Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

Essex, horizon, floating ip pool and compute node

jaybeltur at yahoo

Essex, horizon, floating ip pool and compute node

Hello,
I have installed lastest Essex version on 2 nodes. One controller node (nova-compute/nova-network/nova-api/nova-volume) and the other one is compute node (nova-compute/nova-api/nova-network) in flatDHCP mode.

I am able to launch VMs and associate private/floating ips and also ping and ssh to the VMs.

My controller node is on one network (16.78.*)  and my compute node is another network (16.89.*). So, i created 2 pools of floating ips, one for each network (so that I could associate guest VMs  appropriately based on the host they are launched on).
From the dashboard, i launched a VM. It was successful and showed the private ip address. But, the UI does not show on which node it was launched on. Without this information, I am not able allocate/associate the floating ip from appropriate pool. I have to go to the command line and run euca-describe-instances to check where it was launched and then, come back to dashboard to choose the floating ip from appropriate pool.

Is there a way on the horizon dashboard to find which host the guest VM actually got launched on?

Thanks,
-Jay

heut2008 at gmail

Re: Essex, horizon, floating ip pool and compute node [In reply to]

currently,you can not get this info on dashboard,may be in the future
you can get this info through an admin account.it is not necessary to
show this info to the customer (user).

2012/4/14 Jayashree(Jay) Beltur <jaybeltur [at] yahoo>:
> Hello,
> I have installed lastest Essex version on 2 nodes. One controller node
> (nova-compute/nova-network/nova-api/nova-volume) and the other one is
> compute node (nova-compute/nova-api/nova-network) in flatDHCP mode.
>
> I am able to launch VMs and associate private/floating ips and also ping and
> ssh to the VMs.
>
> My controller node is on one network (16.78.*)  and my compute node is
> another network (16.89.*). So, i created 2 pools of floating ips, one for
> each network (so that I could associate guest VMs  appropriately based on
> the host they are launched on).
> From the dashboard, i launched a VM. It was successful and showed the
> private ip address. But, the UI does not show on which node it was launched
> on. Without this information, I am not able allocate/associate the floating
> ip from appropriate pool. I have to go to the command line and run
> euca-describe-instances to check where it was launched and then, come back
> to dashboard to choose the floating ip from appropriate pool.
>
> Is there a way on the horizon dashboard to find which host the guest
> VM actually got launched on?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jay

gongysh at cn

Re: Essex, horizon, floating ip pool and compute node [In reply to]

My two cents
I think that depends on who is the customer. Is the one who will use the instance the customer or is the one who can launch the instance the customer?

If we need customer be able to launch the instance and config it, we need more work on dashboard.

Sent by: openstack-bounces+gongysh=cn.ibm.com [at] lists
currently,you can not get this info on dashboard,may be in the future
you can get this info through an admin account.it is not necessary to
show this info to the customer (user).

2012/4/14 Jayashree(Jay) Beltur <jaybeltur [at] yahoo>:
> Hello,
> I have installed lastest Essex version on 2 nodes. One controller node
> (nova-compute/nova-network/nova-api/nova-volume) and the other one is
> compute node (nova-compute/nova-api/nova-network) in flatDHCP mode.
>
> I am able to launch VMs and associate private/floating ips and also ping and
> ssh to the VMs.
>
> My controller node is on one network (16.78.*) and my compute node is
> another network (16.89.*). So, i created 2 pools of floating ips, one for
> each network (so that I could associate guest VMs appropriately based on
> the host they are launched on).
> From the dashboard, i launched a VM. It was successful and showed the
> private ip address. But, the UI does not show on which node it was launched
> on. Without this information, I am not able allocate/associate the floating
> ip from appropriate pool. I have to go to the command line and run
> euca-describe-instances to check where it was launched and then, come back
> to dashboard to choose the floating ip from appropriate pool.
>
> Is there a way on the horizon dashboard to find which host the guest
> VM actually got launched on?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jay

kiall at managedit

Re: Essex, horizon, floating ip pool and compute node [In reply to]

It sounds like you may be trying to use OpenStack in an unusual way.
OpenStack is intended for use by service providers, and as such, details
such as which server an instance is running are are irrelevant to the
customer.

Normally, all nodes running nova-network in a given
region/cluster/cell/zone/whatever would be able use the same set of
floating IPs.

Each server having it's own private pool would severely hamper a service
provider's ability to, for example, perform maintenance on a hardware node.

Thanks,
Kiall