Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

Re: [Infra] Mailing-list split

duncan at dreamhost

Re: [Infra] Mailing-list split

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM, James E. Blair <corvus [at] inaugust> wrote:
> Duncan McGreggor <duncan [at] dreamhost> writes:
>
>> I want to wait on creating openstack-dev until we've got Exim setup
>> properly. Someone else will need to do that. I'm not sure if the
>> mailman Ubuntu package updates Exim properly, and I wouldn't know
>> where to look to check :-/
>
> Take a look at this:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/7319/

It's merged now! Thanks, guys :-)

> Once it's merged, you (or anyone else) can make changes to the mailman
> config by proposing patches to that repo.

Nice. I'm asking you about this on IRC right now :-)

> The Exim config will automatically handle new lists (no aliases or any
> config changes need to happen after running the newlist command).
>
> That change enables VERP, but has Exim generate the VERP addresses for
> efficiency.
>
>> We need to talk about migrating data:
>>  * from the old host to the new one
>>  * from LP archives (don't know if that's possible)
>
> Do you have access to the old host?
>
> I believe Stef knows who to ask to get archives from LP.
>
>> We need to figure out DNS, and see what we can do about testing the
>> lists/Exim with just the IP address/temp CNAME/etc ...
>
> Let me know if you want a temporary alternate A/CNAME record.  You'll
> notice the exim/mailman config has that as a parameter, so it'll be easy
> for us to change it back.

Yeah, let's to a temporary CNAME (actually, maybe A is better?
lists.openstack.org points elsewhere...).

How about stagelists.openstack.org?

> We will be able to set the reverse dns for the IP correctly.
>
> And when it comes time for the move, we can set the ttl to 300 and make
> the change for the A record.

Nice! Thanks, Jim!

> -Jim

duncan at dreamhost

Re: [Infra] Mailing-list split [In reply to]

Oh, one more thing:

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM, James E. Blair <corvus [at] inaugust> wrote:
> Duncan McGreggor <duncan [at] dreamhost> writes:

[snip]

>> We need to talk about migrating data:
>>  * from the old host to the new one
>>  * from LP archives (don't know if that's possible)
>
> Do you have access to the old host?
>
> I believe Stef knows who to ask to get archives from LP.

Yeah, Stef and Ant are working on that.

I'm thinking we shouldn't copy the archives until we've actually made
the switch, so that we don't miss any messages that might have made it
to the old lists in the interim...