Thanks!

Salman

heut2008 at gmail

Re: nova.conf query [In reply to]

devstack runs all nova services in a screen backgroud.you can sudo
stack,then screen -S stack,you can see all services here.what you
need do is change the nova.conf then stop the releative services,then
start it again.

2012/4/16 Salman Malik <salmanmk [at] live>:
> Hi All,
>
> A quick question regarding nova.conf: How can I modify nova.conf and get it
> to work with devstack. The problem that I am facing is after modifying
> nova.conf, I have to reboot so as to restart services. But when I reboot,
> devstack needs to be reinstalled all over again using stack.sh and in the
> process it rewrites /etc/nova/nova.conf.
>
> Also according to documentation we can set flags in nova.conf using
> --<flag_name>=<flag_value> format. Is that an obsolete format ? (because the
> nova.conf that devstack creates don't have any -- in it).
>
> Please let me know how to effectively modify nova.conf so that the changes
> take effect (I am looking forward to change the network manager...)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Salman

mail at l0gin

Re: nova.conf query [In reply to]

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:17:55 +0300, Salman Malik <salmanmk [at] live> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A quick question regarding nova.conf: How can I modify nova.conf and get
> it to work with devstack. The problem that I am facing is after
> modifying nova.conf, I have to reboot so as to restart services. But
> when I reboot, devstack needs to be reinstalled all over again using
> stack.sh and in the process it rewrites /etc/nova/nova.conf.

You can restart services without reboot like this

sudo service nova-compute restart

> Also according to documentation we can set flags in nova.conf using
> --<flag_name>=<flag_value> format. Is that an obsolete format ? (because
> the nova.conf that devstack creates don't have any -- in it).

Essex has new format for nova.conf without dashes.

> Please let me know how to effectively modify nova.conf so that the
> changes take effect (I am looking forward to change the network
> manager...)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Salman

lzyeval at gmail

Re: nova.conf query [In reply to]

Yaguang,

I think you shoud type screen -x stack

If -S, I believe a new stack screen session would start.

Also I remember that devstack runs its services on the account you ran
stack.sh by default in the recent versions.

LZY

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 6:40 AM, heut2008 <heut2008 [at] gmail> wrote:

> devstack runs all nova services in a screen backgroud.you can sudo
> stack,then screen -S stack,you can see all services here.what you
> need do is change the nova.conf then stop the releative services,then
> start it again.
>
> 2012/4/16 Salman Malik <salmanmk [at] live>:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > A quick question regarding nova.conf: How can I modify nova.conf and get
> it
> > to work with devstack. The problem that I am facing is after modifying
> > nova.conf, I have to reboot so as to restart services. But when I reboot,
> > devstack needs to be reinstalled all over again using stack.sh and in the
> > process it rewrites /etc/nova/nova.conf.
> >
> > Also according to documentation we can set flags in nova.conf using
> > --<flag_name>=<flag_value> format. Is that an obsolete format ? (because
> the
> > nova.conf that devstack creates don't have any -- in it).
> >
> > Please let me know how to effectively modify nova.conf so that the
> changes
> > take effect (I am looking forward to change the network manager...)
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Salman

heut2008 at gmail

Re: nova.conf query [In reply to]

sorry,it is screen -x stack,run this in the account you installed devstack.

2012/4/16 Alex Nehaichik <mail [at] l0gin>:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:17:55 +0300, Salman Malik <salmanmk [at] live> wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> A quick question regarding nova.conf: How can I modify nova.conf and get
>> it to work with devstack. The problem that I am facing is after modifying
>> nova.conf, I have to reboot so as to restart services. But when I reboot,
>> devstack needs to be reinstalled all over again using stack.sh and in the
>> process it rewrites /etc/nova/nova.conf.
>

> You can restart services without reboot like this
>
> sudo service nova-compute restart
>

>> Also according to documentation we can set flags in nova.conf using
>> --<flag_name>=<flag_value> format. Is that an obsolete format ? (because the
>> nova.conf that devstack creates don't have any -- in it).
>

> Essex has new format for nova.conf without dashes.
>

>> Please let me know how to effectively modify nova.conf so that the changes
>> take effect (I am looking forward to change the network manager...)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Salman

lorin at nimbisservices

Re: nova.conf query [In reply to]

Hi Salman:

Can you send me a link to any docs that have the old --flag format?

Lorin

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 16, 2012, at 6:17 AM, Salman Malik <salmanmk [at] live> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A quick question regarding nova.conf: How can I modify nova.conf and get it to work with devstack. The problem that I am facing is after modifying nova.conf, I have to reboot so as to restart services. But when I reboot, devstack needs to be reinstalled all over again using stack.sh and in the process it rewrites /etc/nova/nova.conf.
>
> Also according to documentation we can set flags in nova.conf using --<flag_name>=<flag_value> format. Is that an obsolete format ? (because the nova.conf that devstack creates don't have any -- in it).
>
> Please let me know how to effectively modify nova.conf so that the changes take effect (I am looking forward to change the network manager...)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Salman

salmanmk at live

Re: nova.conf query [In reply to]

Here is one example, that I actually intended to configure:

http://docs.openstack.org/incubation/openstack-network/admin/content/EnablingQuantumManager-d1e453.html

But there are plenty out there I guess...
CC: openstack [at] lists

Re: nova.conf query [In reply to]

Thank you both. I will give it a try and let you know.

CC: salmanmk [at] live; openstack [at] lists

Yaguang,
I think you shoud type screen -x stack
If -S, I believe a new stack screen session would start.

Also I remember that devstack runs its services on the account you ran stack.sh by default in the recent versions.

LZY

devstack runs all nova services in a screen backgroud.you can sudo

stack,then screen -S stack,you can see all services here.what you

need do is change the nova.conf then stop the releative services,then

start it again.

2012/4/16 Salman Malik <salmanmk [at] live>:

> Hi All,

> A quick question regarding nova.conf: How can I modify nova.conf and get it

> to work with devstack. The problem that I am facing is after modifying

> nova.conf, I have to reboot so as to restart services. But when I reboot,

> devstack needs to be reinstalled all over again using stack.sh and in the

> process it rewrites /etc/nova/nova.conf.

> Also according to documentation we can set flags in nova.conf using

> --<flag_name>=<flag_value> format. Is that an obsolete format ? (because the

> nova.conf that devstack creates don't have any -- in it).

> Please let me know how to effectively modify nova.conf so that the changes

> take effect (I am looking forward to change the network manager...)

> Thanks!

> Salman

sdague at linux

Re: nova.conf query [In reply to]

On 04/16/2012 06:17 AM, Salman Malik wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A quick question regarding nova.conf: How can I modify nova.conf and get
> it to work with devstack. The problem that I am facing is after
> modifying nova.conf, I have to reboot so as to restart services. But
> when I reboot, devstack needs to be reinstalled all over again using
> stack.sh and in the process it rewrites /etc/nova/nova.conf.

devstack supports an EXTRA_OPTS flag in it's localrc that will let you
set additional values in there. You can set more than one flag by using
bash arrays, i.e.:

EXTRA_OPTS=(logdir=/var/log/nova auto_assign_floating_ip=True)

If you are using devstack, it's quite worth reading through the script
as well. It's pretty well documented, and there are lots of gems in
there like that.

-Sean

--
Sean Dague