Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

[SWIFT] Looking for an approach to attach an account or a container in operating system . Like a NAS of SAN driver.

tonytkdk at gmail

[SWIFT] Looking for an approach to attach an account or a container in operating system . Like a NAS of SAN driver.

I'm keeping in search and think about the easiest way for users to
leverage their swift account.

There has several client applications for accessing swift around . Either
Windows / Linux / Mac.

But eventually , user still need to install a client for this purpose.

What if user can attach their own account from swift-proxy (or something
else) directly via NFS or CIFS or iscsi target will be much better.

As I know , both linux and Windows has application to reach this target.
Such as Gladinet Server / S3FS etc.

How about provide such interfaces in Swift-proxy ?

If there's an exist discussion ticket , please let me know it .

Cheers

--
+Hugo Kuo+
tonytkdk [at] gmail

frederik at cluttr

Re: [SWIFT] Looking for an approach to attach an account or a container in operating system . Like a NAS of SAN driver. [In reply to]

Hi Kuo,

Here are some quick links:

https://github.com/redbo/cloudfuse
http://gladinet.blogspot.com/2010/10/openstack-windows-client.html

I'm running cloudfuse on Ubuntu without much to complain about.

Kind regards,
Frederik Van Hecke

*T:* +32487733713
*E:* frederik [at] cluttr
*W:* www.cluttr.be

*This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information which
is confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and
are intended for the sole use of the recipient(s)named above. Any use
of the information contained herein (including, but not limited to,
total or partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any
form) by persons other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited.
either by telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from any
computer. Thank you for your cooperation.*

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 17:57, Kuo Hugo <tonytkdk [at] gmail> wrote:

> I'm keeping in search and think about the easiest way for users to
> leverage their swift account.
>
> There has several client applications for accessing swift around . Either
> Windows / Linux / Mac.
>
> But eventually , user still need to install a client for this purpose.
>
> What if user can attach their own account from swift-proxy (or something
> else) directly via NFS or CIFS or iscsi target will be much better.
>
> As I know , both linux and Windows has application to reach this target.
> Such as Gladinet Server / S3FS etc.
>
> How about provide such interfaces in Swift-proxy ?
>
> If there's an exist discussion ticket , please let me know it .
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> +Hugo Kuo+
> tonytkdk [at] gmail
> + <tonytkdk [at] gmail>886 935004793

zaitcev at redhat

Re: [SWIFT] Looking for an approach to attach an account or a container in operating system . Like a NAS of SAN driver. [In reply to]

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 23:57:59 +0800
Kuo Hugo <tonytkdk [at] gmail> wrote:

> What if user can attach their own account from swift-proxy (or something
> else) directly via NFS or CIFS or iscsi target will be much better.

Would it not be easier to use an actual filesystem for that, like
GlusterFS? I don't quite see the point of layering a filesystem
API adaptor on top of Swift. Since applications that import a
filesystem API expect filesystem characteristics, performance is
going to be fragile at best.

-- Pete

justin at fathomdb

Re: [SWIFT] Looking for an approach to attach an account or a container in operating system . Like a NAS of SAN driver. [In reply to]

I made some patches to cloudfuse to get it to support Keystone auth:
http://blog.justinsb.com/blog/2012/03/29/openstack-storage-with-fuse/

I'd like to get this merged upstream, but haven't heard anything on my pull
request... Redbo? Bueller? :-)

I also saw an SFTP gateway floating about somewhere; that also seemed like
a good approach.

Should we make cloudfuse an openstack hosted project?

Frederik: If you do have any issues that should be fixed, I'd love to know
what they are!

Justin

Re: [SWIFT] Looking for an approach to attach an account or a container in operating system . Like a NAS of SAN driver. [In reply to]

Thanks , will have a look at cloudfuse.

I tried Gladinet solution already . But it do not support NFS protocol
currently

Frederik Van Hecke <frederik [at] cluttr> 於 2012年4月13日上午1:03 寫道:

Re: [SWIFT] Looking for an approach to attach an account or a container in operating system . Like a NAS of SAN driver. [In reply to]

SFTP looks interesting .

I plan to have a try with your cloudfuse branch for later testing.

Any Consideration will back to this ticket.

Justin Santa Barbara <justin [at] fathomdb> 於 2012年4月13日上午5:40 寫道:

juan at memset

Re: [SWIFT] Looking for an approach to attach an account or a container in operating system . Like a NAS of SAN driver. [In reply to]

On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 19:03 +0200, Frederik Van Hecke wrote:
> Hi Kuo,
>

> Here are some quick links:
>

> https://github.com/redbo/cloudfuse
> http://gladinet.blogspot.com/2010/10/openstack-windows-client.html
>

> I'm running cloudfuse on Ubuntu without much to complain about.

That's interesting! We'd love to run rsync on top of swift, but our
experience so far is quote discouraging.

We maintain a SFTP proxy to swift:

https://github.com/Memset/sftpcloudfs

And there's Chmouel FTP proxy too:

https://github.com/chmouel/ftp-cloudfs

As SFTP/FTP are "file transfer" protocols, not having a real filesystem
underneath it's not that important.

Regards,

Juan

--
Juan J. Martinez
Development, MEMSET

mail: juan [at] memset
web: http://www.memset.com/

Memset Ltd., registration number 4504980. 25 Frederick Sanger Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YD, UK.

tonytkdk at gmail

Re: [SWIFT] Looking for an approach to attach an account or a container in operating system . Like a NAS of SAN driver. [In reply to]

Hi Justin ,
I did a try with your version for keystone authentication via 2.0 API

It seems doing "GET" operation to keystone.

Should it be "POST" operation ?
http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-identity-service/2.0/content/POST_authenticate_v2.0_tokens_Service_API_Client_Operations.html

Hugo