Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev
Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

mucawhite at gmail

Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver [In reply to]

Il 10/05/2012 16:08, Alvaro Lopez ha scritto:
> On Thu 10 May 2012 (15:17), Muriel wrote:
>> Great! But there is a reason if are you using /proc/meminfo instead
>> of getInfo when calculating the memory used?
>> You know if there is a way to get, using libvirt, the reserved
>> memory for dom0? Or the only solution is to read the configuration
>> file of xen?
> I calculated the memory looking into /proc/meminfo because if the memory
> is not limited (i.e. no dom0_mem option) the dom0 might take all the
> memory available, that then will be ballooned out. For example, in a
> machine with 16GB RAM you could have:
>
> # xm li
> Name ID Mem VCPUs State Time(s)
> Domain-0 0 15030 8 r----- 1312.8
>
> If you query libvirt for the dom0 mem, the free memory will be around
> 1GB, but you can create a machine with more RAM (since ballooning is
> enabled):
>
> # xm li
> Name ID Mem VCPUs State Time(s)
> Domain-0 0 9188 8 r----- 1328.6
> test 4 7000 4 -b---- 3.5
>
> If the dom0 memory is fixed and ballooning is disabled, then yes, you
> can query libvirt directly.
>
> Regards,
Thank you for remarking this point, sometimes I forget the balooning
system :).
I messed up the question: if you consider the case where the memory is
limited (dom0_mem) the value of MemTotal in meminfo is wrong. Do you
think it makes sense to take the total memory value from libvirt and
from meminfo the rest?
Thus it should work in both cases.

Thanks,
M.

Subject User Time
Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver jfehlig at suse May 9, 2012, 10:08 PM
    Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver berrange at redhat May 10, 2012, 1:06 AM
        Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver berrange at redhat May 10, 2012, 1:56 AM
            Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver vishvananda at gmail May 10, 2012, 10:17 AM
                Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver jfehlig at suse May 10, 2012, 12:50 PM
    Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver mucawhite at gmail May 10, 2012, 1:41 AM
    Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver aloga at ifca May 10, 2012, 2:48 AM
        Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver mucawhite at gmail May 10, 2012, 6:17 AM
            Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver berrange at redhat May 10, 2012, 6:41 AM
    Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver aloga at ifca May 10, 2012, 7:08 AM
        Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver mucawhite at gmail May 10, 2012, 8:33 AM
    Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver aloga at ifca May 10, 2012, 8:49 AM
    Re: Improving Xen support in the libvirt driver vishvananda at gmail May 10, 2012, 10:20 AM