salmanmk at live

nova-network service stuck

Hi All,

I am having problem with getting nova-service to work. The last line that is shown on the screen is: "2012-04-14 19:42:39 DEBUG nova.utils [-] Attempting to grab file lock "iptables" for method "apply"... from (pid=3649) inner /opt/stack/nova/nova/utils.py:936" and the service is stuck at this point. So when I do a nova-manage service list, network service turns out to be unhappy. I haven't found much help on how to 'unlock' iptables file.

Thoughts please ?

Salman

nathanael.i.burton at gmail

Re: nova-network service stuck [In reply to]

Check in Nova's lock dir, on my system it's /var/lib/nova/tmp. Remove any
files in there and restart the services.

Nate
On Apr 14, 2012 8:56 PM, "Salman Malik" <salmanmk [at] live> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am having problem with getting nova-service to work. The last line that
> is shown on the screen is: "2012-04-14 19:42:39 DEBUG nova.utils [-]
> Attempting to grab file lock "iptables" for method "apply"... from
> (pid=3649) inner /opt/stack/nova/nova/utils.py:936" and the service is
> stuck at this point. So when I do a nova-manage service list, network
> service turns out to be unhappy. I haven't found much help on how to
> 'unlock' iptables file.
>
> Thoughts please ?
>
> Salman

salmanmk at live

Re: nova-network service stuck [In reply to]

Thanks Nate for the quick reply.
There is no such directory on the system (I am using devstack if that helps...)

Thanks,
Salman

Re: nova-network service stuck [In reply to]

Salman,

The location for the locks is determined by the --lock_path setting in
nova.conf. This is apparently set to the base path where the nova
python code lives ($pybasedir) in devstack:

2012-04-14 21:35:42 DEBUG nova.service [-] lock_path : /opt/stack/nova
from (pid=3700) wait /opt/stack/nova/nova/service.py:442

Since, that directory has a bunch of important files in it, certainly
don't follow my previous advice and remove all the files in that
directory. There is a bug
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/785955) about nova not cleaning
up locks that should have been fixed in essex-4. As part of the fix
to that Mike Pittaro wrote a cleanup locks script that should be in
/opt/stack/nova/tools/clean_file_locks.py. Try running that and let
us know if that fixed it. If not look for *.lock files in
/opt/stack/nova

Thanks,

Nate

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Salman Malik <salmanmk [at] live> wrote:
> Thanks Nate for the quick reply.
> There is no such directory on the system (I am using devstack if that
> helps...)
>
> Thanks,
> Salman
>
> ________________________________
> Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:00:39 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Openstack] nova-network service stuck
> From: nathanael.i.burton [at] gmail
> To: salmanmk [at] live
> CC: openstack [at] lists
>

> Check in Nova's lock dir, on my system it's /var/lib/nova/tmp. Remove any
> files in there and restart the services.
> Nate
> On Apr 14, 2012 8:56 PM, "Salman Malik" <salmanmk [at] live> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am having problem with getting nova-service to work. The last line that is
> shown on the screen is: "2012-04-14 19:42:39 DEBUG nova.utils [-] Attempting
> to grab file lock "iptables" for method "apply"... from (pid=3649) inner
> /opt/stack/nova/nova/utils.py:936" and the service is stuck at this point.
> So when I do a nova-manage service list, network service turns out to be
> unhappy. I haven't found much help on how to 'unlock' iptables file.
>
> Thoughts please ?
>
> Salman

salmanmk at live

Re: nova-network service stuck [In reply to]

Thanks Nat. The script didn't help but removing lock files from the directory that you mentioned definitely helped.

Thanks,
Salman

mikeyp at lahondaresearch

Re: nova-network service stuck [In reply to]

The clean_file_locks.py script should do the job safely - it only
removes locks for processes which no longer exist.

Usually, if a lock was left behind, then a process somewhere also
failed, so check for that as well.

mike