRC, but it wouldn't hurt to have a response
>> in the mail archive. In short, the reason there isn't already a
>> cloud-init for EL6 (or EL5, for that matter) is that upstream has been
>> using python 2.7-only calls for a while now. In particular, a couple
>> of calls to subprocess.check_output need to be replaced, and I think
>> there are a few other issues as well. I don't think it's a huge
>> amount of work to make it functional, but it hasn't been high on
>> anyone's list. It would be cool if you have time to fix / test it,
>> though.
>
> Ok I've fixed the check_output calls at the above URL.
>
> cheers,
> Pádraig.

jason at chatinara

Re: centos 6 images [In reply to]

Joshua,

Do you have some basic instructions on how to push this into an image and configure it? Any information about what you have here would be great!

jason

Its a stripped down/cleaned up/... version of cloud-init that I know works on RHEL6.

I tried to improve the following:

1. Code cleanliness (constants being uppercase, paths using os.path.join and so-on)
2. Stripping out some of the odd handlers (byobu, right-scale and such)
3. Improving logging by a lot (so that u can debug this thing)
4. Making what handlers I left work on RH and ubuntu...

Might be useful if u want to try it.

I know just from doing the above work that the cloud-init for ubuntu, requires some work to get it to work on RH, but not tons, eventually I hope that I can merge this back, but for now its forked so that I could focus on getting it working and cleaned up, rather than pushing code through some review process via launchpad and such (ie the slow as molasses approach).

I will give these a shot later today and reply with feedback.

Thanks for looking into this!

Jason

On May 22, 2012, at 11:44 AM, Pádraig Brady < P [at] draigBrady > wrote:

> On 05/22/2012 03:39 PM, Andy Grimm wrote:
>>>
>>> Well I notice there is no cloud-init package for EPEL.
>>> I took a quick stab at it here:
>>> http://pbrady.fedorapeople.org/cloud-init-el6/
>>
>> I've already responded in IRC, but it wouldn't hurt to have a response
>> in the mail archive. In short, the reason there isn't already a
>> cloud-init for EL6 (or EL5, for that matter) is that upstream has been
>> using python 2.7-only calls for a while now. In particular, a couple
>> of calls to subprocess.check_output need to be replaced, and I think
>> there are a few other issues as well. I don't think it's a huge
>> amount of work to make it functional, but it hasn't been high on
>> anyone's list. It would be cool if you have time to fix / test it,
>> though.
>
> Ok I've fixed the check_output calls at the above URL.
>
> cheers,
> Pádraig.

harlowja at yahoo-inc

Re: centos 6 images [In reply to]

Let me write something up that should explain this. Its not that hard.

Do you have some basic instructions on how to push this into an image and configure it? Any information about what you have here would be great!

jason

Its a stripped down/cleaned up/... version of cloud-init that I know works on RHEL6.

I tried to improve the following:

1. Code cleanliness (constants being uppercase, paths using os.path.join and so-on)
2. Stripping out some of the odd handlers (byobu, right-scale and such)
3. Improving logging by a lot (so that u can debug this thing)
4. Making what handlers I left work on RH and ubuntu...

Might be useful if u want to try it.

I know just from doing the above work that the cloud-init for ubuntu, requires some work to get it to work on RH, but not tons, eventually I hope that I can merge this back, but for now its forked so that I could focus on getting it working and cleaned up, rather than pushing code through some review process via launchpad and such (ie the slow as molasses approach).

I will give these a shot later today and reply with feedback.

Thanks for looking into this!

Jason

On May 22, 2012, at 11:44 AM, Pádraig Brady < P [at] draigBrady > wrote:

> On 05/22/2012 03:39 PM, Andy Grimm wrote:
>>>
>>> Well I notice there is no cloud-init package for EPEL.
>>> I took a quick stab at it here:
>>> http://pbrady.fedorapeople.org/cloud-init-el6/
>>
>> I've already responded in IRC, but it wouldn't hurt to have a response
>> in the mail archive. In short, the reason there isn't already a
>> cloud-init for EL6 (or EL5, for that matter) is that upstream has been
>> using python 2.7-only calls for a while now. In particular, a couple
>> of calls to subprocess.check_output need to be replaced, and I think
>> there are a few other issues as well. I don't think it's a huge
>> amount of work to make it functional, but it hasn't been high on
>> anyone's list. It would be cool if you have time to fix / test it,
>> though.
>
> Ok I've fixed the check_output calls at the above URL.
>
> cheers,
> Pádraig.

jason at chatinara

Re: centos 6 images [In reply to]

Scott,

If you need someone to test your changes, I would be happy to do it. Please just give me some basic instructions on how to put it in place and I will get it working.

As for your request for comments/features, personally I would like to see the following parts done initially:

- hostname set to instance name
- disk space resize to flavor size
- ssh-key pull
- report a random password for root user (or default user) if this is possible

Thanks for looking at this.

jason

Re: centos 6 images [In reply to]

On Tue, 22 May 2012, Jason Ford wrote:

> Scott,
>
> If you need someone to test your changes, I would be happy to do it. Please just give me some basic instructions on how to put it in place and I will get it working.
>
> As for your request for comments/features, personally I would like to see the following parts done initially:

I'm not sure of whether or not these things work in the status of these
things in fedora/RHEL. I suspect that all below is true other than
disk space resize. However, the following is true for ubuntu:

> - hostname set to instance name

- hostname is set to whatever is in local-hostname of the metadata
service. I think that actually does correlate to 'name' in the nova
launch api.

> - disk space resize to flavor size

- cloud-init runs resize2fs on the root partition on start up. However,
if you have a partition table on the disk, right now, that relies upon
initramfs code delivered in cloud-initramfs-growroot [1] to grow the
partition , and tell the kernel to re-read the partition while the
filesystem is not mounted (otherwise you have to reboot).

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cloud-initramfs-tools

> - ssh-key pull

- cloud-init does that by default to the default user and adds it to the
root user's .ssh/authorized_keys, with a message that says "you need to
login as <the-configured-user>"

> - report a random password for root user (or default user) if this is possible

- by default, cloud-init does not set a password for a user. However, it
can be told to via configuration (cloud-config in the image or passed
in via userdata). That looks like:
password: RANDOM
or
chpasswd:
list: |
user1:password1
user2:RANDOM
expire: True
There is more info at [2].

[2] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~cloud-init-dev/cloud-init/trunk/view/head:/doc/examples/cloud-config.txt

> Thanks for looking at this.
>
> jason

harlowja at yahoo-inc

Re: centos 6 images [In reply to]

Starting this @ https://github.com/yahoo/Openstack-Condense/wiki/How-To-Use-This

I'll try to finish it up soon :-P

Let me write something up that should explain this. Its not that hard.

Do you have some basic instructions on how to push this into an image and configure it? Any information about what you have here would be great!

jason

Its a stripped down/cleaned up/... version of cloud-init that I know works on RHEL6.

I tried to improve the following:

1. Code cleanliness (constants being uppercase, paths using os.path.join and so-on)
2. Stripping out some of the odd handlers (byobu, right-scale and such)
3. Improving logging by a lot (so that u can debug this thing)
4. Making what handlers I left work on RH and ubuntu...

Might be useful if u want to try it.

I know just from doing the above work that the cloud-init for ubuntu, requires some work to get it to work on RH, but not tons, eventually I hope that I can merge this back, but for now its forked so that I could focus on getting it working and cleaned up, rather than pushing code through some review process via launchpad and such (ie the slow as molasses approach).

I will give these a shot later today and reply with feedback.

Thanks for looking into this!

Jason

On May 22, 2012, at 11:44 AM, Pádraig Brady < P [at] draigBrady > wrote:

> On 05/22/2012 03:39 PM, Andy Grimm wrote:
>>>
>>> Well I notice there is no cloud-init package for EPEL.
>>> I took a quick stab at it here:
>>> http://pbrady.fedorapeople.org/cloud-init-el6/
>>
>> I've already responded in IRC, but it wouldn't hurt to have a response
>> in the mail archive. In short, the reason there isn't already a
>> cloud-init for EL6 (or EL5, for that matter) is that upstream has been
>> using python 2.7-only calls for a while now. In particular, a couple
>> of calls to subprocess.check_output need to be replaced, and I think
>> there are a few other issues as well. I don't think it's a huge
>> amount of work to make it functional, but it hasn't been high on
>> anyone's list. It would be cool if you have time to fix / test it,
>> though.
>
> Ok I've fixed the check_output calls at the above URL.
>
> cheers,
> Pádraig.

jason at chatinara

Re: centos 6 images [In reply to]

Joshua,

First off, thanks for getting something together.

I think you have a bug in your spec file at line 1. After that I got it to build after renaming some directories. I am in the process of testing this out now in a devstack install.

I will give you feedback when I get it.

jason

Let me write something up that should explain this. Its not that hard.

Do you have some basic instructions on how to push this into an image and configure it? Any information about what you have here would be great!

jason

Its a stripped down/cleaned up/... version of cloud-init that I know works on RHEL6.

I tried to improve the following:

1. Code cleanliness (constants being uppercase, paths using os.path.join and so-on)
2. Stripping out some of the odd handlers (byobu, right-scale and such)
3. Improving logging by a lot (so that u can debug this thing)
4. Making what handlers I left work on RH and ubuntu...

Might be useful if u want to try it.

I know just from doing the above work that the cloud-init for ubuntu, requires some work to get it to work on RH, but not tons, eventually I hope that I can merge this back, but for now its forked so that I could focus on getting it working and cleaned up, rather than pushing code through some review process via launchpad and such (ie the slow as molasses approach).

I will give these a shot later today and reply with feedback.

Thanks for looking into this!

Jason

On May 22, 2012, at 11:44 AM, Pádraig Brady < P [at] draigBrady > wrote:

> On 05/22/2012 03:39 PM, Andy Grimm wrote:
>>>
>>> Well I notice there is no cloud-init package for EPEL.
>>> I took a quick stab at it here:
>>> http://pbrady.fedorapeople.org/cloud-init-el6/
>>
>> I've already responded in IRC, but it wouldn't hurt to have a response
>> in the mail archive. In short, the reason there isn't already a
>> cloud-init for EL6 (or EL5, for that matter) is that upstream has been
>> using python 2.7-only calls for a while now. In particular, a couple
>> of calls to subprocess.check_output need to be replaced, and I think
>> there are a few other issues as well. I don't think it's a huge
>> amount of work to make it functional, but it hasn't been high on
>> anyone's list. It would be cool if you have time to fix / test it,
>> though.
>
> Ok I've fixed the check_output calls at the above URL.
>
> cheers,
> Pádraig.

harlowja at yahoo-inc