Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

[Nova] Blueprint and core cleanup

vishvananda at gmail

[Nova] Blueprint and core cleanup

Hello Everyone,

I've implemented both of the cleanups I mentioned last week. More info below.

Core Cleanup

Nova Core is now down to seventeen members. I want to take a minute to thank all of the core folks for the incredible work they have done over the last couple of years. Some of these people have moved on to other things, and I hope that they are equally successful in their new projects. There are others on the list that are simply too busy to review consistently, and may be returning to core-duty at some point. Normally a nova-core member needs to be recommended by an existing core member, but I'd like to propose an alternative method for former core members.

If a former core member has time to start participating in reviews again, i think he should be able to review for a couple of weeks or two and send an email to the list saying, "Hey, I've got time to review again, can I be added back in". If we don't here any -1 votes by other core members for three days we will bring them back. In other words, its former members can be accelerated back into core. Sound reasonable?

Blueprint Cleanup

As I mentioned in my previous email, I've now obsoleted all blueprints not targetted to folsom. The blueprint system has been used for "feature requests", and I don't think it is working because there is no one grabbing unassigned blueprints. I think it has to be up to the drafter of the blueprint to find a person/team to actually implement the blueprint or it will just sit there. Therefore I've removed all of the "good idea" blueprints. This was kind of sad, because there were some really good ideas there.

If I've inadvertently removed a blueprint of yours that is actually being worked on, please let me know and I will resurrect it and target it to folsom.

Unassigned Blueprints

There are still a few blueprints targetted to folsom[1] with no assignee. If there is anyone looking for important things to work on, that is a good place to start. Config Drive v2[2] is an important one, and so is db-threadpool[3]. Any takers?

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/folsom

[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/config-drive-v2

[3] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/db-threadpool

thierry at openstack

Re: [Nova] Blueprint and core cleanup [In reply to]

Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> *Core Cleanup*
> [...]
> If a former core member has time to start participating in reviews
> again, i think he should be able to review for a couple of weeks or two
> and send an email to the list saying, "Hey, I've got time to review
> again, can I be added back in". If we don't here any -1 votes by other
> core members for three days we will bring them back. In other words,
> its former members can be accelerated back into core. Sound reasonable?

Yes.

> *Blueprint Cleanup*
>
> As I mentioned in my previous email, I've now obsoleted all blueprints
> not targetted to folsom. The blueprint system has been used for "feature
> requests", and I don't think it is working because there is no one
> grabbing unassigned blueprints. I think it has to be up to the drafter
> of the blueprint to find a person/team to actually implement the
> blueprint or it will just sit there. Therefore I've removed all of the
> "good idea" blueprints. This was kind of sad, because there were some
> really good ideas there.

We discussed for quite some time that "wishlist" bugs that don't get
worked on for some time should be closed as "Opinion/Wishlist"... and
use that search to get a nice list of "things that sound like a good
idea but nobody has had time to work on". Maybe we should create
wishlist bugs for stuff on obsoleted blueprints, so that we have a
single place to look for abandoned good ideas ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack

lorin at nimbisservices

Re: [Nova] Blueprint and core cleanup [In reply to]

On May 18, 2012, at 5:33 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:

> Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
>> *Core Cleanup*
>> [...]
>> If a former core member has time to start participating in reviews
>> again, i think he should be able to review for a couple of weeks or two
>> and send an email to the list saying, "Hey, I've got time to review
>> again, can I be added back in". If we don't here any -1 votes by other
>> core members for three days we will bring them back. In other words,
>> its former members can be accelerated back into core. Sound reasonable?
>
> Yes.
>
>> *Blueprint Cleanup*
>>
>> As I mentioned in my previous email, I've now obsoleted all blueprints
>> not targetted to folsom. The blueprint system has been used for "feature
>> requests", and I don't think it is working because there is no one
>> grabbing unassigned blueprints. I think it has to be up to the drafter
>> of the blueprint to find a person/team to actually implement the
>> blueprint or it will just sit there. Therefore I've removed all of the
>> "good idea" blueprints. This was kind of sad, because there were some
>> really good ideas there.
>
> We discussed for quite some time that "wishlist" bugs that don't get
> worked on for some time should be closed as "Opinion/Wishlist"... and
> use that search to get a nice list of "things that sound like a good
> idea but nobody has had time to work on". Maybe we should create
> wishlist bugs for stuff on obsoleted blueprints, so that we have a
> single place to look for abandoned good ideas ?
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)
> Release Manager, OpenStack

+1

I think this is a great idea. There was definitely some good ideas in some of those obsoleted blueprints and I'd hate for us to lose track of them simply because the project doesn't currently have the resources to tackle them.

Take care,

Lorin
--
Lorin Hochstein