Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

openstack.common setup code

mordred at inaugust

openstack.common setup code

Hey guys,

Quick follow up from the summit on things that should happen in projects
from the setup module of openstack common as I understand it. (to make
sure we're all on the same page)

There are currently 5 essential things in openstack.common.setup:

parse_requirements
parse_dependency_links
write_requirements
write_git_changelog
generate_authors

that are being used to varying levels in the various projects. What
should happen at this point is this:

parse_requirements
parse_dependency_links

Should be in all of the client libraries and should be removed from all
the not-client libraries. These are essential for pip installation of
client libs (which is important) as they allow pip to follow the
depends. The make things hard for non-client libs, as setuptools doesn't
understand git urls, which we use in non-client lib pip-requires files.

write_requirements

Should die everywhere. It was an attempt to record in our tarballs the
state of what was actually tested ... but did not actually provide
benefit to anyone - and the distros hate it.

write_git_changelog
generate_authors

Should be added/used everywhere. When generate_authors is added, unit
tests testing authors content should be removed.

Is this how everyone else understood the outcome of conversations at the
summit too?

Thanks!
Monty

chuck.short at canonical

Re: openstack.common setup code [In reply to]

Hi,

write_changelogs is really important to a distro point of view because
we ship snapshots of trunk during our development cycle so informing
the users whats in the snapshot is really important.

chuck