Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

Instance IP assignment problem

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All OpenStack dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

salmanmk at live

Instance IP assignment problem

Hi Guys,

Can anyone provide any insight to the following question:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nova/+question/195439

Thanks,
Salman

jorge.delacruz at stackops

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Im not really sure but you are using range for your environment 10.0.3.x
and 10.0.0.x for fixed.
Can you attach a nova network conf?

Regards
El 01/05/2012 18:56, "Salman Malik" <salmanmk [at] live> escribió:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Can anyone provide any insight to the following question:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/nova/+question/195439
>
> Thanks,
> Salman

salmanmk at live

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for looking into the post.
I have made changes to the nova.conf file so that I only use 10.0.0.x network (but the problem is still the same). For this configuration, I assume that it will give out IPs to instances starting from 10.0.0.11. And just to inform you, my eth1 is configured to be 10.0.0.10 (which is a VM itself, and eth1 is configured as a host-only network with no DHCP) and this interface is plugged in the integration bridge used by quantum plugins.

Thanks,
Salman

PS: Error log of a launched instance is also attached.

Im not really sure but you are using range for your environment 10.0.3.x and 10.0.0.x for fixed.

Can you attach a nova network conf?
Regards
Can anyone provide any insight to the following question:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nova/+question/195439

Thanks,
Salman

Attachments: Error_log (24.8 KB)
  nova.conf (1.49 KB)

emilien.openstack at gmail

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Hi,

I have a similar problem when I create a network per project_id with
Quantum.

My VMs don't get IP and I can't understand why today.

But when I create a private network for all projects, VMs get an IP and
all is working well.
Do you have the same problem ?

Salman, I'm interesting about your nova.conf. I can see you are using
Ryu ?
Can you tell me more about your "use case" or architecture ?

Thanks

Le mardi 01 mai 2012 à 12:28 -0500, Salman Malik a écrit :
> Hi Jorge,
>
> Thanks for looking into the post.
> I have made changes to the nova.conf file so that I only use 10.0.0.x
> network (but the problem is still the same). For this configuration, I
> assume that it will give out IPs to instances starting from 10.0.0.11.
> And just to inform you, my eth1 is configured to be 10.0.0.10 (which
> is a VM itself, and eth1 is configured as a host-only network with no
> DHCP) and this interface is plugged in the integration bridge used by
> quantum plugins.
>
> Thanks,
> Salman
>
> PS: Error log of a launched instance is also attached.

> Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 19:03:49 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Openstack] Instance IP assignment problem
> From: jorge.delacruz [at] stackops
> To: salmanmk [at] live
> CC: openstack [at] lists
>
> Im not really sure but you are using range for your environment
> 10.0.3.x and 10.0.0.x for fixed.
> Can you attach a nova network conf?
> Regards
>
> El 01/05/2012 18:56, "Salman Malik" <salmanmk [at] live> escribió:
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Can anyone provide any insight to the following question:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/nova/+question/195439
>
> Thanks,
> Salman

jorge.delacruz at stackops

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Hi Emilien and Salman,
Please, could you upload all the files, errors and conf in pastebin or
something like that?
I have troubles to open in phone :)

Thank you
El 01/05/2012 20:39, "Emilien Macchi" <emilien.openstack [at] gmail>
escribió:

> **
> Hi,
>

> I have a similar problem when I create a network per project_id with
> Quantum.
>

> My VMs don't get IP and I can't understand why today.
>
> But when I create a private network for all projects, VMs get an IP and
> all is working well.
> Do you have the same problem ?
>

> Salman, I'm interesting about your nova.conf. I can see you are using Ryu ?
> Can you tell me more about your "use case" or architecture ?
>

> Thanks
>

> Le mardi 01 mai 2012 à 12:28 -0500, Salman Malik a écrit :
>
> Hi Jorge,
>
> Thanks for looking into the post.
> I have made changes to the nova.conf file so that I only use 10.0.0.x
> network (but the problem is still the same). For this configuration, I
> assume that it will give out IPs to instances starting from 10.0.0.11. And
> just to inform you, my eth1 is configured to be 10.0.0.10 (which is a VM
> itself, and eth1 is configured as a host-only network with no DHCP) and
> this interface is plugged in the integration bridge used by quantum plugins.
>
> Thanks,
> Salman
>
> PS: Error log of a launched instance is also attached.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 19:03:49 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Openstack] Instance IP assignment problem
> From: jorge.delacruz [at] stackops
> To: salmanmk [at] live
> CC: openstack [at] lists
>
> Im not really sure but you are using range for your environment 10.0.3.x
> and 10.0.0.x for fixed.
> Can you attach a nova network conf?
> Regards
>
> El 01/05/2012 18:56, "Salman Malik" <salmanmk [at] live> escribió:
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Can anyone provide any insight to the following question:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/nova/+question/195439
>
> Thanks,
> Salman

salmanmk at live

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Hi,

Here is the error log: http://pastebin.com/KrNZDrvD
and nova.conf: http://pastebin.com/Fvd6dSZs

Emilien, I am trying to get an understanding of how different Quantum plugins work with OpenStack. Ryu plugin is particularly interesting as it uses an OpenFlow controller to configure Vswitches.

The problem I am faced with is (I think ) that I already have a private network and Quantum should assign IP addresses to instances using DHCP. But instances send out discover message on laucnh but never find a DHCP server (although there are 2 dnsmasqs running).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Salman

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Hi Salman,

I'm thinking about a networking issue. Where is your L3 gateway in this
architecture ? Maybe do you need an ip helper tool to redirect DHCP
broadcast ?

What do you think about my problem (follow up to my last e-mail) ?

Thanks

Emilien

salmanmk at live

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Regarding L3 gateway, I believe its not necessary to have one (as the VM hasn't obtained an IP right now, so it can't talk to anything outside its net), but I am not sure.
Regarding your problem, do you see any DHCP responses from the DHCP server ? I am asking this because I was having a similar problem earlier where I was getting assigned an IP address no in my desired fixed_network and I believe that was cause by another interfering DHCP server that was replying to discover messages before the nova-network could.

Salman

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Le mardi 01 mai 2012 à 14:22 -0500, Salman Malik a écrit :
> Regarding L3 gateway, I believe its not necessary to have one (as the
> VM hasn't obtained an IP right now, so it can't talk to anything
> outside its net), but I am not sure.
> Regarding your problem, do you see any DHCP responses from the DHCP
> server ? I am asking this because I was having a similar problem
> earlier where I was getting assigned an IP address no in my desired
> fixed_network and I believe that was cause by another interfering DHCP
> server that was replying to discover messages before the nova-network
> could.

Here my nova.conf and I don't have any interfering DHCP server :

https://github.com/EmilienM/doc-openstack/blob/master/Configuration%
20Files/Essex-1/nova.conf

Thanks

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Hi,
In your conf Dalman I dont see a routing_sourceip and in Emilien's cong yes.

Try with this parameter.

salmanmk at live

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

It may help if you can share the log of your launched instance as well. There is a possibility that we both are having the same issue.
Netstack developers can give a definitive answer to this, but it would be interesting to learn what goes wrong with a launched instance.

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Hi Jorge,

I tried the parameter but to no avail. Also this post (https://answers.launchpad.net/nova/+question/148445) says that it defaults to my_ip if not specified.
Any other thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Salman

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Salman Malik <salmanmk [at] live> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is the error log: http://pastebin.com/KrNZDrvD
> and nova.conf: http://pastebin.com/Fvd6dSZs
>
> Emilien, I am trying to get an understanding of how different Quantum
> plugins work with OpenStack. Ryu plugin is particularly interesting as it
> uses an OpenFlow controller to configure Vswitches.
>
> The problem I am faced with is (I think ) that I already have a private
> network and Quantum should assign IP addresses to instances using DHCP. But
> instances send out discover message on laucnh but never find a DHCP server
> (although there are 2 dnsmasqs running).

I would first try this out with something like the OVS plugin
(which incidentally uses OpenFlow as wel). This is a pretty commonly used
configuration, and will help determine if the problem is in your
configuration, or the Ryu plugin in particular.

I would also try and see if dnsmasq is actually getting the request and
sending a reply. You should be able to tcpdump on the linux device that
dnsmasq is bound to (should start with gw-*). Alternately, you could look
in /var/log/syslog (i think?) to see if dnsmasq if logging that is
correctly receiving the DHCP requests.

Dan

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Salman
>

> ------------------------------
> Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 20:43:44 +0200
>
> Subject: Re: [Openstack] Instance IP assignment problem
> From: jorge.delacruz [at] stackops
> To: emilien.openstack [at] gmail
> CC: openstack [at] lists; salmanmk [at] live
>

> Hi Emilien and Salman,
> Please, could you upload all the files, errors and conf in pastebin or
> something like that?
> I have troubles to open in phone :)
> Thank you
> El 01/05/2012 20:39, "Emilien Macchi" <emilien.openstack [at] gmail>
> escribió:
>
> **
> Hi,
>

> I have a similar problem when I create a network per project_id with
> Quantum.
>

> My VMs don't get IP and I can't understand why today.
>
> But when I create a private network for all projects, VMs get an IP and
> all is working well.
> Do you have the same problem ?
>

> Salman, I'm interesting about your nova.conf. I can see you are using Ryu ?
> Can you tell me more about your "use case" or architecture ?
>

> Thanks
>

> Le mardi 01 mai 2012 à 12:28 -0500, Salman Malik a écrit :
>
> Hi Jorge,
>
> Thanks for looking into the post.
> I have made changes to the nova.conf file so that I only use 10.0.0.x
> network (but the problem is still the same). For this configuration, I
> assume that it will give out IPs to instances starting from 10.0.0.11. And
> just to inform you, my eth1 is configured to be 10.0.0.10 (which is a VM
> itself, and eth1 is configured as a host-only network with no DHCP) and
> this interface is plugged in the integration bridge used by quantum plugins.
>
> Thanks,
> Salman
>
> PS: Error log of a launched instance is also attached.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 19:03:49 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Openstack] Instance IP assignment problem
> From: jorge.delacruz [at] stackops
> To: salmanmk [at] live
> CC: openstack [at] lists
>
> Im not really sure but you are using range for your environment 10.0.3.x
> and 10.0.0.x for fixed.
> Can you attach a nova network conf?
> Regards
>
> El 01/05/2012 18:56, "Salman Malik" <salmanmk [at] live> escribió:
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Can anyone provide any insight to the following question:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/nova/+question/195439
>
> Thanks,
> Salman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com
twitter: danwendlandt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

salmanmk at live

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for the reply. Instances were getting IP addresses when I used the fake plugin (I haven't tried it with OVS plugin i think). Anyway, I did dig into the problem. It seems that the Ryu is dropping the DHCP requests. Here is the output that I got by ovs-ofctl snoop br-int:
OFPT_FLOW_MOD (xid=0x463fc2e): ADD in_port=1,dl_src=08:00:27:00:08:0e,dl_dst=01:00:5e:7f:ff:fa flags:0x1 actions=drop
OFPT_PACKET_OUT (xid=0x463fc2f): in_port=1 actions_len=0 actions=drop buffer=0x00000b61
OFPT_ECHO_REQUEST (xid=0x0): 0 bytes of payload
OFPT_ECHO_REPLY (xid=0x0): 0 bytes of payload
OFPT_PACKET_IN (xid=0x0): total_len=90 in_port=33 data_len=90 buffer=0x00000b62
tunnel0:in_port0021:tci(0) macfa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2->33:33:00:00:00:16 type86dd proto58 tos0 ipv6::->ff02::16 port143->0
fa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2 > 33:33:00:00:00:16, ethertype IPv6 (0x86dd), length 90: :: > ff02::16: HBH ICMP6, multicast listener report v2, 1 group record(s), length 28
OFPT_PACKET_OUT (xid=0x463fc30): in_port=33 actions_len=0 actions=drop buffer=0x00000b62
OFPT_PACKET_IN (xid=0x0): total_len=322 in_port=33 data_len=128 buffer=0x00000b63
tunnel0:in_port0021:tci(0) macfa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2->ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff type0800 proto17 tos0 ip0.0.0.0->255.255.255.255 port68->67
fa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2 > ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, ethertype IPv4 (0x0800), length 128: truncated-ip - 194 bytes missing! 0.0.0.0.68 > 255.255.255.255.67: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from fa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2, length 280
OFPT_PACKET_OUT (xid=0x463fc31): in_port=33 actions_len=0 actions=drop buffer=0x00000b63
OFPT_PACKET_IN (xid=0x0): total_len=78 in_port=33 data_len=78 buffer=0x00000b64
tunnel0:in_port0021:tci(0) macfa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2->33:33:ff:6f:5f:c2 type86dd proto58 tos0 ipv6::->ff02::1:ff6f:5fc2 port135->0
fa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2 > 33:33:ff:6f:5f:c2, ethertype IPv6 (0x86dd), length 78: :: > ff02::1:ff6f:5fc2: ICMP6, neighbor solicitation, who has fe80::f816:3eff:fe6f:5fc2, length 24
OFPT_PACKET_OUT (xid=0x463fc32): in_port=33 actions_len=0 actions=drop buffer=0x00000b64
OFPT_PACKET_IN (xid=0x0): total_len=70 in_port=33 data_len=70 buffer=0x00000b65
tunnel0:in_port0021:tci(0) macfa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2->33:33:00:00:00:02 type86dd proto58 tos0 ipv6fe80::f816:3eff:fe6f:5fc2->ff02::2 port133->0
fa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2 > 33:33:00:00:00:02, ethertype IPv6 (0x86dd), length 70: fe80::f816:3eff:fe6f:5fc2 > ff02::2: ICMP6, router solicitation, length 16
OFPT_PACKET_OUT (xid=0x463fc33): in_port=33 actions_len=0 actions=drop buffer=0x00000b65
OFPT_PACKET_IN (xid=0x0): total_len=322 in_port=33 data_len=128 buffer=0x00000b66
tunnel0:in_port0021:tci(0) macfa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2->ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff type0800 proto17 tos0 ip0.0.0.0->255.255.255.255 port68->67
fa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2 > ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, ethertype IPv4 (0x0800), length 128: truncated-ip - 194 bytes missing! 0.0.0.0.68 > 255.255.255.255.67: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from fa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2, length 280
OFPT_PACKET_OUT (xid=0x463fc34): in_port=33 actions_len=0 actions=drop buffer=0x00000b66
OFPT_PACKET_IN (xid=0x0): total_len=90 in_port=33 data_len=90 buffer=0x00000b67
tunnel0:in_port0021:tci(0) macfa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2->33:33:00:00:00:16 type86dd proto58 tos0 ipv6fe80::f816:3eff:fe6f:5fc2->ff02::16 port143->0
fa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2 > 33:33:00:00:00:16, ethertype IPv6 (0x86dd), length 90: fe80::f816:3eff:fe6f:5fc2 > ff02::16: HBH ICMP6, multicast listener report v2, 1 group record(s), length 28
OFPT_PACKET_OUT (xid=0x463fc35): in_port=33 actions_len=0 actions=drop buffer=0x00000b67
OFPT_PACKET_IN (xid=0x0): total_len=70 in_port=33 data_len=70 buffer=0x00000b68
tunnel0:in_port0021:tci(0) macfa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2->33:33:00:00:00:02 type86dd proto58 tos0 ipv6fe80::f816:3eff:fe6f:5fc2->ff02::2 port133->0
fa:16:3e:6f:5f:c2 > 33:33:00:00:00:02, ethertype IPv6 (0x86dd), length 70: fe80::f816:3eff:fe6f:5fc2 > ff02::2: ICMP6, router solicitation, length 16
OFPT_PACKET_OUT (xid=0x463fc36): in_port=33 actions_len=0 actions=drop buffer=0x00000b68

Here is the output of brctl show br-int:
OFPT_FEATURES_REPLY (xid=0x1): ver:0x1, dpid:000008002716d509
n_tables:1, n_buffers:256
features: capabilities:0x87, actions:0xfff
1(eth1): addr:08:00:27:16:d5:09
config: 0
state: 0
current: 1GB-FD COPPER AUTO_NEG
advertised: 10MB-HD 10MB-FD 100MB-HD 100MB-FD 1GB-FD COPPER AUTO_NEG
supported: 10MB-HD 10MB-FD 100MB-HD 100MB-FD 1GB-FD COPPER AUTO_NEG
2(gw-f3eda887-fd): addr:fa:16:3e:28:e2:1b
config: 0
state: 0
33(tap66377ec5-bb): addr:96:3e:0d:2d:68:23
config: 0
state: 0
current: 10MB-FD COPPER
LOCAL(br-int): addr:08:00:27:16:d5:09
config: PORT_DOWN
state: LINK_DOWN
OFPT_GET_CONFIG_REPLY (xid=0x3): frags=normal miss_send_len=0
and yes, I was unable to get messages on gw-* interface.

How can I resolve this problem ?

Thanks,
Salman

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Salman Malik <salmanmk [at] live> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Thank you so much for the reply. Instances were getting IP addresses when
> I used the fake plugin (I haven't tried it with OVS plugin i think).
> Anyway, I did dig into the problem. It seems that the Ryu is dropping the
> DHCP requests. Here is the output that I got by ovs-ofctl snoop br-int:

Ok, I've never actually used the Ryu plugin. Hopefully the ryu plugin
developer is on the list and can help you investigate this.

dan

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan Wendlandt

emilien.openstack at gmail

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Hi,

As I told you, I have also a problem for instance IP assignement.

My architecture :

I use Quantum with OVS plugin on 2 servers Essex-1 & Essex-2. Essex-1
runs all services and Essex-2 runs OVS, Quantum-agent & nova-compute
only.

You can see more details here.

My configurations files are here and in my documentation.

Problem Description :

When an instance is created in ESSEX-1, all is working (network).

But when the VM is started on ESSEX-2, it does not get an IP address.
(log file)

I'm sure the problem comes from OVS connection with ESSEX-1.

Do I need to configure something like a trunk or a tunnel between
Essex-1 & Essex-2 ?

I miss something in my configuration, if you have any idea...

Regards

Emilien

Le mardi 01 mai 2012 à 14:35 -0500, Salman Malik a écrit :
> [...]
> Please, could you upload all the files, errors and
> conf in pastebin or something like that?
> I have troubles to open in phone :)
> Thank you
> El 01/05/2012 20:39, "Emilien Macchi"
> <emilien.openstack [at] gmail> escribió:
>
> Hi,
>

> I have a similar problem when I create a
> network per project_id with Quantum.
>

> My VMs don't get IP and I can't understand why
> today.
>
> But when I create a private network for all
> projects, VMs get an IP and all is working
> well.
> Do you have the same problem ?
>

> Salman, I'm interesting about your nova.conf.
> I can see you are using Ryu ?
> Can you tell me more about your "use case" or
> architecture ?
>

> Thanks
>

> Le mardi 01 mai 2012 à 12:28 -0500, Salman

skible at hotmail

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Fixed IP

Re: Instance IP assignment problem [In reply to]

Then the problem isn't in the instance but in the nova-network service , please check if it is working well as well as give us the output log when you attempt to create a new instance.

CC: salmanmk [at] live; openstack [at] lists
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 10:21:37 +0200

Fixed IP