Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

New Gerrit version (and server)

corvus at inaugust

New Gerrit version (and server)

Hi,

We've just upgraded Gerrit to version 2.3. There are a lot of changes
behind the scenes that we've been looking forward to (like being able to
store data in innodb rather than myisam tables for extra data
longevity). And there are a few visible changes that may be of interest
to OpenStack developers.

One new addition in 2.3 is "draft changes". The idea behind a draft
change in Gerrit is that it is a change that is not ready for merging,
or even general code review, but you would like to share it with some
people to get early comments. If you upload a change as a draft, by
default, no one else can see it. You must explicitly add each person
you would like to share it with as a reviewer. Reviewers you add can
leave comments, but can not vote at this stage. You can continue to
upload new patchsets to the change as it evolves, and once it is ready
for general review, you can click the "Publish" button. It will then
become a normal change in Gerrit that everyone can see, including the
earlier reviews from the draft stage. This is a one way transition;
once a draft is published, it can't be made a draft again.

If you're using git-review from source or the latest version from PyPI
(version 1.16, released today), you can easily upload a draft change by
adding the "-D" option (eg, "git review -D"). Earlier versions of
git-review also have the "-D" option, but the git ref that Gerrit uses
to indicate a change should be a draft was changed between the 2.3
release candidate and the final release; so if using "-D" results in an
error, you may need to upgrade.

You may notice some changes to the diff view. Notably, the header which
contained all of the possible viewing options has been split up into
several parts; you can switch between them by selecting options that
show up under the menu at the top. I recommend setting "Retain Header
On File Switch" under the Preferences section, as it is a nicer
experience when changing files.

Another notable new feature is the ability to add a group to the list of
reviewers for a change. Just type in the name of the group and click
"Add Reviewer" and all of the individuals in the group will be added to
the list of reviewers (and will see the change on their "review
requests" list.

Finally, we've modified some of our local OpenStack style changes so
that it is easier for us to track upstream changes in layout. It should
mean a little more consistency throughout the interface, though we
weren't able to keep the alternating row colors on the main table
without a disproportionate amount of effort. Do note that you can click
on a line in a table, and it will be highlighted to improve legibility.

We've tried to give this as much testing as possible before moving it
into production. If you encounter any issues, please let us know on IRC
(mtaylor, jeblair, LinuxJedi), via email at
<openstack-ci-admins [at] lists>, or you can file a bug at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ci/

Thanks,

Jim

markmc at redhat

Re: New Gerrit version (and server) [In reply to]

Hey,

On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 16:23 -0700, James E. Blair wrote:

> One new addition in 2.3 is "draft changes". The idea behind a draft
> change in Gerrit is that it is a change that is not ready for merging,
> or even general code review, but you would like to share it with some
> people to get early comments. If you upload a change as a draft, by
> default, no one else can see it. You must explicitly add each person
> you would like to share it with as a reviewer. Reviewers you add can
> leave comments, but can not vote at this stage. You can continue to
> upload new patchsets to the change as it evolves, and once it is ready
> for general review, you can click the "Publish" button. It will then
> become a normal change in Gerrit that everyone can see, including the
> earlier reviews from the draft stage. This is a one way transition;
> once a draft is published, it can't be made a draft again.

This sounds cool. Will the vulnerability management team use this for
embargoed security fixes?

Cheers,
Mark.

thierry at openstack

Re: New Gerrit version (and server) [In reply to]

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> One new addition in 2.3 is "draft changes". The idea behind a draft
>> change in Gerrit is that it is a change that is not ready for merging,
>> or even general code review, but you would like to share it with some
>> people to get early comments. If you upload a change as a draft, by
>> default, no one else can see it. You must explicitly add each person
>> you would like to share it with as a reviewer. Reviewers you add can
>> leave comments, but can not vote at this stage. You can continue to
>> upload new patchsets to the change as it evolves, and once it is ready
>> for general review, you can click the "Publish" button. It will then
>> become a normal change in Gerrit that everyone can see, including the
>> earlier reviews from the draft stage. This is a one way transition;
>> once a draft is published, it can't be made a draft again.
>
> This sounds cool. Will the vulnerability management team use this for
> embargoed security fixes?

I'll definitely look into that possibility... Depends a bit on the
security model around drafts (not being listed is not the same as being
private).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack

kiall at managedit

Re: New Gerrit version (and server) [In reply to]

The new gerrit version also supports per user namespaces, if enabled.

These allow users to create private branches with full push privileges etc..

Have these been enabled?

Thanks,
Kiall

Sent from my phone.
On Apr 13, 2012 12:33 p.m., "Thierry Carrez" <thierry [at] openstack> wrote:

> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> >> One new addition in 2.3 is "draft changes". The idea behind a draft
> >> change in Gerrit is that it is a change that is not ready for merging,
> >> or even general code review, but you would like to share it with some
> >> people to get early comments. If you upload a change as a draft, by
> >> default, no one else can see it. You must explicitly add each person
> >> you would like to share it with as a reviewer. Reviewers you add can
> >> leave comments, but can not vote at this stage. You can continue to
> >> upload new patchsets to the change as it evolves, and once it is ready
> >> for general review, you can click the "Publish" button. It will then
> >> become a normal change in Gerrit that everyone can see, including the
> >> earlier reviews from the draft stage. This is a one way transition;
> >> once a draft is published, it can't be made a draft again.
> >
> > This sounds cool. Will the vulnerability management team use this for
> > embargoed security fixes?
>
> I'll definitely look into that possibility... Depends a bit on the
> security model around drafts (not being listed is not the same as being
> private).
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)
> Release Manager, OpenStack

sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE

Re: New Gerrit version (and server) [In reply to]

Sounds awesome! Looking forward to Draft Changes, much needed.

-S

Re: New Gerrit version (and server) [In reply to]

> We've just upgraded Gerrit to version 2.3. There are a lot of
> changes
> behind the scenes that we've been looking forward to (like being able
> store data in innodb rather than myisam tables for extra data
> longevity). And there are a few visible changes that may be of
> interest
> to OpenStack developers.

Am I imagining things, or has a little bug crept into the way the
"Reviewer Verified Code-Review Approved" matrix is rendered?

i.e. if a reviewer +2's the patch but doesn't also approve it,
this is now indicated with a green tick in the Code-Review column
and also a red x in Approved column.

Previously this would have been a green tick and a blank.

The new style seems a tad misleading, i.e. it suggests a
"Do not submit" on a first glance.

Cheers,
Eoghan

mordred at inaugust

Re: New Gerrit version (and server) [In reply to]

On 04/13/2012 04:36 AM, Kiall Mac Innes wrote:
> The new gerrit version also supports per user namespaces, if enabled.
>
> These allow users to create private branches with full push privileges etc..
>
> Have these been enabled?

They have not - we need to verify what the behavior looks like over the
event interface so that we're not all of a sudden attempting to devstack
a bunch of in-progress stuff without meaning to.

We'll put it on the list of new things to investigate our possible use of!

Monty

> On Apr 13, 2012 12:33 p.m., "Thierry Carrez" <thierry [at] openstack
> <mailto:thierry [at] openstack>> wrote:
>
> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> >> One new addition in 2.3 is "draft changes". The idea behind a draft
> >> change in Gerrit is that it is a change that is not ready for
> merging,
> >> or even general code review, but you would like to share it with some
> >> people to get early comments. If you upload a change as a draft, by
> >> default, no one else can see it. You must explicitly add each person
> >> you would like to share it with as a reviewer. Reviewers you add can
> >> leave comments, but can not vote at this stage. You can continue to
> >> upload new patchsets to the change as it evolves, and once it is
> ready
> >> for general review, you can click the "Publish" button. It will then
> >> become a normal change in Gerrit that everyone can see, including the
> >> earlier reviews from the draft stage. This is a one way transition;
> >> once a draft is published, it can't be made a draft again.
> >
> > This sounds cool. Will the vulnerability management team use this for
> > embargoed security fixes?
>
> I'll definitely look into that possibility... Depends a bit on the
> security model around drafts (not being listed is not the same as being
> private).
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)
> Release Manager, OpenStack

anne at openstack

Re: New Gerrit version (and server) [In reply to]

Thanks James and team for the work here, this will be very useful for
documentation drafts.

Anne

cbehrens at codestud

Re: New Gerrit version (and server) [In reply to]

I'm noticing that core reviewers aren't tagged as a +2 anymore in the general review box. Instead, it just shows a check. (Except for my own reviews, which show as a +2). I have to look at the review comments to see if others voted +2 now.

- Chris

corvus at inaugust

Re: New Gerrit version (and server) [In reply to]

Chris Behrens <cbehrens [at] codestud> writes:

> I'm noticing that core reviewers aren't tagged as a +2 anymore in the
> general review box. Instead, it just shows a check. (Except for my
> own reviews, which show as a +2). I have to look at the review
> comments to see if others voted +2 now.

A check mark is equivalent to a +2 review. I believe all +2 votes
should be displayed as check marks but it's not immediately clear to me
why only one of the +2 votes is currently displayed as a check mark.

Until we arrive at an explanation, or fix, just know that +2 == green
check.

-Jim