Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev
[metering] Do we need an API and storage?

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

francis.lacoste at canonical

[metering] Do we need an API and storage?

Hi,

The whole API discussion made me wondered if this part of the
architecture is worth keeping.

The main use case for the metering API is so that billing systems can be
integrated in OpenStack. We have the assumption that any billing system
will need an integation layer. I think this is a fair assumption.

But at the same time, we are forcing the integration to be made around a
polling model. From time to time, poll the metering API to create
billing artefacts.

I'm now of the opinion that we exclude storage and API from the metering
project scope. Let's just focus on defining a metering message format,
bus, and maybe a client-library to make it easy to write metering consumers.

That way we avoid building a lot of things that we only _think will be
useful_ for potential billing integration. Only writing/delivering such
an integration component would prove that we built at least something
that is useful.

Cheers

--
Francis J. Lacoste