Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

Pending reviews

mandarvaze at gmail

Pending reviews

It would be great if someone can spare some time to have a look at these :

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/6451/ : I've addressed comments from
first review cycle - Second patch set needs to be reviewed and
approved

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/6452/ : Brad Hall reviewed - But more
review and/or approval needed.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/6076/ : Chuck Short and Kevin
Mitchell said "Looks good" - But approval still needed.

Thanks !!!
-Mandar

michael.still at canonical

Re: Pending reviews [In reply to]

On 26/04/12 02:28, Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे wrote:
> It would be great if someone can spare some time to have a look at these :
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/6451/ : I've addressed comments from
> first review cycle - Second patch set needs to be reviewed and
> approved
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/6452/ : Brad Hall reviewed - But more
> review and/or approval needed.
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/6076/ : Chuck Short and Kevin
> Mitchell said "Looks good" - But approval still needed.

I'm in the same state, with many reviews which need eyeballs.

Mikal

rbryant at redhat

Re: Pending reviews [In reply to]

On 04/26/2012 04:49 AM, Michael Still wrote:
> On 26/04/12 02:28, Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे wrote:
>> It would be great if someone can spare some time to have a look at these :
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/6451/ : I've addressed comments from
>> first review cycle - Second patch set needs to be reviewed and
>> approved
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/6452/ : Brad Hall reviewed - But more
>> review and/or approval needed.
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/6076/ : Chuck Short and Kevin
>> Mitchell said "Looks good" - But approval still needed.
>
> I'm in the same state, with many reviews which need eyeballs.

There's something like 7 pages of open reviews on gerrit. The project
has a good kind of problem with so many people trying to contribute.
The question now is how to scale the development processes to handle
that growth.

It was nice to see a number of discussions at the summit in this area.
The biggest backlog is nova, and there are discussions of both splitting
parts out to make nova smaller, as well as adopting feature branches and
merge windows. The feature branches could have more reviewers that are
experts in that area, but not necessarily nova-core. Hopefully these
things will help in the Folsom cycle.

Thanks to all of the core reviewers who regularly invest time into
reviewing submissions! :-)

--
Russell Bryant

eglynn at redhat

Re: Pending reviews [In reply to]

> There's something like 7 pages of open reviews on gerrit. The project
> has a good kind of problem with so many people trying to contribute.
> The question now is how to scale the development processes to handle
> that growth.
>
> It was nice to see a number of discussions at the summit in this area.
> The biggest backlog is nova, and there are discussions of both splitting
> parts out to make nova smaller, as well as adopting feature branches and
> merge windows. The feature branches could have more reviewers that are
> experts in that area, but not necessarily nova-core. Hopefully these
> things will help in the Folsom cycle.
>
> Thanks to all of the core reviewers who regularly invest time into
> reviewing submissions! :-)

Some simple processes that I've seen improve matters on seemingly
unmanagable backlogs:

1. An initial short & concerted queue draining exercise (e.g. a
review-busting day where all core team members agree to dedicate
a significant portion of their openstack time to reviews).

The intended outcome is a much leaner queue as a starting point
(at the cost of potential instability with many more patches
landing on master than would normally be the case, so it makes
sense to do this early in the release cycle).

2. Prominent visibility to a number of simple stats that capture the
trend on responsiveness:

- age of the oldest unreviewed patch
- average turnaround time from submission to merge or -2
- number of open unreviewed patches
- number of reviewed patches needing approval

There would an implicit goal not to leave the stats in worse shape
than yesterday at the end of each core-team members' rostered review
day.

3. A "loose" SLA indicating the level of responsiveness that patch
submitters can expect, e.g. "we strive to respond within X working
days, average turnaround time is currently Y days".

4. If things get out of hand again GOTO #1.

thierry at openstack

Re: Pending reviews [In reply to]

Russell Bryant wrote:
> It was nice to see a number of discussions at the summit in this area.
> The biggest backlog is nova, and there are discussions of both splitting
> parts out to make nova smaller, as well as adopting feature branches and
> merge windows. The feature branches could have more reviewers that are
> experts in that area, but not necessarily nova-core. Hopefully these
> things will help in the Folsom cycle.

I suspect the backlog in linked to the design summit and people taking
time off the week after. It should be gradually absorbed in the
following days.

The long-term solution is indeed smaller groups of topic-experts
reviewers being responsible for a smaller batch of reviews. In the short
term, we might review nova-core membership to make sure it still matches
people who can actually regularly commit time to the review duty.

Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack